Mobil 2 stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rosetta
Spin on car's filters don't get almost nothing, even the best ones, just stones and a little obstacle for the fine stuff. They run less times compared to a no filter system, but still runs inside the engine and scratch it, up to moan. Tha's why I settle for decantation from time to time.

The worst spin-on oil filters take out almost everything above 40 microns. For Mobil2, you could take out down to about 1 micron with a filter bag or some water filter cartridges. Decantation treatment of the oil takes too long and not all the solids will settle out, although I'd guess most would. I've never tried it so letting the solids just settle to the bottom over 4 months or so might work. Most folks going for Mobil2 want it now though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
I'm inspired by Rosetta at BITOG Thread Link. Will try a half-micron nylon bag to create usable Mobil2, as in This Oil Strainer and a Bucket Picture

That's actually a cool filter , but would get pretty gross after the first time you used it.

Its cool because of the PTFE Teflon coating they apply to the fine mesh to get the pores to close down to 0.5 microns (maybe that means 85% of all particles 0.5 microns or greater, not sure but typical spec for these meshes). I'm wondering if it needs to sit in the filter all day to drip out! I may pre-filter it with a 20 micron mesh first to avoid clogging the tiny mesh one.

I did an experiment

Back to back OCI's in sub 50k old 3MZ-FE, VG33E, and Vulcan V6's.
Each was 6 months and roughly 5k long give or take
This was back in the days of AZ's $35 Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Filter deal.

They all became so loud and coarse sounding, it actually worried me. Many of my family and friends drove these 3 cars, and all commented on how they were louder then they used to be.
I didn't tell any of them what I'd done.

Maybe it's just the 6 filters I'd gotten, but I've always gotten start up noise with Mobil 1 Filters.

Its seems unlikely that M1 oil filter anti-drainback valves (ADBV) don't work, causing the noises michaelluscher mentioned. They use the same silicon ADBV as Fram ToughGuard.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I did an experiment

Back to back OCI's in sub 50k old 3MZ-FE, VG33E, and Vulcan V6's.
Each was 6 months and roughly 5k long give or take
This was back in the days of AZ's $35 Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Filter deal.

They all became so loud and coarse sounding, it actually worried me. Many of my family and friends drove these 3 cars, and all commented on how they were louder then they used to be.
I didn't tell any of them what I'd done.

Maybe it's just the 6 filters I'd gotten, but I've always gotten start up noise with Mobil 1 Filters.

Huh. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 in a 2000 4runner, an 05 Tacoma and a 12 Outback. The 4runner has over 245k, and has never used any. I guess my being half deaf (Actually more) does have a payoff. I had no idea that these motors are loud.

This reminds me of the guy who had a piece of junk truck that he drove to work. One day at lunchtime, he took the company car to an appointment to get hearing aids.

After work, he got a couple of blocks from work, and pulled over. One of his buddies stopped, and asked him what was wrong......He said "There is something seriously wrong with this thing.......It is noisy as [censored]!" His coworker told him, "It has sounded like that for years!"

It is all in our perspective......

I'm thinking you just use it until the flow becomes unacceptable and you toss it. They are not that expensive if they allow extended use of synthetic oil.

I used Mobil AV1 when it was available......It worked great when used with Mogas. Problems were when it was used with 100LL.

But compared to the Shell 20W/50 conventional that was the most common competitor, fuel consumption and oil consumption definitely were lower. Too bad they could not solve the lead problem.

Actually I am the poster that coined the phrase"Mobil 2". Mobil 2 became popular in the machine shop where I worked for many years. If anyone wants to know the full story, I will repeat it here again as I have done before. It really is an intersting story, and shows the ability of M1 oils to successfully lubricate an engine.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Actually I am the poster that coined the phrase"Mobil 2". Mobil 2 became popular in the machine shop where I worked for many years. If anyone wants to know the full story, I will repeat it here again as I have done before. It really is an intersting story, and shows the ability of M1 oils to successfully lubricate an engine.

I'd like that.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
I'm inspired by Rosetta at BITOG Thread Link. Will try a half-micron nylon bag to create usable Mobil2, as in This Oil Strainer and a Bucket Picture

That's actually a cool filter , but would get pretty gross after the first time you used it.

Yeah, how would you clean the strainer bag after use?

Sounds like a mess and a lot of hassle.

I wouldn't use solvent to clean it, since then you have to think of something to do with the solvent waste puddle. I guess one could just drain it as best as you can over a 5-gallon bucket. Maybe you could put a bunch of diswashing soap or Simple Green degreaser on the dirty side, then turn the bag inside out, then strain water thru it and soak in the bucket for a while, then one more water rinse, let dry.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

I'd like that.

OK.

In the mid 90s I worked in a machine shop. One of the machinist had a 1978 Chevy with a 305 V8 and only drove it back and forth to work, only(40miles round trip). The engine had about 160K on it and was very clacky(valve train) in the winter on cold starts.
After telling me about this I suggested using M1 5-30. He said he wasn't going to spend that much for oil, so jokeingly I said I would give him my 10K used M1. To my suprise he said he would try it. Since I had 10-15 qts that hadn't been dropped off at AZ, I gave it all to him. Since it was in the winter he changed it right away, along with a new filter. To his amazement no clacky cold starts!! His engine didn't use much oil so he decided to just run my used M1( Mobil 2) without any oil changes but change the filter twice a year. He kept this up for four years and about 40K(never pulled the plug) and he said the engine never ran better, no more clacky cold winter starts, oil cosumption(which was good anyway) improved. When he needed more used oil he always ask me" got anymore Mobil 2"? It became a joke around the shop, but after a while almost all the other employees started using M1 in their engines. Of course they bought the new stuff. He finally sold the Chevy to a friend and he kept this up as well and used my 10K Mobil 2 until the trans finally let go(the GM 200).

Well that's the story of the phrase"Mobil 2.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

I'd like that.

OK.

In the mid 90s I worked in a machine shop. One of the machinist had a 1978 Chevy with a 305 V8 and only drove it back and forth to work, only(40miles round trip). The engine had about 160K on it and was very clacky(valve train) in the winter on cold starts.
After telling me about this I suggested using M1 5-30. He said he wasn't going to spend that much for oil, so jokeingly I said I would give him my 10K used M1. To my suprise he said he would try it. Since I had 10-15 qts that hadn't been dropped off at AZ, I gave it all to him. Since it was in the winter he changed it right away, along with a new filter. To his amazement no clacky cold starts!! His engine didn't use much oil so he decided to just run my used M1( Mobil 2) without any oil changes but change the filter twice a year. He kept this up for four years and about 40K(never pulled the plug) and he said the engine never ran better, no more clacky cold winter starts, oil cosumption(which was good anyway) improved. When he needed more used oil he always ask me" got anymore Mobil 2"? It became a joke around the shop, but after a while almost all the other employees started using M1 in their engines. Of course they bought the new stuff. He finally sold the Chevy to a friend and he kept this up as well and used my 10K Mobil 2 until the trans finally let go(the GM 200).

Well that's the story of the phrase"Mobil 2.

Nice!
thumbsup2.gif
I've only re-used oil once, when we were driving around in my girlfriend's 99 Grand Am when oil started pouring out of the engine from the oil pressure regulator. We pulled over right after we noticed the smoke, and the shop across the street gave us some used oil out of their tank so we could make it back home (only a few minutes away). Who knows what it was or how long it was in use, but the car's still running to this day, albeit stored for the summer as it's been demoted to winter beater status.

On more than one occasion I have taken the 5w20 out of the Kia and kept the 5qt jug in the bed of the truck. It burns a qt ~800 miles. So it got used fairly quickly. Burned the 20w much faster than the 40w or 50w I buy for it on sale.also haven't changed the oil in quite a while, just keep putting a new filter on every 3k and topping off. 169k and doing good!

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I used Mobil AV1 when it was available......It worked great when used with Mogas. Problems were when it was used with 100LL.

But compared to the Shell 20W/50 conventional that was the most common competitor, fuel consumption and oil consumption definitely were lower. Too bad they could not solve the lead problem.

You've used in what? A car?

Originally Posted By: Rosetta
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

You've used in what? A car?

I used it as intended.....
Continental IO520 285HP.......Installed in a C210E. Aren't you sorry you asked?

Earlier, with mogas, in a Lycoming O320 in a Cherokee 140.

Last edited:
When I first started college in 1980, dad bought me a '75 Vega that burned a quart of oil every 100 miles. So during the first summer of work and first semester of school, I just poured in used oil that I took from his 55-gallon barrel of waste oil, which was mostly SOHIO Multron 10w40. This worked fine until I got home for Christmas break, then we took the engine apart and got the block fitted with iron sleeves. I drove that car until I graduated and sold it to a friend for $200. It never did better than ~1000 miles per quart of oil the whole time I owned it. I also did just an annual oil change on conventional oil, which was 12-15000 miles.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
When I first started college in 1980, dad bought me a '75 Vega that burned a quart of oil every 100 miles. So during the first summer of work and first semester of school, I just poured in used oil that I took from his 55-gallon barrel of waste oil, which was mostly SOHIO Multron 10w40. This worked fine until I got home for Christmas break, then we took the engine apart and got the block fitted with iron sleeves. I drove that car until I graduated and sold it to a friend for $200. It never did better than ~1000 miles per quart of oil the whole time I owned it. I also did just an annual oil change on conventional oil, which was 12-15000 miles.

That must have made a huge plume of smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back