Hastings vs Federated Auto Parts Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: engineer20
it's not a fram, but it's in the same tier as fram, "better" than fram, but still, not many pleats/filter area

but it doesn't have carboard endcaps and the spring is a coil spring, so that's good and it has a good antidrainback valve, it's shortchanged in terms of media area, but it's sturdier than a fram, so i guess i's ok for a 3k oci since it has metal end caps, but it's got the media area of a fram, but not the endcaps/drainbackvalve/spring of the fram, it's got the metal and the coil spring, so that's an upgrade from the fram, but it's simliar in media area to the fram, and doesn't have many pleats

is 30 something pleats enough or is that not good enough?

good enough for the company that made them. likely good enough for you too.

http://youtu.be/xAdNL7bT0C8

This vid it's self is pure garbage. He slams fram for using a light weight steel for the inside of the filter, so what, who ever saw the inside of a filter collapse. Points out the fact the valve inside is plastic, so what, how many parts of your engine are plastic. Makes a big deal about the cardboard end caps, again so what, anyone show where this has ever been an issue. Then blasts the ADB valve for being flexible and able to collapse it, is not the valve supposed to be flexible?

Literally millions and millions of these same filters have been used in engines of all types over the years with no problems.

With all this said the other filters will also serve anyone just as well. I did notice the Hastings filter was short on filter media tho.

For crying out loud guy, get a life, or grow a pair, which ever it takes.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Engineer, get a rattle can of orange paint and spray it orange, I bet you can't tell the difference between the two filters.

Ya, I know, you'll need to ask which brand of orange spray paint is better, and which will hold up better to the heat of your engine, and, and, and, and,and............................................................................................................................
Reminds me of guitar players who ask endless questions about how to get some guitar hero's electric guitar tone. You wouldn't believe how much garbage is sold to idiots under the slogan, "tempting the mindless with the useless." The answer is you can't. The answer to getting better tone is to PLAY BETTER. It's simple but some people want tone in a box they can buy from Guitar Center. Playing better and experience never occurs to them. Experience (and the player's ears) is what determines what is "better," and in the same vein, experience is what tells an individual user of (enter product type here) is better.

So engineer20, DYOFDW and quit looking for answers no one can give you. Change your oil. Change your filter. If you are so inclined, cut the filter, take photos of the filter, no matter the condition and report back. But asking pointless questions in innumerable threads about nothing will not net you the information you want/need. The only thing that will do that is experience. Get out there and do it. Trust your experience, internet goobers, no matter how well-intentioned, are still internet goobers (I'm one of them!) and nothing they tell you has any value to YOUR situation. Only you can determine what's best for you. That's it.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Last edited:
maybe i asked too many q's but iv'e come to the conclusion that the federated has the media area of a fram, yet the metal endcaps/good spring/good features of a good standard filter like a purolator classic or a toyota OEM, but it is shortchanged on the media,

so my question is, if you do a short OCI, is too little media still bad, or is it OK?

and would I benefit from using a filter with much more media for a short OCI?

so it's better than a fram but not as good as the purolator classic because it has way less media than the classic.

Seriously now, if in fact you are doing a short OCI say 3,000 miles you would be just as fine using any standard filter, and not a premium filter. The Federated would be fine, as would be the Fram or the OEM. Frankly I would lean towards the OEM, they are close to the same price point, and are actually made for your engine.

There, you got my honest opinion.

I drive a Pontiac Vibe made by Toyota, I use either OEM or Fram Tough or Fram Ultra. All depends on the mood I'm in when I get ready for an oil change. Any of the three fit my OCI of 5 to 7 thousand miles.

thanks. the oems are actuallhy near 5 dollars, but i got 3 for sale, as in when you buy 3, you get a dollar off each one, so i got 3 @3.70 each
the fram orange is about 3.70

the federated is at my tire place and i hear they are cheap and only 2 dollars,
the purolator classic is 3.27 at walmart, 3.29 at meijer

i recently got a new microgard made by wix with the same part number as the wix, is that good? it was part of an oil change special

how does the federated compare to the microgard or the napa pro select or napa silver? I konw napa gold is wix and wix is pretty good
but i guess i don't need a gold/wix for a 3k OCI, do I? the microgard might be better than the federated for a 3k oci though i guess the federated isn't bad

even if it's not bad/the worst, you could do better if you choose a "cheap" filter

Lets not get into the is this, is that, what if, etc, etc , again.

I gave you my best advice, based on 50 some years of changing my own oil & filters.

Don't make a big deal out of saving a dollar or two, and don't make a big deal out of spending a dollar or two more. In the grand scheme of things it will make no difference, bet you spend more than that on a Mikey D's or where you buy a burger. It also will make no difference in saving or shortening your engine life if you do 3000 to 5000 mile OCI.

Now if you wish to start up with the useless questions, I will start up with the useless answers.

Stay cool.

maybe i asked too many q's but iv'e come to the conclusion that the federated has the media area of a fram, yet the metal endcaps/good spring/good features of a good standard filter like a purolator classic or a toyota OEM, but it is shortchanged on the media,

so my question is, if you do a short OCI, is too little media still bad, or is it OK?

and would I benefit from using a filter with much more media for a short OCI?

so it's better than a fram but not as good as the purolator classic because it has way less media than the classic.

Um, you say you're an engineer. Figure it out for yourself. Aren't you an engineer?

Gregk24 is/was in the same boat as I am, just a newbie trying to protect my engine and take advantage of sales. I already have a stash of oil and filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back