OCI/FCI strategy for a high mileage 2000 Saturn SL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: txelen

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
You can use a longer M1-209 filter on Saturn S series...

Cross reference is Fram 3614 or longer Fram 3600...

Originally Posted By: Rhgmechanic
Motorcraft FL400S fits, too. Knowing how messy the operation is, I wouldn't blame her for changing filters every other time as long as the engine is fairly clean inside.

The filter change is cleaner and easier if you remove the passenger side tire and inner fender splash shield. But then you have to, well, jack up the car and remove the tire.

When I looked under the car, it looked like the area around the filter was very tight, I was worried that a longer filter wouldn't fit on. How much clearance is there along the longitudinal axis of the oil filter with one of the larger filters?

There is plenty of room in there for the longer filters. In fact, it's actually easier to remove and replace the longer filter. I usually use a FL-400S, and change both the oil and filter at 5K.

For oil, I'd just use whatever conventional is on sale, or go to Walmart and get some Super Tech or MS5K. I'm using Maxlife Nextgen 10W-40, but only because I got a boat load of it on clearance at OReilly's.

+1 on a thicker synthetic. I'd use Shell Rotella 5W-40, Mobil 1 0W-40, or even Mobil 1 HM 10W-30 or 10W-40 in summer. Some have reported it slowed burning down quite a bit...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
+1 on a thicker synthetic. I'd use Shell Rotella 5W-40, Mobil 1 0W-40, or even Mobil 1 HM 10W-30 or 10W-40 in summer. Some have reported it slowed burning down quite a bit...

I'm hesitant to tell her to run anything other than manual spec'ed 5W30 or 10W30 (coastal SoCal is warm enough that it meets the manual criteria for 10W30)

Is there a really detergent-rich 5W30 that she could run for one OCI to clean things out?

For the first 1400 miles of my current OCI my car was running on 4 quarts of Mobil 1 TDT 5w-40 and the residual stuck in the works (Valvoline NextGen 5w-30) due to the fact I did not change the filter. Ran just fine. At 1400 miles I added a pint of MMO. Car is running like a top. 1993 SL2

Don't be afraid to run xW-40 grade oils in them, the engine might take a small MPG hit but otherwise will run fine.

Heck, I ran M1 15w-50 in mine. But I preferred 5w-20(!) over the 40 & 50 grade oils in my Saturns. A 5w-20 HM oil will suit you well, it's almost a 30 grade and won't shear back.

Originally Posted By: txelen
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

I'm hesitant to tell her to run anything other than manual spec'ed 5W30 or 10W30 (coastal SoCal is warm enough that it meets the manual criteria for 10W30)

Is there a really detergent-rich 5W30 that she could run for one OCI to clean things out?

The 40W synthetics won't hurt a thing. People regularly ran conventional 15W-40 in those engines for tens of thousands of miles.

Both Mobil 1 and Pennzoil (5W-30) synthetics claim to clean and both seem too in my experience. Mobil 1 HM 5W-30 might be your best bet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back