Getting through emissions testing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sw99
A buddy had his cat hollowed out and they ran a straight pipe through the center. Looked normal but no more cat issues.

Yeah I've go high hope for the non fouler
I was reading the s10 forum and tons of guys have hollowed their cats and done that trick and never had any cel codes come on.
Worst case if it doesn't work... Oregon deq has something called 'clean air partners' and it's a fund that's set up to help the poor(which I am, I make 40% of the area median income)make emissions repairs so they can pass the test. Basically I would take the failed certificate to their office and they would refer me to a local dealer service dept with a voucher... All I'd pay is $50. Not too bad

Originally Posted By: slowdime
I was reading the s10 forum and tons of guys have hollowed their cats and done that trick and never had any cel codes come on.
Worst case if it doesn't work... Oregon deq has something called 'clean air partners' and it's a fund that's set up to help the poor(which I am, I make 40% of the area median income)make emissions repairs so they can pass the test. Basically I would take the failed certificate to their office and they would refer me to a local dealer service dept with a voucher... All I'd pay is $50. Not too bad

Sounds like this might be the best route. Many states have some sort of waiver/voucher program. When I lived in NC, the rule was if you spent a documented $250 trying to fix the problem, and it still wasn't fixed, you could get a waiver and the vehicle would not have to pass emissions again.

I have heard mixed results on Mr. Gasket Cataclean. IIRC, someone here used it, and it did clear their P0420 and get them through an e-test. I tried it when the cats started to clog on my truck, but it didn't help. In my case, the truck did not throw a code for catalyst efficiency, but the exhaust was very restricted. I ended up getting a Walker direct fit y-pipe, but it's too early to tell if it will last. I put it in less than a year ago (Nov 13).

Where at in Oregon? AFAIK Portland is the only city in OR that requires smog checks. Licensing a 96 GMC K1500 and a 96 maxima, I did not have to do anything except license it. Aloha or Hilsborough may not require it.

Originally Posted By: DEQ
In Oregon, a vehicle emissions test is required for many original registrations, as well as for annual registration renewals. Renewal notices are sent annually to vehicle owners, and indicate whether and by what date an emissions test must be completed.
VEHICLES THAT REQUIRE AN EMISSIONS TEST

A car, truck, motor home, van or bus powered by gasoline, alternative fuels (such as propane) or hybrids, requires an emissions test if,

Within the Portland area boundaries:

It was registered in 1975 or after
It has a manufacturer's gross weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less (includes all passenger cars and most light-duty trucks)

Within the Medford area boundaries:

It is 20 years old or less
It is a diesel vehicle with a manufacturer's gross weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less

http://www.dmv.com/or/oregon/emissions-testing

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asand1
Where at in Oregon? AFAIK Portland is the only city in OR that requires smog checks. Licensing a 96 GMC K1500 and a 96 maxima, I did not have to do anything except license it. Aloha or Hilsborough may not require it.

Originally Posted By: DEQ
In Oregon, a vehicle emissions test is required for many original registrations, as well as for annual registration renewals. Renewal notices are sent annually to vehicle owners, and indicate whether and by what date an emissions test must be completed.
VEHICLES THAT REQUIRE AN EMISSIONS TEST

A car, truck, motor home, van or bus powered by gasoline, alternative fuels (such as propane) or hybrids, requires an emissions test if,

Within the Portland area boundaries:

It was registered in 1975 or after
It has a manufacturer's gross weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less (includes all passenger cars and most light-duty trucks)

Within the Medford area boundaries:

It is 20 years old or less
It is a diesel vehicle with a manufacturer's gross weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less

http://www.dmv.com/or/oregon/emissions-testing

I live within portland city limits. I've got a friend who lives in mulino south of the metro area and it's required there too. I suppose if I wanted to be sneaky I could use the address of my aunt's condo in seaside, but that may be a little fishy walking into a portland dmv with a seaside address; but then again, it is the dmv and they probably don't really care

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: slowdime

Sounds like this might be the best route. Many states have some sort of waiver/voucher program. When I lived in NC, the rule was if you spent a documented $250 trying to fix the problem, and it still wasn't fixed, you could get a waiver and the vehicle would not have to pass emissions again.

I have heard mixed results on Mr. Gasket Cataclean. IIRC, someone here used it, and it did clear their P0420 and get them through an e-test. I tried it when the cats started to clog on my truck, but it didn't help. In my case, the truck did not throw a code for catalyst efficiency, but the exhaust was very restricted. I ended up getting a Walker direct fit y-pipe, but it's too early to tell if it will last. I put it in less than a year ago (Nov 13).

Oregon dropped the exemption a couple years ago so all there is now is the 'clean air partners'.
Regarding the cat cleaner stuff, it looks like there's a variety and they all have pretty mixed reviews. I kind of sounds like snake oil to me

There are some days I am reminded why I live where I do. I have never had a vehicle emission inspected in my entire life, and I have owned cars since 1972. There is no requirement for emissions testing in my area, and never has been. Now that I said that, it will probably change.

And there are little loopholes in the EPA codes that allows some of us creative types to do things outside the norm. When I ordered up my 2013 semi truck, I ordered it without an engine. We then dropped in a factory rebuilt 2000 Detroit 60 in it with no emissions on it. All legal. The EPA ties the emissions requirements to the year the engine was made, not the year of the vehicle. And by doing this and also putting in a rebuilt transmission, I got to avoid the Federal Excise Tax on new equipment via another loophole in the IRS code. Saved over $40K on the cost of a new truck compared to regular production truck. Man, what a country!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back