audio out from tv to phono "in" sounds bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vizio e420vl. I hooked up audio out from tv to kenwood stereo phono "in" and it sound pretty bad. No Bass, highs were not good at all,like no power.Wrong "in" on stereo? Also, Some stereo shop that specializes in McIntosh systems recommended SOLID wire for speakers. I always thought it should be stranded.Is he wrong?

You don't want to use the "PHONO" on your stereo as that input typically has significantly different specification from all other inputs as it's designed for hooking up a turn table. Try some other input on your stereo, such as AUX, or CD, or tape.

Wrong in.

The phono in is amplified and NOT what you want. You need a line level input, like DVD, Tape, etc.

Almost all home audio wiring is stranded. It's much more flexible and less likely to break.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Wrong in.
Almost all home audio wiring is stranded. It's much more flexible and less likely to break.
But as far as sound quality,which is "better"?

True audiophiles would say solid. But, it depends upon a number of factors such as frequency range, the conductor size, distance, power, etc.

But, there are advantages to stranded such as it bending easier.

You likely won't notice the difference.

Ok, I tried the tape in. Sounds a lot better,but flat. I connected the audio out on the right,under the optical box.If you see the rear connections pic on this ad,http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-42-E420VL-Flat-LCD-HD-TV-Full-HD-1080p-HDMI-120Hz-5ms-100-000-1-Contrast-/331269852725?pt=Televisions&hash=item4d2138ce35 Is this the right place to connect? Thanks to all who've answered.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Sounds a lot better,but flat.

So what's the problem? Bass/treble controls on the stereo not working?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm
Don't buy into the hype of expensive audio/video cables.
Indeed.

Back around '95 (IIRC) I was fortunate enough to tour Air Studios in London, owned at the time by Sir George Martin, right after Dire Straits' album "On Every Street" (recorded there) was released. Speaking with one of the engineers who worked on that album, I asked about the British take on expensive/esoteric cabling and gold-plated connectors and such. He held up a plain old grungy-looking plug and told me: "Every note on that album went through this plug...do you really think having silver wires and gold plugs on your CD player is going to make it sound better?".

Sometimes TVs cut the dynamic range on the analog, stereo outs.

The AC3 codec used in broadcast TV and some DVDs/ Blu Ray includes two compression settings which you may be able to turn off. "RF Mode" is the worst, it cuts everything to about a 20dB range. You could be accidentally triggering this. Go deep, deep in your TV menus and see if sound dynamic range has an option.

There's also metadata on how to downmix 5.1 to 2 channel stereo-- if your signal wasn't garbled before your TV got it you hope the TV can do a good job. However if the original source was 2 channel and the TV station or some other intermediary "simulated 5.1" this could be wreaking havoc.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

Back around '95 (IIRC) I was fortunate enough to tour Air Studios in London, owned at the time by Sir George Martin, right after Dire Straits' album "On Every Street" (recorded there) was released. Speaking with one of the engineers who worked on that album, I asked about the British take on expensive/esoteric cabling and gold-plated connectors and such. He held up a plain old grungy-looking plug and told me: "Every note on that album went through this plug...do you really think having silver wires and gold plugs on your CD player is going to make it sound better?".

Exactly; I buy all my cables and interconnects from Blue Jeans Cable; a company that makes no outlandish claims with respect to cabling affecting sound quality.

I had a stereo system in my old minivan that won many sound competitions and I used things like 1/0 Guage power and ground wire. 5x 1 farad capacitors and over 25000 watts of power to feed over 20 speakers. It was amazing. I would change certain ends and cable lugs to Gold from the standard aluminum ones and big differences were made. but that was a 50000$ system. not sure if your situation would bennefit. picked up alot of the other gender with that thing. It was cool. looked good and went fast too. oops getting sidetracked.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Sounds a lot better,but flat.

So what's the problem? Bass/treble controls on the stereo not working?
smile.gif

They work alright but since I have it through the stereo,I was expecting better sound out of it than the tv speakers.I have an eq that I want to hook up.What connections do I connect now? It's a ADC SS-100SL,it has line in/out,tape in/out only. My stereo is a Kenwood KR-A3060 like this.note rear side pic. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-KR-A3060...=item418400c8f7

Hook it into AUX channel of the amp. Like elje said, dig deep into the TV menu and play around with the audio settings. Now what I did on my Vizio LCD, was take the digital audio out, run it through a converter, converter has to RCA L/R out jacks, plug that out into the in on 1983 Pioneer dynamic range enhancer and then to the AUX channel of the same era Pioneer amp. Talk about killer TV sound!!! YOu can get those digital to analog converters on ebay. I did it your way as well, but not happy with the quality, so I tried it the way I just described and the difference is night and day. Also, any kind of gaming you got running into the TV, any sound coming out of the TV will go through your amp set up. You should hear Rock Band through my setup....will blow your mind.

Vizio e420vl. I hooked up audio out from tv to kenwood stereo phono "in" and it sound pretty bad. No Bass, highs were not good at all,like no power.Wrong "in" on stereo? Also, Some stereo shop that specializes in McIntosh systems recommended SOLID wire for speakers. I always thought it should be stranded.Is he wrong?

That's because it's frequency response is purposely skewed - vinyl has the lows cut and the highs boosted in mastering, and the inverse is applied in the phono amp, for the purpose of reducing high frequency noise.

A phono amp is only good for inputs that need the RIAA eq curve applied.

Originally Posted By: Win

That's because it's frequency response is purposely skewed - vinyl has the lows cut and the highs boosted in mastering, and the inverse is applied in the phono amp, for the purpose of reducing high frequency noise.

A phono amp is only good for inputs that need the RIAA eq curve applied.

+1. Records are processed with an RIAA filter due to the nature of the beast. If you pass line-level audio from any other source through this, it'll sound very strange and overload the phono pre-amp, resulting in a lot of distorsion.

Re: solid wire. Forget that. Nonsense.

BTW your TV audio will only sound as good as the source signal and quality of your loudspeakers. LS's won't necessarily "improve" the sound.

So keep it simple. Set all tone controls on the KW to 'flat' to begin and play around with the audio menu on the TV.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord

Exactly; I buy all my cables and interconnects from Blue Jeans Cable; a company that makes no outlandish claims with respect to cabling affecting sound quality.

Exactly! I remember in the early 80s,the "in thing" to have on your stereo system were those gold plated UBER EXPENSIVE Monster Cables and Monster Wire to hook up your components and speakers. No need whatsoever for that stuff. I'm using patchcords and speaker wire from my dad's old 1960s Realistic system that he no longer uses,and my stereo sounds AWESOME!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back