Oil change tommorow

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have a 03 ram 1500 with a 4.7 v8 that was put in 4500 miles ago the first 1500 where on the factory oil, then i put in GSGB for 3k and its time to change. i have a stash of Pennzoil platinum that i want to use but i have gotten advice that i should go 7k on dino so my rings set. so is 4500 enough mi for the rings to set or do i need to go buy more dino juice. what will happen if i put the pennzoil in to early?
thanks,
-sam

It's o.k. to go ahead and use synthetic. The rings have seated as well as they're ever going to. Besides modern manufacturing techniques and metallurgy have relegated the break in with conventional to wives tale status. At least for factory engines, as many now come with synthetic from factory.

the guy from the engine factory said that it can blow out the tail pipe
is this true?

Originally Posted By: Samf333
is this true?

Blow it out your tailpipe??
crazy2.gif
Thats just crazy..

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Samf333
is this true?

Blow it out your tailpipe??
crazy2.gif
Thats just crazy..

use syn too soon and
15.gif

thought I heard it all

Last edited:
In most modern engines the start up and a run around the block is all that's needed to break in the engine. This includes most well equipped shops that specialize in rebuilds. Spending a thousand miles or so not abusing the engine is just being careful and that's what I did with my 84 Civic. It passed a leak-down at just under 100 miles and it was on to PP right then. I've now got a thousand miles or so and I'll soon switch to my stash of 0w-30 Red Line that I purchased from a warehouse salvage sale.

Haha - nice low mileage. He never even stated what the mileage was, only the fact that he replaced the engine. Yeah, go ahead and use your PP stash, 4500 miles on dino is enough break in.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I agree, now is a perfect time for synthetic.

Btw, nice low mileage for an 03!

thanks just sucks i blew the original motor

It only takes 300 miles for the rings to seat into the cylinder walls. Whoever told you 7000 miles was very much wrong. The oil should have been changed at least once already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back