MMO, the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is testament to Marvel Mystery Oil I thought I would share, for both the supporters and haters of MMO on this forum:

In the 1960s and 1970s, my grandfather was an 18 wheeler owner/operator, often driving cross country. He routinely got 1 million +! miles between rebuilds simply by always using 20% MMO and 80% engine oil. Of course this included regular recommended oil and filter changes, and engine tune ups. Keep in mind that this was during a time of greatly inferior oil base stock and detergent quality. When the engines were finally gone through they were amazingly clean, stuff of legend among mechanics in the area.

Discuss.
24.gif

Last edited:
yeah that's all I need is some stickers it has nothing in it that does anything period.It may clean the oil possibly but I would use 10 different things before I wasted my time on mmo.What kills me is the ones that think adding it to the gas does anything lol.They are the reason lucas is still in business.Tired of seeing threads about a worthless product every day or two.The MSDS confirms its nothing that does a [censored] thing .............

Originally Posted By: cknight49090
yeah that's all I need is some stickers it has nothing in it that does anything period.It may clean the oil possibly but I would use 10 different things before I wasted my time on mmo.What kills me is the ones that think adding it to the gas does anything lol.They are the reason lucas is still in business.Tired of seeing threads about a worthless product every day or two.The MSDS confirms its nothing that does a [censored] thing .............

how do you "know" that marvel mystery oil is a "snake oil" Do you even know whats in it?

the 62 pete i had is still hauling dirt 5 days a week. it had whatever oil previous owners ran. then what ever i found on sale.its still running its original engine,pistons etc.

Listen there is threads on this useless product everyday nobody with any sense supports this product to do anything only one person.Its a waste of time and money and for those that think octane booster does anything or people that think they can tell from their butt dyno when they use 93 instead of 87.Its good for nothing period............

Listen there is threads on this useless product everyday nobody with any sense supports this product to do anything only one person.Its a waste of time and money and for those that think octane booster does anything or people that think they can tell from their butt dyno when they use 93 instead of 87.Its good for nothing period............

Since you are such a big fan, here is where you write to get your MMO Decals. Make sure to send a self addressed/stamped envelope:

Marvel Oil Company
Attn: MMO Decals
625 Willowbrook Centre Parkway
Willowbrook, IL 60527

By the way, MMO is not an octane booster. It is an engine/gas cleaner with a 5W oil.

Last edited:
I know its not an octane booster its not anything at all I don't buy it and never will let alone getting some stickers for some [censored] that I can get at the gas station kerosene

I know its not an octane booster its not anything at all I don't buy it and never will let alone getting some stickers for some [censored] that I can get at the gas station kerosene

yeah go ahead, run 20% kerosene in your engine and tell me how that works out.

MMO is not kerosene.

Last edited:
I never would I use oil and that's it but kerosene does the same as MMO for a lot less money if I where to use it in the oil.MMO is for fools ..............

I never would I use oil and that's it but kerosene does the same as MMO for a lot less money if I where to use it in the oil.MMO is for fools ..............

Can you objectively state why MMO is for fools? And I'll ask again: Do you actually know what MMO contains? One more question: Have you, or anyone you know ever used MMO?

I think you hate it but don't understand why you hate it.
13.gif

Last edited:

There are quite a few people on BITOG who use MMO regularly in their oil and/or gas. And as far as the MSDS showing that it doesn't have anything that does anything, dermapaint has posted the following quite a few times (I don't know if it is originally his, but he is the one who posts it most often):

Originally Posted By: dermapaint
70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well. [Naphthenic oils have more solvency and are more polar (they are attracted to metal more), but oxidize faster.

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

38 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- AW/EP agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - for the scent
- Not just for the cent, is also a cleaner. may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color
- well this one just colors the stuff

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
Here is testament to Marvel Mystery Oil I thought I would share, for both the supporters and haters of MMO on this forum:

In the 1960s and 1970s, my grandfather was an 18 wheeler owner/operator, often driving cross country. He routinely got 1 million +! miles between rebuilds simply by always using 20% MMO and 80% engine oil. Of course this included regular recommended oil and filter changes, and engine tune ups. Keep in mind that this was during a time of greatly inferior oil base stock and detergent quality. When the engines were finally gone through they were amazingly clean, stuff of legend among mechanics in the area.

Discuss.
24.gif

That's a lot of miles, especially for a truck from that time period. Good stuff!

NMBurb02-I found the MMO contents somewhere and have been posting them for quite some time.

The first time I actually saw MMO do something was about 10 years ago in the marina where I had my boat. The guy behind me at the dock was complaining about a tick he had in the motor.Finally someone told him to try MMO. So He dumped a 16 oz can in the oil of his 4 cyl motor. It was ticking as he let it idle. After about a half hr, the ticking stopped. He took it for a ride and said it was quiet the whole time. He changed the oil shortly afterwards and the ticking never came back. Apparently, using good oil is not a guarantee you won't develop problems. But a little extra cleaning ability won't hurt either.,,

It CAN help to clean an engine. Doesn't mean it WILL clean YOUR engine but it has been shown to me here on this website that it can clean up a dirty engine. I use it from time to time just before an oil change. If I remember to do so. No need to set your da__ed hair on fire about it...

If you want to use a good oil & add nothing, I can't fault you. If you would like to try a bit of MMO from time to time, I think that it may be not be as useful as it was thirty or forty years ago (commonly used in the War's IC engines) but I can't fault you, either.

Go in peace.

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back