JD tractor. did I do right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed the coolant in my 2001 diesel JD tractor. 43 horse power small tractor. Out peak conventional that I put in 4 yrs ago when I busted radiator. Coolant came out like new. No discoloration only small amount of rusty stuff from engine block drain. All this removed by several flushes and runs with regular water then two flushes with distilled. Which is over kill on drains as engine drain really pulls most out that dont come out of rad.Now I put in 50/50 delo extended life coolant which is an (red) oat formula with sca's already in it. It does contain nitrates but no silicates or phosphate. My question was this ok since it's a heavy duty antifreeze. By the way I get this delo stuff free at work.

When I changed mine, I researched a good bit and went with the Deere Coolguard II. You need a diesel coolant in a diesel IMO. Maybe your choice is?

The original coolant came out like new after 500 hours and 14 years. I have no doubt I made the right choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snowball
I recently changed the coolant in my 2001 diesel JD tractor. 43 horse power small tractor. Out peak conventional that I put in 4 yrs ago when I busted radiator. Coolant came out like new. No discoloration only small amount of rusty stuff from engine block drain. All this removed by several flushes and runs with regular water then two flushes with distilled. Which is over kill on drains as engine drain really pulls most out that dont come out of rad.Now I put in 50/50 delo extended life coolant which is an (red) oat formula with sca's already in it. It does contain nitrates but no silicates or phosphate. My question was this ok since it's a heavy duty antifreeze. By the way I get this delo stuff free at work.

Should have used JD CG II. Its one of the best available.

Dex-cool or equivlent shouldn't hurt anything. That's all i've ran in my durmax...over 6100hrs system is clean as new. You did a through flush of the old coolent, so you should be good to go.

Thanks to all who responded. After little reading I decided the delo will be just fine. Very similar to coolgaurd anyway.i was just worried that it might be too heavy duty for my little 3 cylinder yanmar diesel as I have read that too much of these sca's can have negative affect. I over think everything. No worries now, I'm cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back