The New Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
35.gif

i don't understand the picture of the burger with a crown

burger king?

regardless, they say the metal mesh that the ultra has is good, but that video of it failing gives me reservation about using this filter, but otherwise it seems all the reviews of the fram ultra sound good

i got one myself as part of a castrol OC special at advanced auto parts

Originally Posted By: engineer20
i don't understand the picture of the burger with a crown

burger king?

regardless, they say the metal mesh that the ultra has is good, but that video of it failing gives me reservation about using this filter, but otherwise it seems all the reviews of the fram ultra sound good

i got one myself as part of a castrol OC special at advanced auto parts

The filter that failed was most likely a leaf spring that came out, not a media rupture which is extreme rare. This is the only failure noted by any Fram Ultra spin on that I know of. There are two cartridge filters that have had issues, so that's 3 complaints compared to the hundred of Purolators on the net?

There is an old saying, All good things come to an end.

But remember all manufactures have a problem now and then. We are nothing more than mortal man.

Don't worry about the singe Ultra spin-on "failure". When there are literally dozens upon dozens of reported failures (like with the Purolators), then I'd be concerned.

While this is technically a 'filter failure', I would say it's not so much a defect in the filter, as it is the result of damage at the hands of the consumer segment.

Lots of people are quick to point out that the dent itself is small, but these people seem to be missing the point that the internal damage resulting from the drop is likely far worse than the dent would reveal.

Since the dent is on the top of the filter, it would have fallen top-down. Given the weight of the overall filter and the average height at which I see the Fram Ultras stocked on store shelves, the actual impact force would have been fairly substantial, and the spring would have bore the brunt of it, which would have compromised it quite a bit.

Drop one of these on your foot, and tell me if you think there was a lot of impact force on that spring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back