Trying Rotella in JD Kawasaki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

15w-40 is too heavy for the Kaw in the 185.

I have one (and it is my second one). Stick with the T5 10w-30 in it, you're right where you need to be.
My 185 must be defective. Last year I had Mercury 25W-40 in it and never knew the difference between whatever I had in it before and the GTX 10W-30 in it now.

Yes, something is defective, but it isn't your 185.

Here's a hint. You appear to be in Florida. How often does it hit 10 degrees below zero there?

Yes, something is defective, but it isn't your 185.

Here's a hint. You appear to be in Florida. How often does it hit 10 degrees below zero there?

Pretty sure no one mows in 10 below weather. If you're planning on using equipment in arctic conditions you may need different oil. For most people most of the time 15w-40 would be fine in a 185. The people planning on serious winter use clearing snow probably bought a 318 instead of a lawnmower.

hatt, good point about not mowing in winter. However, plenty of us up north use our mowers well into November (for fall clean-up) when the morning temps can get down into the teens.

Having said that, I've used 15W-40 in OPE in those temps ... it's just not ideal. If I was changing oil with the seasons, I'd use something else. If it was a newer, tighter motor, I'd use a 10W-30 HDEO ... or possibly a 5W-40.

Well, we have an oil burning Briggs inteck 16 hp and I have run everything through it including 10w30 rotella which is what it has in it now. I have run 15w40 rotella, straight brigss brand 30 weight oil and who knows what inbetween. Its a serious oil burner and has been for the last 3-4 years and still has good power and still runs good believe it or not. I have to add a massive amount of oil after each mowing. 3 hour run time give or take.

Probably going to go with rotella 30 weight next lick. I dont think it matters much for me. Just trying to milk the last hour out of this engine.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
hatt, good point about not mowing in winter. However, plenty of us up north use our mowers well into November (for fall clean-up) when the morning temps can get down into the teens.

Having said that, I've used 15W-40 in OPE in those temps ... it's just not ideal. If I was changing oil with the seasons, I'd use something else. If it was a newer, tighter motor, I'd use a 10W-30 HDEO ... or possibly a 5W-40.
I wouldn't use 15w-40 either if planning on operating in freezing weather. I wasn't even advocating using 15w-40, simply stating that it would run fine. I didn't think I needed an "*except in arctic conditions" disclaimer on a lawnmower.

Pretty sure no one mows in 10 below weather. If you're planning on using equipment in arctic conditions you may need different oil. For most people most of the time 15w-40 would be fine in a 185. The people planning on serious winter use clearing snow probably bought a 318 instead of a lawnmower.

Wow. Who said anything about mowing when it is 10 below?

And who said that I clear snow with a 185? I do happen to also own a 425, which will outwork a 318 any day of the week.

You assume way too much, and end up making statements that make you look foolish. Please stop.

I have the FV -180 kawaski 6Hp and run Amsoil Diesel 5w-30 with a puralator filter.

Wow. Who said anything about mowing when it is 10 below?

And who said that I clear snow with a 185? I do happen to also own a 425, which will outwork a 318 any day of the week.

You assume way too much, and end up making statements that make you look foolish. Please stop.
Would you mind pointing out these foolish statements? One by one. Quote the statement and then give thorough details on the foolishness.

For what its worth, I will add my $0.02...

In my X320 Kawasaki powered Deere I have run Turf-gaurd since new (love the maintenance kits)

In my old Deere 210 with the Cast Iron K-series Kohler, I run John Deere plus 50 15-40 in the summer time and turf-gaurd 10-30 for snow blowing duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back