Plastic Hub caps making noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan last year and had my old tires on my car installed on it because the van tires were shot and the car tires were in good shape. Only issue was that while they did fit...the van took a 65 and the middle number on the car tire was 60. The hub caps have not made a peep until now. I just had brand new tires of the correct size and spec installed and the instant I rolled away I noticed it sounds like I have gravel in my tire treads. Is there a way to quiet down these plastic hub caps? These are the ones that bolt on with the wheel.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Using a different tire size can't cause the hubcaps to make noise.

Not unless the older tires had those 'rim guards', or fatter sidewall that flares out over the lip of the rim. Maybe this was putting a little pressure on the OD of the wheel covers and preventing them from moving around
confused.gif
But I think the issue the OP mentions is quite common, if not completely normal. Both of our vehicles have plastic wheel covers. Both also are held on by the lug nuts. In our case, they make no noise. But I can't tell you how many cars I hear driving past our front window with the wheel covers clicking when they go over a bump.

Well, right now i have the correct size tire on the van. I'm gong to have to just live with those stupid hub caps. Or, buy alloy wheels, which i'm not about to do. Somone mentioned putting padded tape around the outside edge of the hub caps underneath so you cant see it. NOt sure if that would do the trick or not.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Well, right now i have the correct size tire on the van. I'm gong to have to just live with those stupid hub caps. Or, buy alloy wheels, which i'm not about to do. Somone mentioned putting padded tape around the outside edge of the hub caps underneath so you cant see it. NOt sure if that would do the trick or not.

Try something like Dynamat or Fatmat inside the hubcap.

How about just taking them off? Or taking them off and try putting them back on....maybe there is something wedged in there that needs cleaned out?

I had an 84 Reliant that developed a clicking sound as it rolled. It was low mileage but out of warrantee.
Took it to Firestone since I had credit there. They said it needed new front axles and struts. Bull.
I went home and took off all four plastic hub caps--noise gone! It was just the metal clips that hold the hub caps on clicking as the wheels rolled!

If I recall correctly, that year Grand Caravan has the wheel covers that are retained by the lug nut's shoulder. The cover appears at first to be one of the types that are snap-on/clip-on so if one were to pry it off breaking the tabs, when going to re-install, it's going to be loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back