Havoline Conventional 5w20, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Not discussed much... any opinions?
Thinking about future use in the 2.4 same oci, mostly 'normal' non-severe schedule driving.

Last edited:
Havoline has been referred to as a sleeper oil. It has a decent amount of moly too and should easily do a 5000-7500 mile OCI in one of your Hyundais.

I have some 10w30 that I am going to use next in my Jeep.

I've used it once before, a couple of years back just after the SN switchover. I got it for real cheap, so I used it... that about sums it up. Worked just fine.

I've used it before as well. It's a fine motor oil. I can't buy it as cheap as the Formula Shell that I'm using now, so that's really the main reason I'm not using it at the moment.

This just in as well:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3437174/Re:_Havoline_Synthetic_SN_5W20#Post3437174

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Is it a better buy than Mobil Super 5w-20 for $12.97 a jug at Walmart?

Only when you can get it at Oreilly's for that price with a WIX made MicroGuard filter.
wink.gif

Autozone carries Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Blend at same or lower price than most name brand conventionals, and it is a fantastic oil with an excellent additive package. I use the 5W30 in my Subaru and the 5W20 in our son's Ford Escape, both engines run hush quiet and pull strong on it.

To see a VOA of it, check Petroleum Quality Institute of America's site.

I have always happy with Havoline oil. Cost and availability are the only reasons it isn't in my cars now. It costs the same or more than most synthetic blends in my area and I think its better than some of them.

Used it and Formula Shell many times in multiple applications without issues due to their good value.

Last edited:
It is a good oil and I have used it many times without hesitation, given that the price is right.

High initial TBN...

A load of calcium...

A little moly....

I'd use it in a second.

Oh wait, I am using it right now.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
High initial TBN...

A load of calcium...

A little moly....

I'd use it in a second.

Oh wait, I am using it right now.

I would as well... That is truly a wollup of Calcium.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Is it a better buy than Mobil Super 5w-20 for $12.97 a jug at Walmart?

Only when you can get it at Oreilly's for that price with a WIX made MicroGuard filter.
wink.gif

MicroGards don't use the better Wix and Napa Gold oil filter media, they use cheaper lower performing 100% paper, and Wix may not be who is making them these days. MicroGard just shops around the world for contracts to make the cheapest stuff.

"Havoline" is just a brand name that has been bounced around among several owners over the years. Now Chevron owns the brand.

Is Havoline any different from Chevron Supreme? I use any Chevron product with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
"Havoline" is just a brand name that has been bounced around among several owners over the years. Now Chevron owns the brand.

Not true. Havoline was a Texaco brand name for years and became part of Chevron when Chevron bought Texaco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back