Good octane booster in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recommendations? I've got some old fuel, I recently syphoned out 3/4's of it and now want to add some fresh gas along with some octane booster just to be sure.

Stablizer will go in as well, as the car doesn't get much use.

Really, you will be wasting money.
Just dilute it to a greater degree with fresh gas.

I recently used some 5 year old gas in a 5 to 1 mix and had no problems whatsoever.

berryman b-12 has about 40-50% toluene.

Composition / Information on Ingredients
Ingredient CAS Number Weight
Acetone 67-64-1 20-30%
2-Butoxyethanol 111-76-2 Isopropyl Alcohol 67-63-0 Methanol 67-56-1 20-30%
Methyl Ethyl Ketone 78-93-3 Toluene 108-88-3 40-50%

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
berryman b-12 has about 40-50% toluene.

Composition / Information on Ingredients
Ingredient CAS Number Weight
Acetone 67-64-1 20-30%
2-Butoxyethanol 111-76-2 Isopropyl Alcohol 67-63-0 Methanol 67-56-1 20-30%
Methyl Ethyl Ketone 78-93-3 Toluene 108-88-3 40-50%

And..its only 3 bucks and change at wally world..

The problem with old gas is not a drop in octane.....In fact, the octane rating probably rises marginally over time. The lighter elements tend to evaporate off, leaving the heavier elements to degrade into varnish, sludgy [censored] and maybe a layer of water, if ethanol is in the mix.

Like others said, just dilute with as much fresh gas as will fit. Repeat.

too much Toluene or Xylene in your gas will ruin your fuel system's elastomers, such as seals/o-rings throughout your entire fuel delivery systems: from the o-rings and seals inside the fuel pump, fuel rails, etc. all the way to the fuel injector portion.

Don't believe me? try soaking some fuel-rail grade O-rings (mostly viton these days, not so much as neoprene) in a clear glass mason jar in Xylene or Toluene (or even Acetone) and see what happens.

Your problem with fuel should be to add techron to combat the gum/deposit formation when trying to use up the remaining old fuel in tank. Definitely mix that with fresh pump fuel and then drive/use them up as quickly as possible.

modern EFI cars have the ability to adjust to octane in gas (by using a feedback systems based on knock sensor to retard/advance the ignition timing). Don't be bothered with octane booster of some kind.

Moving forward: next time when you decide to keep fuel inside your vehicle for an extended period of time, try adding some fuel stabiliser such as red sta-bil or similar...it will keep the light, "aromatic" part of the fuel stable for an extended period of time.

Also: keeping that vehicle under the shade/in a garage with minimal temperature fluctuation would also be desirable.

Q.

Why can't you just take it to the gas station and put in the recommended gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quest
too much Toluene or Xylene in your gas will ruin your fuel system's elastomers, such as seals/o-rings throughout your entire fuel delivery systems: from the o-rings and seals inside the fuel pump, fuel rails, etc. all the way to the fuel injector portion.

Don't believe me? try soaking some fuel-rail grade O-rings (mostly viton these days, not so much as neoprene) in a clear glass mason jar in Xylene or Toluene (or even Acetone) and see what happens.

True, but nobody is advocating running pure Xylene or Toluene in your fuel system... that would harm your fuel system for sure.

However, in moderate amounts, Xylene and Toluene (and other aromatic hydrocarbons) are no more harmful to your fuel system than normal gasoline (typical gasoline contains ~1-10% Xylene and ~1-10% Toluene right out of the pump).

I believe the type of Viton typically used in fuel systems is supposed to be good for gasoline with aromatic content up to around 50% (though 30-40% is more typical, IIRC).

http://www.biofuels.coop/archive/viton.pdf

Alright- I wont bother with any booster than. I'll just add some more gas to the 1/4 tank I have now. Thought it might help.

How old is the gas? I don't see that mentioned yet.

However if you have 3/4 fresh gas you should be good. If it were mine the fresh gas would be premium 91 octane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back