Removing Skunk from under the shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
This skunk hasn't caused any problems thus far. I've built a new shed and will be tearing its home down. I called animal control who offered to drop off a trap. After it's captured they will euthanize it by many inhumane ways (I asked and spoke at length with officer)

Putting your feelings of killing the skunk aside, what should I do to remove guest from under my shed.

I was thinking of putting lights under the shed floor or leaving music playing to annoy the creature into moving.

I'm curious as to exactly how you would "cart it off into the woods"
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Trap it, then cart it off into the woods several miles from your house where it can start a new life?

I've heard if you throw a blanket over the cage they won't spray but I would research that .

Also , it now feels your property is it's territory so if you "cart" it a short distance away you may find it still hanging around except now it might be [censored] !

I would wait until dark so you know he's probably out of his den, then fill the hole with a few mothballs, then with stones/dirt and place a board over it. If you can make it hard for him to get back in, maybe he will just move on to somewhere else. Put some chicken wire around the base if he's getting in from more than one place. Hopefully it is not a female with young under there.

When it's not there pour some Ammonia around the shed. Most animals (including humans) simply can't stand the smell. It may take a few days but it will leave.

When I managed restaurants we would do this to discourage people from sleeping in the alleyways or in front of the restaurant. It worked.

Originally Posted By: 29662

When I managed restaurants we would do this to discourage people from sleeping in the alleyways or in front of the restaurant. It worked.
SO THAT WAS YOU!?!?!?! lol HAHAHAH

Skunks can be pretty aggressive.

I would let Animal control handle it if they offered to.

Catch in live trap, throw live trap in nearest pond. Check your email. Remove live trap, and throw skunk away. Some municipalities may not like or approve of or condone "relocating" or relocating animals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 29662
When it's not there pour some Ammonia around the shed. Most animals (including humans) simply can't stand the smell. It may take a few days but it will leave.

yeah I was going to say take a leak around the shed, and add some dryer sheets and mothballs.

The light idea is also good, put the light on a timer under the shed and then let it turn on automatically so youre far away. Make it inhospitable.

Im pretty sure we have a woodchuck under our shed, so this is somewhat timely...

I had the same problem a while back. So I called a guy who left a flyer at my house. He showed up with an old pickup, a baseball bat, an mean old dog with no nose, a burlap bag, and a shotgun. I asked him, whats the plan?. He said I'm going in the shed and beat the skunk in the head with the bat. He should run out of the shed where the dog who is trained,will grab him by the testicles so I can stuff him in the bag. So I asked whats the gun for? he said , if I can't get the skunk to run out before I do, shoot the dog.,,

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
I've heard if you throw a blanket over the cage they won't spray but I would research that .

Also , it now feels your property is it's territory so if you "cart" it a short distance away you may find it still hanging around except now it might be p issed !

I've done the blanket thing with a live trap and it worked. Put it in the back of my minivan and carted it a few miles up the road.

It came back.
frown.gif

You need to go for a LONG drive, or a short one to a pond.

I used the exhaust from my riding mower. I piped it under my shed with a hose. Took about 30 minutes and out came the skunk who walked wobbly but, took off, never to be seen again. Yaaa

Leave shed and skunk alone,

enjoy their presence...

Get a rabies bait or two from the State, County or local authorities and immunize him.

Rabies baits are small fish smelling chewable treats that contain a weakened form of rabies. Harmless to humans, animals eat them and get vaccinated...

Put the hose in there and flood him out, then remove the shed

Throw some firecrackers near or under there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back