anybody else afraid of the water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been afraid of salt water ever since I saw Jaws at the movies back in '75. Im not a strong swimmer so I dont venture out over my head anyway

Chris, I was the same way. I had to take swimming lessons with kids who were less than half my age...I was 14. It was embarrassing, but by the end of the higher classes, I was jumping off the high dive and diving for objects in the deep end. I'd suggest finding some place that will teach you and be sympathetic with your concerns.

Going out on a large body of water gives me a bit of the heebee jeebees.

If it makes you feel any better, my mother didn't learn to swim until after she reached seventy years.
She now swims a few days a week for exercise as well as to keep her aging frame limber.
It apparently works.
Exercise in water is ideal in that it stresses no joints and only works muscles.
Luckily, my wife, my kids and I love the water.
I am a certified rescue diver and my wife and older son are both certified sport divers. Our younger son swims like a fish and may learn to dive if the mood strikes him.
For those who are comfortable in the water, scuba is really enjoyable, far more so than snorkling, although that's fun too.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

The important thing is to figure out why you are afraid of it. Then you can conquer the fear.
i almost drowned when i was an infant and i guess its stuck with me since.im not scared of ladders(if they dont shake) snakes,going fast on a motorcycle across the desert or heights. but ask me to go in a pool and ill volunteer to bbq the burgers instead.

Chris, have you tried salt water? You're more buoyant. It's the difference between being up to your mustache in fresh water vs up to your chin in salt.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I have a friend that is afraid of being in the water if he can't see the bottom. He has no trouble in a pool, but go to a lake and he will usually only wade.

The important thing is to figure out why you are afraid of it. Then you can conquer the fear.

I'm the same way. I'll jump off the diving board at the deep end of the pool and I love to ride the slides at any water park, but put me in murky water or deep water in a cloudy lake or the ocean, and I can't stand it. I can't swim a lick, (I can kinda dog paddle and bob), but that doesn't bother me.

What bothers me are snakes, gators, stingrays, the unexpected megalodon, a passing leviathan with the munchies. There's simply no way I'm getting into any body of water where I can't see my feet.

Perfect example - we had a bbq at Church today after services and one of the members was telling me about his last fishing trip out in the Gulf of Mexico. According to him, he caught a "frog like thing as big as his arm and about a foot long with human like teeth." And you want me to jump in the water and swim with that thing? No way.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

Perfect example - we had a bbq at Church today after services and one of the members was telling me about his last fishing trip out in the Gulf of Mexico. According to him, he caught a "frog like thing as big as his arm and about a foot long with human like teeth." And you want me to jump in the water and swim with that thing? No way.

UglyFish.jpg

Sounds like one of these things. I wouldn't worry... in fact if you can get one alive give it an ear of corn and watch it tear through!!!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Chris, have you tried salt water? You're more buoyant. It's the difference between being up to your mustache in fresh water vs up to your chin in salt.
nope. id get pulled out to sea for sure. plus the elevation change and smell give me headache

I avoid public pools and water parks like the plague. Not because I'm afraid of the water per se, but for another reason; Cryptosporidium.

I have a healthy respect for the water but I do love it.

Is it a phobia? I know some people who grew up inland tend to get funny out on big water and in boats.

Last edited:
Chris,
It sounds like it is your wife who has an issue with your fear. If she would be happy with you staying out of the water at the park would you still have an interest in getting over your fear?

My thinking is: it sounds like you need to get over the fear quickly, which makes a lot of the methods difficult and I'm not sure you really have an interest. SO can you go with another couple? I'm affraid of heights. Many years ago my gf at the time took me to an amusement park but when went with two other couples. One of the other guys didnt like heights either so when it was roller coaster time we would go to the arcade or ride the scrambler. Everyone was happy.

The only way to get over a fear like that is to face it head on and conquer it. By facing the fear and beating it you build your confidence in yourself, and you will realize that you can do more than you ever thought.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
for starters i cant swim. i have been to more swimming lessons than i can remember.my biggest problem is that once water gets to above my belly button i become panicked.i become terified in a pool my heart races and i cant get out fast enough.

This isnt a swimming-related situation, but rather some sort of mental issue associated with water. Youre not swimming in any way if youre in to the bely button.

And how is being in to that level different than being in a bath or hot tub?

Not digging on you, just observing. So I think you need to try to identify what about it panics you. For example, try walking in a 3 ft pool. That bothers you despite feet being solidly on the ground? Perhaps try to reason with yourself as to why.

People have fears over lots of things. I think thats natural. But I also think there are ways to work through them - think of all the things that startle and scare kids, yet they grow out of it. Im sure there is a way forward! Good luck!

Anxiety/panic are completely irrational to those who know how "easy" something is, but to those experiencing them, it's the epitome of life/death...the fight/flight mechanism is in absolute control, and there's no rational way out of it.

The ladder technique described earlier is exactly what we use with my children, not with ladders (they love them), but developing an incremental approach to setting a goal that is a little further than every before, getting there, getting comfortable enough to rationalise with yourself,then deciding to stay there, go back and have a celebration, or take the next step...talking through the process is important, even if it's self talk.

Don't throw yourself in at the deep end with something like this.

I think the ladder approach is best too. That's what we are using with our kids to learn to swim.
I'd try a life jacket in a shallow pool and just swim/ float around not touching the bottom for a few sessions. Work out to deeper water with the life jacket, then go to bouyant swim belt when you feel comfortable, and eventually you can ditch that. I use a swim belt in our pond with the kids, its just easier to float comfortably and helps when they are climbing all over you too.

My girlfriend and I go to any waterparks all the time... Big fans of them!

If it makes you feel any better, aside from the wave pool at most parks, water is usually 3' or less even in the splashdown pools on slides. No mainstream waterpark I have been to had water any deeper than that. Again, the wavepool being the only exception, but you can just stay in the shallow end.

Lifegaurds are usually everywhere at every splashdown pool and generally always in sight of one. The ones at the waterparks here are incredible, constantly scanning the water in crazy patterns, doing movements to keep their attention and none ever look "bored" even when there is only two or three people in a large area. Makes no difference to them!

I think waterparks are extremely safe... Water again is generally shallow everywhere and should be crystal clear.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know if Chris142 is going to Get help / Help himself, or is going to spend the rest of his life trying to avoid water.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this is what it boils down to.

You KNOW your fear is irrational (you won't start 'filling up' if water gets in your Navel)

The hang up-is in your mind.

Chances are, if you live a 'normal life' at some point you are going to confront water (and the time will not be at your choosing) Perhaps it will be you in the water, perhaps a child,
but it will happen.

Once you start overcoming your fears you can build on that.
It won't happen instantly, but I guarantee, once you start, progress will be quick.

I'm not saying you will ever be totally happy with water, but if you only get to the point where you won't Freak Out, that could be acceptable.

Not even trying is not acceptable IMHO

Chris142, your wife knows how much fun it is to swim and go to the water park; she wants to share that with you. You cannot change that.

Anyone can learn, but it is slow going for adults, and anxiety is tough to overcome. I learned to swim when I was in my early 30's. I had anxiety in the water and before lessons especially. Once I realized that fear and anxiety are not real -- that your brain creates it and can also control it -- I was able to force my self to just keep showing up at the YMCA for lessons. My goal was to attend. Every once in awhile I would make progress, be able to do another skill. Took a couple or three years, but I ended up as a pretty good swimmer, something I couldn't have imagined before. It is so awesome to swim after all these years! I swim all the time now and I feel incredible self-pride for having stuck it out and reaching my goal.

If you want to learn to swim, I suggest signing up, letting the instructor know your situation and just keep going to each lesson and sign up for each session. Don't expect progress right away; expect a long time commitment. If anxiety is getting in the way, go to a counselor for a session or two to learn some coping / control strategies. It is hard, tough, trying work but well, well worth it. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back