Compressor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Can anyone educate me on the correct type of oil to use in my single cylinder direct drive hobby air compressor please.
I'm under the impression that it should be a straight weight mineral oil. Does 30wt sound about right.
I've tried to search but can't find a definitive answer. Its probably been about 4 years since it was first put into service and gets about 30 hours per year of use. Its looking pretty dark in the sight glass and I imagine the cheap chinese oil that came with it is well past its best.
Any help appreciated
Cheers Ricky

I have always used a non detergent 20 weight oil in my compressor.No need to get fancy with synthetics, its just a compressor.

Last edited:
I don't know what's available down under, just look for compressor oil. My Sears Craftsman compressor that I purchased in 1978 still has it's original oil. I was thinking about changing it 10 years ago, eventually I'll get around to it.

Originally Posted By: ricky66
Hi Guys,

Can anyone educate me on the correct type of oil to use in my single cylinder direct drive hobby air compressor please.
I'm under the impression that it should be a straight weight mineral oil. Does 30wt sound about right.
I've tried to search but can't find a definitive answer. Its probably been about 4 years since it was first put into service and gets about 30 hours per year of use. Its looking pretty dark in the sight glass and I imagine the cheap chinese oil that came with it is well past its best.
Any help appreciated
Cheers Ricky

From looking at the bottles of compressor oils most said they were 30 weight oil. My Emglo uses 20 weight non detergent compressor oil. I tried some 5W-50 I had left over and it ran hot. Went back to the 20 weight and all is good again.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: ricky66
Hi Guys,

Cheers Ricky

Yes.

I've got automotive oil in my two ultra high quality HFT compressors. I should put compressor oil in them, but lately if they see 10min/month of use, that's a lot.

SAE30 non detergent SA oil will be fine for your Chinese pump, and it only cost about $2.25 a quart. It's likely way better than the slop in there now.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
SAE30 non detergent SA oil will be fine for your Chinese pump, and it only cost about $2.25 a quart. It's likely way better than the slop in there now.

+1000

Thanks Gentlemen, appreciate your help. I'm on nightshift for the next 8 days so I'll hunt up some oil and change it this week.

Might as well do the mower, blower and line trimmer while I'm out in the workshop.

Those little 4 stroke Hondas only hold about 80 millilitres of oil. What do you guys recommend for these baby engines. Blower is 25cc and line trimmer is 35cc and I run a 10w40 Penrite synthetic in them ATM. They both get fairly light use, maybe 3 - 5 hours per month.

Cheers, Ricky.

Ricky,
supercheap has gulf western compressor oil for about $16/l.

I just use SAE 30 (SCA has chief, I've got delvac 1330)...they have ash/detergents

either will go in lawn equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back