2009 Honda Accord Fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2009 Honda Accord has approx 66k miles on the vehicle. I would like to keep the vehicle for another year or two. I only put about 6k miles per year on it since my daily commute to work is under 10 miles round trip. I'm wondering which fluid is most important to ensure my vehicles will last.

The motor oil has seen 5k OCI since new and the transmission fluid has been serviced at 63k miles. The brake fluid, engine coolant, and power steering fluid is all original. Everything works as it should and I see no signs of problems, so this is simply preventative maintenance.

If you were in my shoes, which fluid would you service soon: brake, engine coolant, power steering? Or do I follow the motto of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" with this one?

I appreciate your input!

Brakes because thats the one with the biggest safety hazard....even though it will probably not fail....then coolant...and do a turkey baster method for power steering.

If I was going to own it two more years? Nothing.

If I were to keep it forever either do the brakes and fluid now or in a year or so. The coolant in the next year or two, along with PSF.

Really those two fluids should last 7years/100,000 miles whichever comes first and I'd just wait on the brake fluid until a full brake job is due, which will probably be soon.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
"if it isn't broke, don't fix it"

THIS!

You only want 1-2 more years out of it. You won't recoup the "value" when you go to sell or trade and tell them that you changed these fluids. The oil and trans is enough.
You're good to go.

Brake fluid. Yes it works, but it has slowly degraded over time to where you don't notice that it doesn't brake as well as it used to. I changed my brake fluid after about 50k miles and I was surprised by the night and day difference it made in improving my braking.

PS fluid is easy enough to change. Use a turkey baster or pump to empty the reservoir, and refill it. Drive it for a bit making sure to turn the wheels from end to end, and then do it again. Do that a few times and eventually you basically have all new fluid in there.

The reason I didn't say coolant, is because most modern vehicles come with coolant they say is good for 7-10 years. So you should be fine, just make sure the level is good.

Why do you say you only want to hold onto the vehicle for another year or two? An Accord will last you another 200k miles if you keep up with the basic maintenance.

Since you are only planning on keeping it another 2 years at most, just follow what the owner manual states. I dont know why you want to get rid of that Accord, as stated above it has many many years/miles left in it.

$8 dollars worth of brake fluid now will likely save you from replacing a calliper or wheel cylinder later. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, it absorbs water from the atmosphere right through your rubber lines. The accumulated water will cause rust pitting in your brake components and result in higher repair bills.

Personally, I would replace all the fluids at or before the recommended interval. I would feel bad neglecting a car. It actually bothers me to see a car die an early death due to lack of maintenance. I just changed the ATF in the Uplander at 75K and 6 years old, and felt guilty waiting so long. I still need to do the PSF and brake fluid. The Maxima fluids are all recent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back