d.i. turbo vs d.i. non-turbo / deposits, dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Which one is more prone to leave deposits or dilute based strictly on engine architecture and all else being equal? If there is a difference at all.

I would guess DI turbo has a potential of being worse in terms of dilution. When you ride a turbo car hard, it goes through more fuel to generate all that extra power, so more of it is likely to enter the oil.

When it comes to deposits, not sure that there is a difference. The deposits come from the oil.

I was also thinking of oil coming up to temps in a short tripper; the turbo bringing that oil to temp quicker than a non-turbo application. Thus, the na d.i. possibly dumping more fuel in this scenario.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I would guess DI turbo has a potential of being worse in terms of dilution. When you ride a turbo car hard, it goes through more fuel to generate all that extra power, so more of it is likely to enter the oil.

When it comes to deposits, not sure that there is a difference. The deposits come from the oil.

The turbocharged di engines have to over fuel significantly more to prevent detonation.

I'm not sure that having a turbo makes a big difference on bringing the oil up to temp. Maybe it depends on the design. I know my old Audi A4 1.8T would take a very long time to get the oil up to temp during winter, and even after extended driving, the oil temp wouldn't go past about 175F.

I'd say they're about equal on both counts. It doesn't matter how much more fuel is pushed through the engine, the computer will control the mixture / boost and temps on a modern engine. It's a non-issue.

Originally Posted By: Robster
It doesn't matter how much more fuel is pushed through the engine, the computer will control the mixture / boost and temps on a modern engine.

My point was that a turbo engine has the capability to burn through a lot more fuel in the same amount of time as a non-turbo engine, assuming similar cylinder displacement volume.

This is a good Question OP.

I believe though if both being equal deposit wise (power loss) it would be less noticeable on the Turbo since air is being forced in those crudded up intake valves.

In the real world I imagine the engines would carbon up equally.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robster
I'd say they're about equal on both counts. It doesn't matter how much more fuel is pushed through the engine, the computer will control the mixture / boost and temps on a modern engine. It's a non-issue.

yeah but turbo af ratios have to be a lot lower or the motor won't live very long.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Maybe this will interest you.

carbon deposits

Good read. Thanks for sharing. Its interesting where in the last paragraph they site that certain additives in Grp IV, and base stocks comprised of PAO oils may only slow the buildup of valve deposits but by being only a theory and not substantiated, the jury is still out because visual inspection showed deposits similar to engines not using said additives or oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back