Techron additive in an unfrequently driven car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I remember reading somewhere that once you add it to the tank, you should try to burn through that tank fairly quickly. I guess the cleaning is most effective if you flow all the fuel (and additive) through the system in larger quantities.

Now, I've got a car that is not driven much so it takes me 2-3 months to burn through a tank of gas, mostly shorter trips around town. Is there any harm leaving Techron in the tank for this long? I asked Chevron, but they never answered me. I'm guessing there won't be an issue, but I'm wondering how effective it would be. It might just be a waste of money. Maybe I should wait until I have a longer trip coming up...

I dont see why it would be a problem. I would do it before an oil change though, just in-case some of it leaks past the rings.

I doubt it would be an issue. If anything it will keep the fuel stabilized over the 2-3 months. Typically I try to run a bottle of techron or gumout (regane) on my 2nd to last tank of gas before an oil change. Worse off on your next trip where you will run the tank from full to empty run another bottle of techron.

I am curious how effective these additives work in the gas tank. For some of these additives being 177ml and being added to an 13 gallon or bigger tank seems a bit questionable to their efficacity. I wonder if running 2 bottles or more would end up causing damage or harm to cat converters or other things..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I would do it before an oil change though, just in-case some of it leaks past the rings.

Yup, that's the plan.

Chevron gas of all grades has Techron(lower dosage) in it. The longer you have Techron in the fuel system it has more time to clean everything from gas tank to fuel line to fuel injectors ...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Chevron gas of all grades has Techron(lower dosage) in it.

Right, but not at this level.

Quote:
The longer you have Techron in the fuel system it has more time to clean everything from gas tank to fuel line to fuel injectors ...

My point was that for best effect, you probably want to let it flow continuously for certain amount of time through the injectors to eventually loosen up deposits, and from that standpoint it may be better to flow say 15 gallons of it within a couple of days than the same amount within 15 weeks, 1 gallon per week.

In any case, I'll just wait until I'll have some more driving coming up.

Actually it is more effective to have the product soaking on various items for a longer period of time, rather than to go through the tank within few hours. The longer the PEA has contact with the carbon the more effective it is at breaking it down and cleaning it off completely. Of course I wouldn't let a tank sit for weeks, that would not be good either.

I would consider fairly short trips, 1 hour or so, in stop and go driving to be optimal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Actually it is more effective to have the product soaking on various items for a longer period of time, rather than to go through the tank within few hours. The longer the PEA has contact with the carbon the more effective it is at breaking it down and cleaning it off completely. Of course I wouldn't let a tank sit for weeks, that would not be good either.

I would consider fairly short trips, 1 hour or so, in stop and go driving to be optimal.

Probably for injectors, but I'm guessing not for intake valves, which need to be doused with detergent fuel to clean them. That's not going to be soaking in anything. Also - I don't think injectors are as much a problem as they used to be.

Good topic. My soob doesn't see much mileage. Maybe a tank full per month if I'm not off on some adventure.

I just recently started adding techron a couple times a year. It went in 2 weeks ago, and I'm still at only half a tank
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I think I remember reading somewhere that once you add it to the tank, you should try to burn through that tank fairly quickly. I guess the cleaning is most effective if you flow all the fuel (and additive) through the system in larger quantities.

Now, I've got a car that is not driven much so it takes me 2-3 months to burn through a tank of gas, mostly shorter trips around town. Is there any harm leaving Techron in the tank for this long? I asked Chevron, but they never answered me. I'm guessing there won't be an issue, but I'm wondering how effective it would be. It might just be a waste of money. Maybe I should wait until I have a longer trip coming up...

It depends on what you want to clean. The combustion chambers are better cleaned using it on a long trip.
The injectors it seems are better cleaned when used in shorter cycles so the product sits in the injectors and has time to work.

Use a good ethanol rated fuel stabilizer and Techron in a full tank, make sure it is thoroughly mixed and driven to get the mix into the injectors.
It will 100% have some benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back