Battery change in Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good friend started pulling out the battery from his Prius today. Apparently he has been having problems with it for the last 50K, but wasn't sure what the problem was. Two weeks ago I was with him and a warning came on the dash screen. Soon after that the car stalled. He has checked out the problem and it is the main battery. He plans to buy a rebuild one for about $2000, he hopes. The car is a mid 2000 model with 213K, but like I said there have been problems for some time. Will try to keep you up-dated if I can.

Also this is the second Prius battery failure of friends I know in the last month.

Last edited:
Everybody's gonna be on here talking about how rare this is and it isn't common for Prius batteries to die "so soon" but the fact is batteries don't last forever and not everyone has $2,000+ sitting around to replace one. I'd rather drive an econobox and get a little worse mpg.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
but the fact is batteries don't last forever and not everyone has $2,000+ sitting around to replace one.

$2K once every 213K miles doesn't sound too bad.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
but the fact is batteries don't last forever and not everyone has $2,000+ sitting around to replace one.

Problem is my friend is making the change himself. If he had to have the work done no telling what the price would be. There goes all the fuel savings especially adding in the huge extra cost at the time of purchase. These things seem to be smoke and mirrors.

Last edited:
be obviously didn't drive it much. Time is what kills the battery. Only lasts soo long. I'd take 15 more mpg for 2000 in my car. Don't really need any more mpg but it would be worth it doller wise.

I agree, especially since ours has saved us at least $5k in gasoline over the corolla it replaced.

I am very curious to learn how this battery replacement turns out.

Last edited:
Everybody's gonna be on here talking about how rare this is and it isn't common for Prius batteries to die "so soon" but the fact is batteries don't last forever and not everyone has $2,000+ sitting around to replace one. I'd rather drive an econobox and get a little worse mpg.

I was just thinking that some Prius haters were going to jump in and cry bloody murder about the Prius because of this thread.

If you wouldn't drive a car that could need a $2k repair in 213k miles, then you might not be able to drive any car.

I'm genuinely interested in seeing how the project goes. But since this is BITOG, I suspect this thread could devolve into a bunch of people acting like know-it-alls and arguing.

I also wonder how the batteries have changed since a year 2000 model? It seems they moved far more units of the later models, so I wonder if replacement batteries cost the same/less/more?

I'm sure this info is available on Prius forums, but I've gotten computer viruses twice from Prius Chat, so I don't care to look up the answer.

This. The OP mentioned this is the second battery failure this month? How many batteries do they have? If its only 2, he should be good for another 200k+ miles. Do the rebuilt ones have a warranty? $2000 sure beats buying another less efficient econobox too. Heck $2000 couldn't buy a nice econobox anyways.

Originally Posted By: tig1
The car is a mid 2000 model with 213K

Nick1994- a not-so-great econobox that might need a $1-1.5k tranny (not necessarily you, but most people drive autos) or a $2k engine at around 213k mi, perhaps? Yeah, I'll take the Prius any day. Especially considering gas at $4-4.50.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The OP mentioned this is the second battery failure this month?

He was talking about two different Prius cars.

If it is 2004 or newer then it is under warranty. If he had prior failure he has another issue causing it.
Edit: sorry only 100,000 miles

Also this is the second Prius battery failure of friends I know in the last month.

This is the real shocker in this thread. I don't know anyone who drives a Prius!

Dorman offers remanufactured battery packs. It looks like gen 1 packs are about $1500 plus a $975 core charge.

Gen 2 packs are about $1700 plus core. I don't know how these prices compare to Toyota packs.

Dorman apparently bought a battery remanufacturer called Re-involt Technologies in 2013.
http://www.dormanhybrid.com/faq.html
Quote:
How long should a battery last?
Most Hybrid owners get between 80,000 and 200,000 miles from their original batteries. Our replacement battery is warrantied for 36 months with no mileage limit. We replace the less durable parts in the battery packs with our own improved and upgraded parts and upgrade all cells to the more durable Gen2 design cells. These cells have been reconditioned through our proprietary processes and must pass durability testing before being placed in one of our battery packs.

Dorman also has some good videos that show how to do it. It looks easier than I expected.

Gen 1

Gen 2

Originally Posted By: moving2

The car is a mid 2000 model with 213K

Nick1994- a not-so-great econobox that might need a $1-1.5k tranny (not necessarily you, but most people drive autos) or a $2k engine at around 213k mi, perhaps? Yeah, I'll take the Prius any day. Especially considering gas at $4-4.50.

Ok well let's just say a Corolla is gonna need major engine work at 250k miles. We'll call it $2,000
What about a Prius? Why wouldn't it need engine work at 250k miles too? It's also got a dead battery at about that point too. $2,000 repair in Corolla, $4,000 repair Prius.

Of 5 taxi fleets that operates a bunch of these cars since 2005 they've never had a battery replacement. These care are not driven by angles, average well over 100K miles a year and maintenance usually resolves down the least they can do to keep the vehicles on the road. These cars are the most reliable they've ever operated buy a big margin. They like them because of the economy of operation and low maintenance. They survive the politics and are not interested in saving the planet.

Ok well let's just say a Corolla is gonna need major engine work at 250k miles. We'll call it $2,000
What about a Prius? Why wouldn't it need engine work at 250k miles too? It's also got a dead battery at about that point too. $2,000 repair in Corolla, $4,000 repair Prius.

Nick1994- I think you're forgetting that:

1. The Prius IC engine doesn't run all the time. And, over 200k miles, that adds up to quite a bit less actual run-time than a non-hybrid vehicle engine.

2. The Prius IC engine only runs within a limited and optimal rev range, also prolonging engine life

3. You're leaving out the significant gas savings of the Prius over whatever gasoline car you're thinking of over those 200k mi.

Also note in Skid's link above, no mention of Prius ICE replacements needed from 200-300k.

Originally Posted By: moving2

Nick1994- I think you're forgetting that:

1. The Prius IC engine doesn't run all the time. And, over 200k miles, that adds up to quite a bit less actual run-time than a non-hybrid vehicle engine.

2. The Prius IC engine only runs within a limited and optimal rev range, also prolonging engine life

3. You're leaving out the significant gas savings of the Prius over whatever gasoline car you're thinking of over those 200k mi.

Also note in Skid's link above, no mention of Prius ICE replacements needed from 200-300k.

You'd still be "one of them" and seen driving a Prius. I'd rather ride a bicycle than be humiliated by driving a Prius

You'd still be "one of them" and seen driving a Prius. I'd rather ride a bicycle than be humiliated by driving a Prius
Your pseudo "Pride" against the Prius is more characteristic of a Bro who owns a larger platform SUV, not someone who's rolling in a 90's Camry
vumep5g5ghxahkglh70f.gif

Second. I don't think you'd trade an enclosed vehicle *cough* Elio, for a bicycle, A because your not a hipster, B because your locale (I don't know, PHOENIX?) Hit °108 today? Is that good biking weather? Prius would sound pretty good right about then.

To clarify, I'm not the biggest fan of the Prius, and don't think its the be all and end all that it claims to be, but if its a $2k investment every ~10 years to keep up 40MPG+, I know of people who spend more on a VW TDI with HPFP's and Turbos failing, yet there apparently being $$ smart, because 40MPG!

.....That, and there eerily quiet nature appeals to me
"Who they attractin with that line, "What's your name, what's your sign"? Soon as he buy that wine I just creep up from behind"
Assassin or Swagger aside, rolling silently would be quite the advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back