Wire Backed Media Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
In filters such as the FU, NAPA Platinum, Purolator Synthetic, etc., the wire backing is most likely a type of stainless steel. Does anyone know anymore about the type of steel it is or a website with any information about it?

Oh man, I totally read that wrong. I read it as "Wife Backed into Mild Steel." I thought that was a pretty strange thread discussion topic.
confused2.gif

As for the type of steel used, I have no idea.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Why would it need to be stainless; like it has any chance to corrode submerged in hot oil ?

Well, stainless steel would be my choice of steel to use. This is why I asked said Q?, to get as much information on the type of steel that is being used.
Do you know what type it is?

^^^ What's the concern? Or is this just a trivia question?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Geeze man, can't one just ask a Q? without being Crucified?
I was just trying to add a new subject to the oil filter section because I was curious about the type of steel being used. If it is going to add this much drama to the situation, just forget about it.

Good question, maybe this will be a task for the next FU cutter.

Take some of the screen out and see if it'll rust.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I just cut one from my xB, I'll get the magnet & see later today.

Depending on the alloy content of the stainless, it can still be attracted to a magnet.

Depending on the alloy content of the stainless, it can still be attracted to a magnet.

This is true.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I was just trying to add a new subject to the oil filter section because I was curious about the type of steel being used. If it is going to add this much drama to the situation, just forget about it.

Hit a nerve it seems - sorry.
eek.gif
I was just wondering what the focus is ... maybe you wanted to recycle it for something and was after stainless steel for some reason.

My guess is that it's not stainless as, stainless wouldn't be used for the center tube or the base plate so why would stainless be needed for the media backing.

This is true.

The "rust test" is a better indication. If it's all oily, clean it well then submerge it in some salt water for while and see what happens.

Hit a nerve it seems - sorry.
eek.gif
I was just wondering what the focus is ... maybe you wanted to recycle it for something and was after stainless steel for some reason.

My guess is that it's not stainless as, stainless wouldn't be used for the center tube or the base plate so why would stainless be needed for the media backing.

Sort of, and I apologize for my reaction.
I just thought that I could change the monotony here in the oil filter section just a bit. It's fun to read about all the topics on oil filters and this subject has never been brought up before. At least I think it hasn't. I didn't do a GOOGLE search, so....
27.gif

I'm thinking it could be aluminum. I'll be cutting one open soon and will check it out.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
I'd bet good money that it's mild steel.

That being said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it's a 300-series stainless.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe a 304 type stainless steel. 316 would be a bit extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back