Mix my own dexos1??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car takes 4.5L of oil.

Lets say I put 2 qts of castrol syntec + 2.5 qts of castrol gtx, is that consider dexos1?

How much synthetic is there in dexos1 syn blend?

Thanks!

Kinda....wouldn't hurt....cheaper the just buy the blend though....

And a Dexos1 blend needs to be AT LEAST 45 percent synthetic to be a dexos blend. You'll find most dexos blends are at least half though...

If you have it sitting around and want to use it up, it certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

Dexos 1 isn't an absolute requirement anyway. If you read your owners manual, I believe it says that while dexos1 is recommended, an API certified oil of the recommended viscosity grade is acceptable.

I'd probably shorten the OCI a bit though.

2 qts syntec and 2.5 qts gtx = 4.5 qts blend

2 / 4.5 = 44.44444% which is very close to 45%. Is it truly Dexos? Hard to say, but from a percentage synthetic standpoint, you're close.

dexos1 does not require a synthetic blend nor a full synthetic.
Its a harder spec to meet than plain old GF-5 & SN (foaming, deposits, wear, sludge).
Nobody yet has a conventional oil that meets dexos1 though.

We know Pennzoil dexos1 syn-blend is about half synthetic, don't know about the other.

Yet it should be fine to mix GTX with Syntec. What you could do is use all GTX except with 1 quart of Mobil 1 Racing Oil 0w=30, an oil that boosts the additive package, as discussed elsewhere on bitog.

Like NMBurb02 stated. It's a spec. It's not going to damage anything but I see your car is still under warranty so I wouldn't run it to full max oil life. My daughter has a 2011 Cruze with the 1.4L turbo. I had the oil changed at 10500 km (6500 mi) and it still had like around 37% oil life left. Another option is to use only 1 litre with the rest Syntec.

Originally Posted By: stickybuns
What you could do is use all GTX except with 1 quart of Mobil 1 Racing Oil 0w=30, an oil that boosts the additive package, as discussed elsewhere on bitog.

Except for the M1 Racing costing between $16.00 and $22.00 a quart (albeit GREAT, but very low starting TBN oil, so maybe not so 'great' for street/long OCI use) depending on where/how it is purchased, does NOT make this a viable economic choice to just use up some GTX, and it STILL might not meet Dexos 1 specs, if that is a concern.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
What you could do is use all GTX except with 1 quart of Mobil 1 Racing Oil 0w=30, an oil that boosts the additive package, as discussed elsewhere on bitog.

Except for the M1 Racing costing between $16.00 and $22.00 a quart (albeit GREAT, but very low starting TBN oil, so maybe not so 'great' for street/long OCI use) depending on where/how it is purchased, does NOT make this a viable economic choice to just use up some GTX, and it STILL might not meet Dexos 1 specs, if that is a concern.
wink.gif

Actually, M1 Racing 0w-30 has high TBN ( 10 ), detergents, moly, boron, zinc, all that. Yes too expensive though. See "Mobil1 Racing 0w-30 Virgin Oil Analysis VOA" ........I'd only use it a half quart or quart at a time, sparingly, mixed with other oil to boost it only; zinc is so high it would cause corrosion if used long term straight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wolf_06
My car takes 4.5L of oil.

Lets say I put 2 qts of castrol syntec + 2.5 qts of castrol gtx, is that consider dexos1?

How much synthetic is there in dexos1 syn blend?

Thanks!

Time to sober up. Surely you have better things to do with your time and money.

Just buy off the shelf.

31.gif
13.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

wink.gif

Actually, M1 Racing 0w-30 has high TBN ( 10 ), detergents, moly, boron, zinc, all that. Yes too expensive though. See "Mobil1 Racing 0w-30 Virgin Oil Analysis VOA" ........I'd only use it a half quart or quart at a time, sparingly, mixed with other oil to boost it only; zinc is so high it would cause corrosion if used long term straight.

Are you sure about that TBN, as I remember something about Mobil suggesting VERY short OCIs with this oil, but I could be wrong about this.

Maybe it was just that they stated NOT to use it as a street oil due to the corrosive levels of ZDDP in it's add pack.
21.gif

M1 Racing 0w-30 TBN of 9.9 is only as good as Blackstone Labs VOA accuracy. Its probably right, yet another VOA would be nice.

I think Mobil was talking about the extremely high levels of ZDDP causing corrosion problems for long service.

If you only use the oil in small amounts as an "additive" in make-up oil or mix with many more quarts of other oil at an oil change, then ZDDP concentrations drop to safe levels easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back