Fram Ultra FAILURE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
I used to have a 328i with the same basic motor which I bought at 52000 km or 32000 miles.
I used to change the oil every fall at 8000 km interval. I have never seen my filter in that bad of shape with all that sludge. Stop blaming the filter. That engine is sludged up and it clogged up the filter. This is what happens when people change their oil at 20 to 25000 km ( 12 - 15000 mile) intervals. One more thing, those engines don't tick if normal.
THANK YOU! This IS what you get with such extended OCI/OFI.

Jesus wept.

Originally Posted By: telecat

Jesus wept.

Potential sludge issues aside, a filter should not have disintegrated like that, IMO.

Quote:
...Potential sludge issues aside, a filter should not have disintegrated like that, IMO.

While I see no definitive evidence, based solely on the filter appearance, of the OP's engine being sludged, it wouldn't explain what looks to be a very similar if not identical issue in the pic below from the linked thread where no sludging was alleged.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3411091/1

IMG_20140629_202406548_HDR.jpg

I'm genuinely concerned about the current FRAM cartridge filter failure problem.

I own 4 of those Ultras for my Camry.

Right now, I'm running a FRAM OCOD (sans the can) and Peak 5W-20 in my #2 Camry without a problem.

Nothing but the best for Camry #2.

That oil change cost me about $7.00.

I guess I'll try one of the Ultras in Camry #2 and listen for any indication of oil starvation.

On second thought, I'm going to look for my Advance Auto receipt.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Jesus wept.

Potential sludge issues aside, a filter should not have disintegrated like that, IMO.

With that OCI/FCI, yes, it probably should.

So it's OK for a filter to break apart within 3K miles?

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
My first impression is that this is a sludged motor. The filter was overwhelmed and some sludge got past the bypass. If I were you, I would get a lot of cheap filters and change them every 750 miles till the sludge is gone. Unless this model gets oil that black that quickly.

That said, the filter did come apart.
Sludge will do that.

I used to have a 328i with the same basic motor which I bought at 52000 km or 32000 miles.
I used to change the oil every fall at 8000 km interval. I have never seen my filter in that bad of shape with all that sludge. Stop blaming the filter. That engine is sludged up and it clogged up the filter. This is what happens when people change their oil at 20 to 25000 km ( 12 - 15000 mile) intervals. One more thing, those engines don't tick if normal.
Um, you'll have to turn in your BITOG membership card. 20K OCI/OFI is mandatory at BITOG and if you say that's wrong, you're a drama queen.

If the engine is that badly sludged, yes.

That's two failures that I'm aware of, not good. OTOH Fram at least cares, it should be interesting to see how it is handled. If this continues no biggie for me, I simply change brands again, just like I did with the Purolator fiasco. Which BTW it appears they don't care. If Fram resolves the issue and it is safe to go back in the water, I'm in. This could also be an issue related to cartridge filters, so an all out panic isn't warranted just yet. lol

If the engine is that badly sludged, yes.

When did you last have your eyes examined?? Seriously, where do you see sludge
confused.gif
confused.gif

Failures with Fram filters? This can't be...they don't have failures...just ask Zee0Six and jcwit...

I do not konw what motor you have in your 328i, but I can tell you the N52 3.0L BMW engine is WELL KNOWN to have cold start ticking issues. BMW has issued several TSB's on this subject. They included a hot high speed engine idle fix, replacing the lifters to fix it, and finally a totally new cylinder head that includes a check valve to fix this issue. The cold engine ticking led to a production line head change in about 2009 or 2010 if I remember right. If you type in "BMW N52 cold tick" you will learn more than you care to about a very common problem.

I did not receive the service history for this engine...so I don't know what the previous OCI's were.

The engine does not appear to be sludged. When I look in the oil fill cap there is some small evidence of very light sludging, but nothing that stands out. The engine really sounlds like its in awesome shape, and runs just great. We can easily get 25+ mpg on highway trips, and my wife averages 21 mpg in her daily commute. There is zero oil usage according to the gauge so far. When I took the filter apart, it was dark - but I do not know what this new filter media color should be after it has been used. I see NO CHUNKS, or slime, or coating, or anything that would lead me to believe the engine was sludged. Yes, the oil is darker than I expected, but I read on here time and time again that oil color has zero indication of quality or service life...or sludge content. The oil dripped on the paper towel showed no strange evidence of sludging or contamination.

After the filter change and Italian tune-up the ticking is still gone. I will re-inspect this filter in about 1000 miles and post additional pictures.

I have received the Fram package in the mail today, and will send the filter back tomorrow.

My pictures look just like the other Fram Ultra failure pictures posted above...and IMHO the media looks the same color and condition as well.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
When I look in the oil fill cap there is some small evidence of very light sludging, but nothing that stands out.

Doesn't this engine have a plastic baffle just below the oil fill cap that effectively prevents you from seeing engine internals?

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
When I look in the oil fill cap there is some small evidence of very light sludging, but nothing that stands out.

Doesn't this engine have a plastic baffle just below the oil fill cap that effectively prevents you from seeing engine internals?

no

Originally Posted By: grampi
Failures with Fram filters? This can't be...they don't have failures...just ask Zee0Six and jcwit...

Apparently you didn't seem my comment in this thread. Also, apparently you haven't got all that sand out of your undies yet.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: grampi

Apparently you didn't seem my comment in this thread. Also, apparently you haven't got all that sand out of your undies yet.
grin.gif

I thought you said there were no Fram faliures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back