roofing felt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a roof soon (1960 ranch, tear off, climbable, 31 squares) was thinking 30 lb felt, bidders want 15 lb, I am looking at Owens Corning synthetic deck protector "felt" as a possible upgrade, and also a 35? lb dimensional shingle, (Indiana). Anyway, I think labor is the biggie so I will go for the better materials as possible with probably small incremental cost. Any other upgrades? Hurricane straps? Comments?

I have 10" styrofoam stressed skin panels so I ice and water shielded my entire roof

Read the warranty on your shingles. For example I used GAF shingles and, surprise surprise, they wanted GAF underlayment and about 100 other nagging details.

If you're having a contractor do it, I'd have them do a complete, same-brand deal and guarantee their labor. If they're a certified installer or whatever they call it for a brand, get that too.

I've seen 30yr/old+ roofing felt peel off during a tear off, like it was just put on last month. Under the right conditions and quality of shingle and application over it, it does it's job as long as the shingles do.

In the event water gets under the shingles, would I want something newer than ~100yr/old tar paper technology? Totally.

Like said above, I've seen people have their whole roof applied with ice and water shield. I'd go that GAF material route that Matt suggested above, or I&W/S.

Last edited:
I wouldn't spec heavier tar paper. I'd rather a synthetic underlayment like Grace or similar. At least one row of it would be standard around here.

What is the heavier felt going to do that the regular wouldn't?

Definitely dimensional shingles vs 3 tab. A lot of times the money you save on 3 tab shingles is eaten up by the extra waste and more labor for install. Any decent roofer will probably echo this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back