MaxLife 5w30, 5k oil on 07 Sienna with 95k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hemitom
Remember the old adage! Don't try to fix what ain't broke.

Heh by that logic we'd all still be changing our oil every 3000 miles.

Originally Posted By: raitchison
Remember the old adage! Don't try to fix what ain't broke.

Heh by that logic we'd all still be changing our oil every 3000 miles.
I'm refering to the reply of switching to a lighter oil, why change with the results your having on 5w and 10w30

I'm refering to the reply of switching to a lighter oil, why change with the results your having on 5w and 10w30

Ahh got it, sorry for misunderstanding your post
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I see you're obviously stuck in your ways, so I won't bother trying to get you to use a better oil. 10w30 forever, carry on!

Question for you Memphis, what do you mean by a better oil for him to use?? In his climate do you think a 0w20 or 5w20 would really benefit him ?

Originally Posted By: raitchison
Your sienna has been back specified to run 0w20 and 5w20 and many have run it with great results. I would recommend Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 or Toyota Genuine 0w20.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
If Toyota back specked it Merk, there is nothing wrong with running a 20 weight.

I've never run Xw20 oil in any car, it's my opinion that car manufacturers who call for it are only looking to improve their CAFE numbers at the expense of long term engine life. They know that when that proverbial chicken comes home to roost the car will be well out of warranty and they won't have to pay for it.

Complete bonk! People have been saying this and similar for years now without a single example of an oil related engine failure of the millions of cars that have spec'd 5W-20. Where are all the dead or dying Crown Vic's and Accord?

And if you've run a 5W-30, you've run a 5W-20 because most 5W-30's sheered down to a 20...

If Toyota back specked it Merk, there is nothing wrong with running a 20 weight.

But why change to a thinner viscosity when the UOA results are stellar with 5W-30 ?

Do you think you can improve on those numbers with 0W-20 ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

But why change to a thinner viscosity when the UOA results are stellar with 5W-30 ?

Do you think you can improve on those numbers with 0W-20 ?

He might get less varnish with a full synthetic, which we all want to avoid, right Merk?

I see you're obviously stuck in your ways, so I won't bother trying to get you to use a better oil. 10w30 forever, carry on!

Question for you Memphis, what do you mean by a better oil for him to use?? In his climate do you think a 0w20 or 5w20 would really benefit him ?

As the OP did express an interest in extending OCI, the full syn 0w20 will maintain a better TBN/TAN relationship for the longer interval. If he stays where he is at now, i don't see a need to change, although Maxlife does make a syn blend 5w20 that would work too.

After i made my initial recommendation, i went back and read his first post, and it made things a little clearer.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...mmen#Post900160

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back