Another Chrysler recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one sounds scary.
Quote:
After much debating and hand-wringing, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration now says it has "no reservations" with Chrysler's plan to recall certain Jeep Liberty and Grand Cherokee models over concerns that their fuel tanks, which are located behind the rear axle, could rupture or leak in the event of a rear impact.

Can you imagine a major auto maker openly defying the NHTSA?
Quote:
The longstanding argument between the two entities saw Chrysler openly defy the Feds after a request to recall 2.7 million units back in June.

Here's where it gets scary.
Quote:
Affected vehicles will get a trailer hitch installed free of charge, which Chrysler says will provide an additional degree of protection for the fuel tanks in the event of a crash.

If this was a GM recall, and installing a hitch was the fix, there would be 10 pages of anger within 2 minutes of this being posted.

Here's the vehicles recalled.
Quote:
1.56-million 1993-2004 model year Grand Cherokee SUVs, along with 2002-2007 Liberty models.

A final thought.
Quote:
The Center for Auto Safety, which instigated the original investigation, isn't exactly pleased with this outcome. Following word of the resolution, Clarence Ditlow, the advocacy group's director, had this to say: "It is tragic that NHTSA approved Chrysler's sham trailer hitch recall for Jeeps that explode in rear impacts."

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/20/nhtsa-jeep-grand-cherokee-liberty-trailer-hitch-recall/

That reminds me when gm put the fuel tanks on the outside frame rail of some of their trucks and rumors started about them exploding in side crashes.

Old news from back in the first of the year. The latest news so far that I've heard on the recall is that the part's will take close to 2 years to make for the affected vehicles at the rate they are being made.

I've got a hitch and skid plates on my Jeep GC so there is nothing more that's going to come for mine. I'm I scared to drive it. No.

Shoot it to them a year and a half for the parts for the airbag recall to get released. After the recall notice was sent out for the airbags.

Last edited:
Chrysler sure has their contractors busy. I'm waiting for a wiring harness for the drivers door of my 12 T&C. Apparently mine can catch on fire without warning. Everyone is having recalls now, including the imports. But really, with all the hubbub about tanks outside the frames in years past, why even design one there in the first place?

Originally Posted By: whip
If this was a GM recall, and installing a hitch was the fix, there would be 10 pages of anger within 2 minutes of this being posted.

Yup, but it's a Chrysler recall, so we'll have 2 pages talking about "typical Chrysler engineering" plus another 8 pages of Fiat jokes.

Should I blame the Germans, the Italians, or the Americans for this?

I would be thrilled if someone offered to put a trailer hitch on my vehicles for free, even happier if it kept them from exploding.

I hope they wire them as well?

When does it end? Recalling a TWENTY YEAR OLD vehicle for something that, when built, met all applicable safety standards is idiocy! What next: recall any car old enough to not have an airbag?!?!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
When does it end? Recalling a TWENTY YEAR OLD vehicle for something that, when built, met all applicable safety standards is idiocy! What next: recall any car old enough to not have an airbag?!?!

Exactly. At some reasonable time the mfgr has to be relieved of liability...

What next: recall any car old enough to not have an airbag?!?!

LOL You're right, that would mean they could recall my E-150.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Exactly. At some reasonable time the mfgr has to be relieved of liability...

The sad part is, from data the Jeeps actually have a lower incidence of deaths from fire versus the avg of other cars from the same time period.

Chrysler is pushing back on this one, as they realized it's not a real problem. Crashes where the tank is ruptured and causes a fire are pretty rare, and in the majority of those, you'd be very badly injured or dead before the fire even got to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back