Bosch 9614 or Champion 9812 iridium spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
for 2008 Civic LX R18A1

Does anybody have any experience with either the Bosch OE Finewire Iridium or the Champion Iridium?

Both are less than half the price of Denso and NGK iridiums and are frequently on rebate. The stock Japanese plugs can exceed $10 *each* (and the Honda dealers charge over $20 per plug!)

AFAIK, both the Bosch and Champion are the OE-style long life and not "performance" plugs (like the NGK Iridium IX).

The car is nearing 100k, and the MM has not said to replace them yet, but it's likely coming soon.

Will either one last the same 100K or more that the stock NGK's last?

If your on a budget, price shop Single platinum NGK G powers or Denso's. RockAuto exists for a reason.

Don't even entertain the thought of putting Bosch or Champion plugs in that engine.

I think you'll get good results from regular copper core NGK's.. I've run these in all my cars for about 10 years. Not as long lasting [censored] platinum, but they are only about $1.79 or so a piece at Rockauto.

Typically Honda engines are made for a certain NGK or Denso plug, and I have seen them run poorly when Bosch is used.

Get the proper NGK or Denso. In your owner's manual, I'm sure you will find the correct part number for 1 type of Denso plug and for 1 type of NGK.

Thanks for the responses so far!

The OE plugs are iridium (NGK 5266 or Denso 3432), and both are at least $9.00 each from Rock Auto.

Interesting that many of you would rather step down to platinum than go with another brand and stay with iridium.

Stick with the OE plugs, unless you modify the engine.

Here's what Smokey Yunick had to say about Champion plugs:

"I remember Champion Spark Plug (one of very first to put money in NASCAR). France met Champion’s executives at the Eastern Air Line plane with an elephant. The elephant had a thing like a pickup box strapped on it’s back for them to ride in, and came equipped with two hookers and booze. The two Champion “big shots” (**** McGeorge and I forgot other cat’s name) rode elephant to the Streamline Hotel, a trip of ’bout three or four miles. I’ll let you guess how that ended. Well Champion put lots of money in NASCAR for ’bout 40 years and in the end they got screwed out of a building they built and paid for at the Daytona track. But don’t cry many tears for Champion. During the last 40 years it’s been run by a bunch of incompetent a**holes, and maybe that’s best way to purge a defective outfit."

Go with the OE Denso 3432. You may be paying $9.00 each for them but if they worked for this long, and if you save $11 overall what are you gonna buy? Something that's gonna be gone a lot faster than the plugs.

Rock Auto $9.00 each plus ship (which shouldn't be much)

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
Stick with the OE plugs, unless you modify the engine.

Here's what Smokey Yunick had to say about Champion plugs:

"I remember Champion Spark Plug (one of very first to put money in NASCAR). France met Champion’s executives at the Eastern Air Line plane with an elephant. The elephant had a thing like a pickup box strapped on it’s back for them to ride in, and came equipped with two hookers and booze. The two Champion “big shots” (**** McGeorge and I forgot other cat’s name) rode elephant to the Streamline Hotel, a trip of ’bout three or four miles. I’ll let you guess how that ended. Well Champion put lots of money in NASCAR for ’bout 40 years and in the end they got screwed out of a building they built and paid for at the Daytona track. But don’t cry many tears for Champion. During the last 40 years it’s been run by a bunch of incompetent a**holes, and maybe that’s best way to purge a defective outfit."

I believe he also said the only thing he would screw them into was the ground.

Too late to edit, but it seems that the Champions are one heat range colder than the stock Denso/NGK plugs.

The Denso 3432 for the Civic is is SKJ20DR-M11S
Whereas the Denso for some other Hondas is SKJ20DR-M11 without the S at the end.

That S seems to denote a stainless steel gasket.

Bosch and Champion are listed to fit both plugs, with and without the S.

I found this chart from Denso and this chart from Champion.

The Champion 9812 is of the type RC8ZWYPB4

The Champion chart is an image, while Denso's chart is a regular HTML webpage. That is why I have posted one chart but not the other:

champion_numbering_system.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back