Help me select the correct Dex/Merc fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '95 Saturn SC1 that calls for Dexron III. I was at Walmart this morning and they had both Valvoline ATF (blue jug) and Maxlife ATF (red jug), both within 50 cents of each other ($16.47 vs. $16.97).

Being fully synthetic, I figure the Maxlife is the better value, but is it best for my car? The Maxlife said it was also recommended for Merc LV; however, on another brand of ATF (Supertech or Castrol, I believe), it noted not to use their version of Dex if Merc LV was required. It also said their version was for GM cars before 2006.

I was just wanting clarification as to whether both of these are OK for my vehicle, or if I should stay away from the Maxlife.

Thanks,
Ryan

LAST CHANCE: MaxLife red jug (good for your Saturn) on sale at AutoZone through July. Buy some at the sale price while you can.
It was reduced $5 for 2 months. A synthetic for ~$11 a gallon is real good. Kira

Id stick with dex3 but then again, dex6 is synthetic and backwards compatible. I love those old saturns with the tranny cannister filter. The car will rot and the engine will die before the transmission fails no matter which you fluid you use.

They both will work fine in your application. I would choose the MaxLife since it's a full synthetic for virtually the same price of a conventional. Hopefully you can take advantage of Kira's suggestion. I owned a '92 SL2 since new which I scrapped just a few years ago with original tranny and engine using Dex III, mostly dino in the engine and OCOD's for most of it's life. We tend to overthink things around here.

Some say GM warns not to put Dex 6 in the saturn TAAT tranny. I'd go with the maxlife.

Originally Posted By: Kira
LAST CHANCE: MaxLife red jug (good for your Saturn) on sale at AutoZone through July. Buy some at the sale price while you can.
It was reduced $5 for 2 months. A synthetic for ~$11 a gallon is real good. Kira

!!!!!

I'd ask this question over at SaturnFans.com or google search that site.

They will know what works and doesn't work in the S-series.

I have an 01 SC2 and just did a transmission fluid service. USE the Valvoline BLUE jug NOT the MAXLIFE!!

I was originally going to use Maxlife as well but after researching more I found it is NOT to be used with that transmission.

I stocked up on Mobil Dex/Merc for $1.59 per quart. Target closeout a while back. I have some Maxlife in the current mix and the TAAT is behaving itself. I will service other vehicles with my remaining VI Maxlife and use my other vast stock of Dex/Merc on the Satty.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I stocked up on Mobil Dex/Merc for $1.59 per quart. Target closeout a while back. I have some Maxlife in the current mix and the TAAT is behaving itself. I will service other vehicles with my remaining VI Maxlife and use my other vast stock of Dex/Merc on the Satty.

I just used up the last of my Mobil Dex/Merc ...

I used Dex III many times with a little Seafoam trans tune in my '96 years ago with no ill effects even though it had a slight bit of the 'reverse slam' valve body problem. The right fluid is still the Saturn transaxle fluid which was supposed to have some kind of additive in it as well. The Maxlife or IIRC using Hyundai SPIII or Mopar ATF+4 is something similar to the special Saturn stuff as well.

I'd believe the SPIII reccomendation especally as their trans design is very similar to the S-series in nature.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Option 3) The $12.00 bottle of Supertech Dex/Merc.

x Eleventy Billion.

That product is made by Citgo, and is a very good product which is a perfect fit for your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back