EricTheCarGuy @ Valvoline, 35min video about oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Two things I question in that video. They said using a 10/40 wt oil, over a 10/30 weight oil causes more wear at start up. How can that be? And that heavy oil doesn't dissipate heat as well as a thinner oil. Harley 's been using 20/50 wt oil forever and it seems to work fine . I'm sure they would recommend a lighter oil if they thought it would cool their motors down some. They only recommend 10/40 wt in the winter when temps are under 40f.So I'm not buying what their selling.,,

A 10w40 is thicker than a 10w30 at the same temperature. The 40 grade gets its 10w rating at a warmer temperature than the 10w30.

Thinner oil does cool better, there's no denying that. The Harley needs 20w50 since it doesn't have water cooling to keep the temperature in check it will always run a hotter oil temperature than a water cooled engine.

Overall I like ETCG but you have to keep his advice and videos in perspective of where he comes from and not as an "ideal" perfect example of how to approach a subject whether it is car repair or car oils.

His experience was as a flat rate tech and that includes is preponderance to get things done the quickest way and not always the correct way. His lack of using torque wrenches on many repairs and other precision measuring device a factory manual may call out for, is just what he is use to. With that, he his experience or expertise in oil is just like many other mechanics, sometimes correct, but many times just repeating shop rumors of the trade.

Usually car maker aim is 10 psi/1000 rpm.so any oil close to that value will be great .exemple :the ep 10w30 is technicly too thick but on closer inspection is pretty mutch what would be ideal

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
What I found most interesting in the video was actually when she mixed the basestock with additives. The basestock & dispersants were completely clear, only the detergents were brown.

I assumed that the basestock would be yellow/amber itself since it comes from crude.

It appears she was working on a gear lube.

The base oil is completely clear, whether mineral oil or synthetic.

The dark brown stuff was the Performance Improvement (PI = additive] package because it comes in a concentrated form.

The performance improvement package usually contains everything but the Viscosity Index Improver and dyes.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqkOZAkXZw

I'm only half way through right now but the answers Valvoline gives seem to promote 3K mile OCI as "cheap insurance" and that using a different grade than what the manual says = blown engine.

I was looking forward to watching the Lego movie this evening. So glad you posted this instead

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqkOZAkXZw

I'm only half way through right now but the answers Valvoline gives seem to promote 3K mile OCI as "cheap insurance" and that using a different grade than what the manual says = blown engine.

What if your manual gives your three choices like 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 ?

People like wemay get all kinds of confused.
grin2.gif

LOL! Yeah, now running krill oil in the turbo.
thumbsup2.gif

What I found most interesting is that the Valvoline guy said that 'synthetics are not about extended drain intervals'..(paraphrasing from somewhere around the middle of the video which is when I stopped watching)....

He was saying it is not the sole reason ^^^^^^^ it is just a bonus in addition to other superior properties.

This does make sense since Valvoline doesn't make an extended drain oil like the Mobil 1 EP. You COULD extend any synthetic to 8-10k miles but then you'll start building up deposits & varnish like a dino oil @ 5-6k intervals. I've seen lots of pictures of high mileage engines with 5-6k dino intervals all their life and while there was no sludge, there was a lot of varnish.

The main benefit of syns with more detergents & better basestock is to keep engines cleaner while maintaining the same interval.

Originally Posted By: pbm
What I found most interesting is that the Valvoline guy said that 'synthetics are not about extended drain intervals'..(paraphrasing from somewhere around the middle of the video which is when I stopped watching)....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back