Advance Auto $9.99 Mobil1 ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Mobil 1 ATF is great for non-boutique priced atf. For power steering Redline PS FTW. I used to use Valvoline Synpower PS for a flush before basting and replacing and had great results.

Whatever happened to Synpower brake fluid? I always used that in my brake and clutch masters. Did Valvoline quit making it,or replace it with something else? What's the best over the counter synth brake fluid?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Whatever happened to Synpower brake fluid? I always used that in my brake and clutch masters. Did Valvoline quit making it,or replace it with something else? What's the best over the counter synth brake fluid?

Valvoline discontinued the Synpower brake fluid a few years ago.

If there is an O'Reilly near you, they have Wagner Severe Duty brake fluid, but it's about $15/qt. Boiling points 500 dry, 356 wet.

Castrol brake fluid can be had for $10/qt but usually only in small independent parts stores, although I think Carquest carries it, too. Boiling points 509/329.

Napa carries Pentosin and ATE brake fluids. They range from $10-15/qt.

However, the fluid you use isn't anywhere near as important as changing it every few years, or whenever you replace the pads and rotors.

I use the Wagner SD fluid and do the flush when I replace the pads and rotors.

was able to evacuate about 3oz. from the p/s fill canister on my Toyota, I'll keep this up every day til I work thru a couple quarts..it is dirty for 34k, much worse than the ATF..

any ballpark p/s unit capacity for Toyota?

Originally Posted By: dblshock
was able to evacuate about 3oz. from the p/s fill canister on my Toyota, I'll keep this up every day til I work thru a couple quarts..it is dirty for 34k, much worse than the ATF..

It might be easier to do a full flush by removing one of the lines. It takes a lot less fluid as well//

So tonite the 4oz. extract look alot more red, I drove probably 50 miles today..is it possible the first 4oz. from last nite didn't circulate?

So tonite the 4oz. extract look alot more red, I drove probably 50 miles today..is it possible the first 4oz. from last nite didn't circulate?

It circulates pretty quick, if you turned the engine on and drove it and used the steering wheel much. The pump is always running and should move fluid quickly.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Mobil 1 ATF is great for non-boutique priced atf. For power steering Redline PS FTW. I used to use Valvoline Synpower PS for a flush before basting and replacing and had great results.

All brake fluid is synthetic, it is made of glycol ethers.

Valvoline simply put their DOT4 brake fluid in a white bottle, and simply called it Valvoline DOT4/DOT3. I don't know if the properties of the fluid have changed, but I have used both the new and old versions, and they work well for me.

Do you have ABS brakes? DOT4 LV is designed to make ABS systems work better. I use Pentosin DOT4 LV in my family's cars that have ABS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back