Best most afordable oil filter for my Prius?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: allboy
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Looks like for a Gen 2 Prius
you can go double oversize
Fram 3600 or Purolator 20195...

Doesn't a bigger filter add more stress to your oil pump?

A larger filter produces less delta-p across it, so it would actually put less stress on the oil pump. It wouldn't be much of a reduction, but it would be less stress.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

A larger filter produces less delta-p across it, so it would actually put less stress on the oil pump. It wouldn't be much of a reduction, but it would be less stress.

Stupid question: Why do the car manufactures use such small oil filters? case and point: me and my g/f use the same small filter. She has a V8 4Runner, and I have a Geo metro 3 cylinder. The one for my new Prius is even smaller. I have seen bigger spin-on filters on lawnmowers and motorcycles.

The size engineering for the filters is usually pretty good if the system isn't abused. I still like larger filters.

I would run the Fram TG 3600 if it fits. They are huge and always look nice when cut open.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The size engineering for the filters is usually pretty good if the system isn't abused. I still like larger filters.

I would run the Fram TG 3600 if it fits. They are huge and always look nice when cut open.

And if the TG3600 fits you can also run a Motorcraft FL-400S or a FL-910S

Use the filter for the same year 4 cyl camry, exact same specs in every way, except it's longer, same price. It makes it less reach to remove but still isn't subject to damage. The best most affordable and safest bet is the OE Toyota. The Denso name means a quality engineered media, quality control, correct valves, and there aren't any end caps at all. They are very inexpensive and is what the dealer puts on, but they use the short one. I would stay away from any other wider sizes that thread on, because there is no reason to make that change. I always used a synthetic oil, the engine turns off a lot in traffic and probably is a little harder, not easier, on oil than thought. Due to the cvt transmission, it also can rev quite high and hard on steep grades. But it isn't a fussy engine on oil or the filter.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Use the filter for the same year 4 cyl camry, exact same specs in every way, except it's longer, same price. It makes it less reach to remove but still isn't subject to damage. The best most affordable and safest bet is the OE Toyota. The Denso name means a quality engineered media, quality control, correct valves, and there aren't any end caps at all. They are very inexpensive and is what the dealer puts on, but they use the short one. I would stay away from any other wider sizes that thread on, because there is no reason to make that change. I always used a synthetic oil, the engine turns off a lot in traffic and probably is a little harder, not easier, on oil than thought. Due to the cvt transmission, it also can rev quite high and hard on steep grades. But it isn't a fussy engine on oil or the filter.

I'm finding the Camry uses the same filter on Toyota's site.

What's this about purolators tearing?? Is it just the pureones or the classics too??
I was going to suggest puro classic but if there's tearing issues going on then nevermind. I also need to rethink my filter choice for my truck then..

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=PH4967

Couldnt add this in time...the 4967 ebay filters will work..are a super common filter and fits your application and are priced right..a few clicks and they show up at your door ...dont have to deal with humans either
smile.gif
....that thing isnt gonna know or care whats on it...I just ordered some myself.:)

Originally Posted By: slowdime
What's this about purolators tearing?? Is it just the pureones or the classics too??
I was going to suggest puro classic but if there's tearing issues going on then nevermind. I also need to rethink my filter choice for my truck then..

Both the Classic and PureOnes have reported tearing issues.

Link: Tear Thread

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Stupid question: Why do the car manufactures use such small oil filters? case and point: me and my g/f use the same small filter. She has a V8 4Runner, and I have a Geo metro 3 cylinder. The one for my new Prius is even smaller. I have seen bigger spin-on filters on lawnmowers and motorcycles.

Lots of reasons, advances in filter media and valving allows smaller filters to trap and hold as much dirt as larger ones did years ago. Advances in engine controls, especially on cold warm ups put far less fuel dilution in the oil. Modern engines make far less dirt than even engines did ten yrs ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back