Linux Mint Lost and Found folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it normal to have a Lost and Found folder in Linux Mint? Is that something that comes with the original installation and files get deposited there is there is a crash resulting in damaged/lost files? Or is the folder created after the event occurs and there are damaged files in it? I have the folder but no way to access it.

For the record it is a hidden folder in the File System and is visible only if I hit "ctl+h". Thanks

Yes, standard in all UNIX and Linux systems. Used in the fsck (file system check) process.

This is Ubuntu, the machine from which I post this.

/> $ ls -lrt
total 104
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 10 18:12 mnt
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 16 21:21 srv
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 16 21:21 lib64
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Jun 18 13:45 lost+found
drwxrwxr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 18 13:50 cdrom
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 18 13:50 home

The lost+found directory (it is only a "folder" when looked @ with a GUI tool) is owned by root, so to access it you have to "sudo -s" to get admin access; then it is available to look @.

Much more important in the old days of unix/linux when the filesystems were not journaled. Filesystem integrity has gotten better with all OSes over the years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
The lost+found directory (it is only a "folder" when looked @ with a GUI tool) is owned by root, so to access it you have to "sudo -s" to get admin access; then it is available to look @.

Much more important in the old days of unix/linux when the filesystems were not journaled. Filesystem integrity has gotten better with all OSes over the years.

I was under the impression that folder only appeared if there were lost or damaged files. In other words it gets created if/when a problem occurred? Otherwise it isn't there? I realize I could be wrong, I'm still learning.

From the terminal what would be the exact command to view the contents? Thanks.

It is there all the time. You don't need to look in there. It isn't like stuff shows up there unless the filesystem has serious problems; you would know it if it did.

user@u1404:~$ sudo -s
[sudo] password for user:
root@u1404:~# cd /lost+found
root@u1404:/lost+found# ls -l (that is ell esss minus ell)
total 0
root@u1404:/lost+found#

It has to be the prior to problems.

Also notice, it's a larger folder that it's peers.

If you ever find anything in there, it will probably be of the form #123456

I know Sun/Oracle's UFS far more than the file systems Linux uses, but it's my understanding, from the outside looking it, they behave similarly. (Yes, I know that under the hood they are different, some with journaling, etc.)

This is probably more than you wanted to know.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I was under the impression that folder only appeared if there were lost or damaged files. In other words it gets created if/when a problem occurred? Otherwise it isn't there? I realize I could be wrong, I'm still learning.

From the terminal what would be the exact command to view the contents? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back