DONE with Rockauto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's it.

Ordered from them a few times this year. GREAT part prices, but for a Canadian, it's a trap. Don't fall for it.

It's bad enough I have to eat a massive customs brokerage fee, paid out as gratuity to some parasite that took a customs course, but when parts come in defective, you're just forced to eat it unless you want to take an arobatics course you never signed up for.

But that's okay, understandable, so like an idiot I keep ordering.
Place order on the 16th of July, product ships from California and Ohio. The CA package takes about a week. The Ohio package makes it into Canada and "clears customs" (see: parasite lays it's eyes on the package) THE NEXT DAY, July 17th.

It's been sitting there, one city away, in some LANDMARK logistics warehouse since then.

Like, from the 17th to the end of the m onth, they couldn't "un-consolidate" the bloody thing and get it moving?????????????????????????

CRIPES MAN. Rockauto said they would refund the card, nice. Said it would take 2 bus days,which really means "yeah, we're going to leave it for the weekend and see if the package moves in that time, and on monday we'll refund your card".

http://www.landmarkglobal.com/
SO [censored]. Well, off to buy the same parts locally for a FANTASTIC markup...........
mad.gif

/rant

I tried partsmonkey.com. I got free shipping with order over $75. They sent me a ball joint with a missing castle nut, and they sent me another one and said to keep the original. I also returned some parts and was happy with the transaction. They are in Canada so no customs.

Last edited:
You're right...Rockauto is to blame for Canadian customs and common carrier shipping delays.

Sounds like your rant is more against US online retailers and the Canadian government, not RA.

RockAuto sources from multiple suppliers. The prices are low, but it's a bad deal for shipping even in the U.S. That has to be multiplied when you have to randomly deal with customs in Canada.
My understanding is that the amount you have to pay to clear customs is unpredictable and varies wildly from one package to the next.

Stuff happens but just because there is a couple of extra layers of difficulty getting it into Canada, does not make Rockauto that much more culpable when there is a mistake.

Not Rockauto's fault. They provided the parts at a good price. They cannot control shipping and border issues. I love them and have had nothing but great experiences..and I buy a lot from them.

Sorry to hear you guys up north can't take advantage of Rock Auto. I order from there all the time. Great quick part delivery and great prices.

Bummer for you guys.

Jeff

Worst experience with RockAuto was for a 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS (AE86) alternator.

Ordered the part, Part arrives and the bolt holes are slightly different.

I call them up thinking a simple return will work, and its about three hours, and five emails of pictures and phone calls.

I had to get a measuring tape, and set them side by side, with a tape measure so they could see in the pictures the bolt holes didnt line up the same. It was some CSI level of photography.

All because they have it down as a part that will fit, that wouldnt fit.

It was back to back, installer error, until I finally got them the pictures.

Last edited:
I have ordered from them on and off. Unfortunately, I always forget about them when ordering parts.

I ordered a set of camber bolts for the Focus. I got two different ones - one much larger than the other.

RMA process was fairly painless. They just sent me a replacement free of charge and told me to keep the wrong one ... likely because it would cost more to ship them the replacement than for them to just purchase one (in a large batch) and send out.

Originally Posted By: djb
RockAuto sources from multiple suppliers. The prices are low, but it's a bad deal for shipping even in the U.S.

The shipping is clearly not always "a bad deal."

I always compare prices and Rock Auto is sometimes the cheapest by a lot, even after shipping, when comparing Amazon, ebay, Advance Auto after discount and other places.

You need to compare prices on every order to be a smart shopper, but to make a blanket statement like "it's a bad deal" is inaccurate.

my freezer is plastered with rockauto magnets for a reason. they kick petunia, and will always get my business. when they are cheaper than amazon or ebay.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: djb
RockAuto sources from multiple suppliers. The prices are low, but it's a bad deal for shipping even in the U.S.

The shipping is clearly not always "a bad deal."

I always compare prices and Rock Auto is sometimes the cheapest by a lot, even after shipping, when comparing Amazon, ebay, Advance Auto after discount and other places.

You need to compare prices on every order to be a smart shopper, but to make a blanket statement like "it's a bad deal" is inaccurate.

Yes, sometimes Amazon is more than the discounted prices I get from Fred Beans internet sales, let alone RA's prices.

On other items, they (Amazon) beat everyone else by a large margin.
There is NO rhyme or reason to this, and exactly which parts will be cheaper, where, so each and every single one must be checked at each source.
frown.gif

I'm in Clovis California and the RockAuto warehouse is just few miles down the freeway in Burbank California. I order something on Wednesday and get the package to my front door on Friday.
55.gif

I don't understand the original post at all.

A couple of years ago, RockAuto arranged with a Canadian Customs Clearing Agency (L M Clark) to clear RockAuto Canadian shipments through Canadian Customs, so for a couple of years now I have paid NO Customs brokerage charges. In addition to ground shipping rates, which I find to be very reasonable, the only other item that is added on to the bill is the sales tax, HST (13% in Ontario)

I buy a fair bit from RockAuto and am happy with their prices and service. That said, there are some things I avoid
1) Shipping from multiple locations. That gets real expensive. Since 90% of the work I do on my truck is prophylactic maintenance, I am usually not in any hurry for a part, and if it has to come from a different location, I order that part in a subsequent order.
2) Heavy items, like brake drums and rotors. Shipping gets to be expensive.
3) Items that might have to be returned under warranty, like starters and alternators. These items I will purchase locally.

I've ordered several items from RockAuto, they are rarely cheaper than Amazon, but when they are, they get my business. For a recent cap and rotor job on my Volvo, I got the cap from Amazon, and the rotor from RockAuto, as it was $2 cheaper with shipping, compared to Amazon's $11 with free shipping.

O2 sensor for the Swede was a bad unit, and not only did RockAuto refund(48hrs) with no questions asked, but they did not require that I send back the bad unit.

Can't speak for Canadian logistics, but they are the bees knees for stateside customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back