My Review of the 1997 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on not being "one of those people" anymore!

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Congrats on not being "one of those people" anymore!

wink.gif

A Camry is a totally different animal than a Prius

OP just wanted an excuse to dump his car. Nothing wrong with it, just lured by the appeal of a VW (I admit, once upon a time I too was suckered into one, what with their fancy cool and hip marketing campaigns, who wouldnt' want one?!).

Anyway, happens to all of us when we get bored of cars. Luckily I've grown up now and appreciate these "boring" cars as a reliable steed that goes about it's job with intended purpose. It's not trying to be a Porsche or a Mercedes, it's just happy getting you where you need to be, with little cost and fantastic reliability.

I don't mind boring, I just don't want rusty. And unreliable. Which comes with age, thus, ten years is starting to sound like "my limit."

But I have to admit, I'm slowly getting sucked in. This bluetooth stuff is kinda cool. If I keep my Jetta for any longer, the factory radio is getting ripped out, and replaced by something with BT so I can stream audio. AM/FM is so bad that I think I won't miss it, now that I'm starting to figure out what podcasts I want to listen to.

Beats me.

I recall years ago I tried an FM modulator on a CD player, so I could listen to, well, CD's in the car. Didn't think much of it. Some time later I got fed up with the interference from local stations (on long drives I would have to keep switching channels) so I tried the tape deck convertor. I recall being pleasantly surprised at the better audio. So I can hear that much.

But I honestly can't tell good audio from bad audio. Maybe every few years (once or twice a decade) I will go to see live music. And only "classical" music at that. I don't own high end audio equipment, I don't go to concerts, and so I haven't a clue when I hear bad audio. Hehe, when we watch movies at home we watch on a 27" TV and use the speakers on the TV--and it sounds fine to me!

Originally Posted By: supton
at home we watch on a 27" TV and use the speakers on the TV--and it sounds fine to me!

Sounds like you'll be just fine with bt.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: supton

But I honestly can't tell good audio from bad audio.
Hehe, when we watch movies at home we watch on a 27" TV and use the speakers on the TV--and it sounds fine to me!

Oh how lucky you are!
wink.gif

Agreed.

With only 8 months of ownership and then selling, it seems like you wanted something different and that is fine. I usually get bored with my vehicles after 15 years or longer. With your profit, put it towards the 4T60e that is usually behind the Buick 3800 you want, if that is what you are going for. I'm not familiar with VW, and that is probably a good thing. My old Camry just flipped 300k with little issues and I can see it going easily another 50k, but by that point I might be actually getting tired of driving it
smile.gif
. Whatever you get, I hope your new car works out.
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
OP just wanted an excuse to dump his car. Nothing wrong with it, just lured by the appeal of a VW (I admit, once upon a time I too was suckered into one, what with their fancy cool and hip marketing campaigns, who wouldnt' want one?!).

Anyway, happens to all of us when we get bored of cars. Luckily I've grown up now and appreciate these "boring" cars as a reliable steed that goes about it's job with intended purpose. It's not trying to be a Porsche or a Mercedes, it's just happy getting you where you need to be, with little cost and fantastic reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back