Spray wax/detailer vs conventional wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Meguiars Quick Detailer and the like for a while now after a body shop guy suggested that is all that is needed. It seems to be quite effective for me as water beads, and I have a good shine. What do you guys think for the average car that is not garaged will a spray wax once a month or so be sufficient vs the regular wax/polish routine?

Last edited:
Since we bought new, our Lexus RX-300 in 2001, quick detail/WaUD type products is all I have been using on our vehicles listed in my signature. I use them after each washing and they all look Frikken Great! People tell me so!

Since you're doing it once a month I would think so as well. I used to wax four times a year when I parked outside at work. Now that I'm in a parking garage and garage at home I use only cheap Meguiar's cleaner wax once a year. More than adequate with the little UV exposure the car gets now.

It's too bl**dy hot here to do a full-scale paste or liquid waxing between March and November. I was the car weekly and use a wax-as-you-dry spray, then immediately clean off any contaminants (birds, etc.) with the Quick Detailer.

I use quick detailer in my garaged show car and hand wax on our drivers cause they are outside. If you stay up on the spray wax every month you are golden using it for year round protection

It will be sufficient monthly, but there are a ton of different spray products now. Spray wax is the type that you spray on a clean car, let it dry then buff off. I'm not much of a fan of those ever since I tried the Armor All Extreme Shield Wax. It's easier and takes less time. You just slather it on with one hand and wipe off with the other, no need to wait and it lasts a year over a fully prepped surface!

That along with using a wash and wax + spray wax as your dry is what I have been recommending on my friend's and families' cars. Their cars look great, but as a result of the car looking shinier, they also have been washing them FAR less.

This might be a silly question, but you're washing the car with H2O and soap before applying the spray wax, not using the detailer and then the spray wax, right?

A lot of guys use the detailer as a substitute for a water wash, which frankly is crazy. Sure, there are 'Special lubricants' in the detailer, but you really can't use enough to safely wash away the crud that's stuck to your paint w/o scratching it.

I think a spray wax btwn regular waxing is fine, as long as both follow a 'Proper' bath with lots of H2O and car wash detergent.

Originally Posted By: Dohc98vteC
I have been using Meguiars Quick Detailer and the like for a while now after a body shop guy suggested that is all that is needed. It seems to be quite effective for me as water beads, and I have a good shine. What do you guys think for the average car that is not garaged will a spray wax once a month or so be sufficient vs the regular wax/polish routine?

Spray wax is all I use anymore. I like a shiny surface that beads water well. I'm pretty easy to please. I could spend hundreds of dollars and tens of hours on other more rigorous processes, but for me, spray wax checks all of the blocks.

Spray wax, by the way, doesn't replace regular car washes with soap and water for me. It replaces the more traditional liquid or paste wax.

I've been using Eagle One Nano Wax for 10+ years now and my car's almost 20 year old pain still looks and feels showroom fresh and is still slick to the touch.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
If you want a GENUINE spray wax that contains carnauba then I can recommend one without reservation:

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html

It doesn't take much, if it smears then you over applied. The look and durability surpasses some paste waxes and the ease of use is unsurpassed.

Wow...nice stuff...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
If you want a GENUINE spray wax that contains carnauba then I can recommend one without reservation:

It doesn't take much, if it smears then you over applied. The look and durability surpasses some paste waxes and the ease of use is unsurpassed.

Wow...nice stuff...

This looks great, but it's not a wax-as-you-dry spray, right? Your car needs to be clean and dry before you spray it on?

I tend to wax my car twice a year in the spring and fall but after every wash I hit it with Eagle One Nano Wax and have been happy with how well it works. If you wash your car twice a month then it is usually enough to use a spray wax.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Wow...nice stuff...

This looks great, but it's not a wax-as-you-dry spray, right? Your car needs to be clean and dry before you spray it on?

With this I think so...

Here's what I do, I use Meguires Gold Class carnuba paste, let it dry and buff it off. When I'm finished with that step, I get the Gold Class Carnuba quik wax, spray it on and spread it out with an applicator, let IT dry and then using a buffer go over it a few times, the shine is INCREDIBLE!!. In between these "Double Waxings", if I get rain spots or just some dust, I use Meguires quick detailer, in the red spray bottle. Stays beautiful all summer.

Last edited:
DG Aquawax is wax-as-u-dry. Good rep.
I have use Meg's Ult quick spray wax. Like it.

Curious about Optimum - never tried it. Will this be superior to the Meg's Ult QW I've been using ??

And a QD is not the same as a spray wax, right?
QD, then QW, I thought.

Last edited:
Wow...nice stuff... [/quote]
[/quote]

I have used it as wax as u dry. That was a stated use on the gallon I bought years ago. In fact I just used it that way. Now Optimum has wash and wax no-rinse similar to their fantastic original no-rinse product, but I haven't used it yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back