Rotella in a civic MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

Here's my idea running Rotella 10w30 in my 91 civic's manual trans. I have run syncromesh before with marginal results and 10w30 dino oil with ok results. From looking at VOA's the Rotella is similar to the Honda MTF, but thicker. I think my trans likes the heavier viscosity. I'd like to her some thoughts on this.

Link to Honda MTF VOA http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1971039#Post1971039

Link to Rotella VOA http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1791357#Post1791357

What do mean by marginal results?

Poor shifting, abnormal wear indications from a UOA?

I can't see any advantages to running Rotella.

A dedicated fluid from the list below will get you better synchro performance and a GL-4 protection rating.

Quote:

B. The next higher viscosity MTL would be the 7.5 cSt versions (About the same viscosity as a DexronIII)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax

2. Ravenol MTF-2

3. Honda MTF

4. VW part number G052512A2

5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2

C. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

D. The next higher viscosity MTL would be BG Synchroshift II 8.2 cSt

E. The next higher viscosity is Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0cSt

F. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt

G. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

Originally Posted By: gametom
Poor shifting, Not wanting to go into 1st and reverse mostly.

Sounds like a worn out clutch.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: gametom
Poor shifting, Not wanting to go into 1st and reverse mostly.

Sounds like a worn out clutch.

Yes.

This is a cable actuated clutch. When was the last time it was adjusted?

worn synchro set on the 1st and 2nd gear is common to Honda MT of yore where improper MT fluid usage was common.

Back in those days: regular 10W30 multivisc motor oil was the proper manufacturer endorsed temporary replacement when the real trannie fluid was not avail. Since then: most Honda MT user would simply go with 10W30 multivisc motor oil as their regular gear oil.

With the lack of proper AW and EP additives, multivisc 10W30 oil will not keep their MT gearbox in good long service life.

Q.

I'm using MTF-II in my 07 fit now, and have no plans of substituting/replacing it with non Honda MTF or aftermarket replacement equivalent.

Q.

Run Redline MTL and enjoy smoother shifts and mpg increase. I run this in all front wheel drive manuals with great success. Ditch the shell in your tranny with air compressor and use proper fluid like RL MTL or Honda MTF.

I would run Mobil 1 0W-40 or Honda OEM...

Had a Dodge that used 5W-30 as a tranny fluid, shifted terrible until it got moving and warmed up...

Last edited:
Oh, heck: Why not try antifreeze in there? I've never heard of using motor oil as a substitute for gear oil or ATF, the slip coefficients are so different.

Based on your trans issues....it's amazing the thing still works at all....I'd try RL 75/90 NS, it's formulated to slow the synchros which would allow for smoother shifting.

Rotella's a fine brew for the engine, however.

My oldest son had an '95 Accord and according to the manual the same quality 5w-30 used in the engine was to be used in the MT. We changed it with 5w-30 and he never had any shifting issues in over 100,000 mi. he drove it.

My Focus shifts much better with the Ford "tranny honey" in it than it did from the factory. Some builders, however, use Rotella T6 in the MT in the Focus.

5w-30 would be a bit thinner than actual gear oil.

If you're having difficulty getting into 1st and reverse you probably want thinner. I would really try the post 2006 Honda MTF which is about 6 bucks a qt at a dealer.

Still the Rotella isn't going to harm anything, I just think the cold weather shiftability will suffer.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Oh, heck: Why not try antifreeze in there? I've never heard of using motor oil as a substitute for gear oil or ATF, the slip coefficients are so different.

Based on your trans issues....it's amazing the thing still works at all....I'd try RL 75/90 NS, it's formulated to slow the synchros which would allow for smoother shifting.

10w-30 was the Honda spec for the manual transmission when that car was new. It's not a substitute, the OP is actually following the Honda recommendation.

Way back when I had my '89 Acura Integra(same tranny as a civic) I switched out the FF in the tranny and put in Mobil 1 10w-30; which it did not like. Manual recommended a 30w engine oil. Within 1k miles I drained that out and put in Valvoline 10w-30 conventional which it seemed to like much better. I'm guessing that the CF from the conventional was more like the FF than the Mobil 1, but who knows. I wound up filtering the M1 through cheese cloth and used it as part of my next oil change. Just my $.02.

Last edited:
I was gonna post my car and my problems with it but decided to not bother. I would like to know if Honda backdates the MTF for use in their 88-91 and 92-95 Civics. Be great if someone who works at Honda can get this info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Noey

I hope that was sarcasm since nothing stated is accurate.

A 75W90 has a 100C viscosity of about 15 cSt.

The Honda tranny was originally speced for 7.5 to 10 cSt, depending on the year, so ROtella or 75W90 gear lube is too thick.

Any dedicated MTF is going to function better and protect better than motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back