I Don't Change My Oil - Test Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Originally Posted By: jsinton
Because for me to maintain the oil as clean looking, it would require almost four oil changes a year, which would run more like $80 in my case. As it is, I probably spend less than $28 per year.

What is your yearly mileage?

How much is the engine in this vehicle?

We get tons of firestone and goodyear oil change coupon deals, for 19-20 dollars every time. How much is the filter you buy, and the quart of oil to top it off?

Are you really saving anything?

I probably average 15k a year
I buy four Purolator filters for $3.27 a pop
I buy Super Tech High Mileage for $15 for 5 quarts

So that's $28 as opposed to $75 or so if I change it. And maybe $80 minimum if somebody else does it. They charge me $70 at the dealer to do a full change on the Prius.

It takes me 2 minutes to change a filter and replenish the oil, so I never have to take my car to the shop, or never have to jack up the car and spill oil. I catch waste oil is caught in a paper cup. It takes years to make a gallon to recycle, so I never have gallons of waste oil to dispose of. I can change it on the road when I go to Maine at the rest stop. My oil always looks clean, and now I know it is.

JustinH said:
jsinton said:
My oil always looks clean, and now I know it is.

I don't know why you say your oil looks clean.
It's still going to be jet black and contaminated. A new filter isn't going to change that.
Your question really is, is the oil still serviceable or not. And the answer is yes if you don't mind changing the oil filter sufficiently frequently and thereby topping up with fresh oil.

To each their own but your motivation is to avoid jacking up the car to do a complete oil change because you find it easier to just change the filter and this way you don't have a gollin of used oil to return for proper disposal.

Recycling oil isnt a new thing ,plenty of ways to filter to 1 micron then put oil back in.but doing it the way you do?not a good idea!

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
JustinH said:
jsinton said:
My oil always looks clean, and now I know it is.

I don't know why you say your oil looks clean.
It's still going to be jet black and contaminated. A new filter isn't going to change that.
Your question really is, is the oil still serviceable or not. And the answer is yes if you don't mind changing the oil filter sufficiently frequently and thereby topping up with fresh oil.

To each their own but your motivation is to avoid jacking up the car to do a complete oil change because you find it easier to just change the filter and this way you don't have a gollin of used oil to return for proper disposal.

That's not true. My oil is honey golden a few hundred miles after filter change. When it starts geting brown and opaque, I change the filter. It really looks clean. I never let my oil get black like I see in other cars.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Recycling oil isnt a new thing ,plenty of ways to filter to 1 micron then put oil back in.but doing it the way you do?not a good idea!

You make assumptions. I have documented evidence. Nothing wrong with what I'm doing, and now I know.

You still have the used filter partially filled with oil plus the paper cup with used oil to dispose of even more frequently.
And how are you doing that? From the sound of things they are not being returned to the appropriate place that one returns used oil for recycling?

If you just want to avoid jacking up the car you can pump the oil out of the the dipstick tube into a used oil jug and leave the oil filter on for a couple of oil changes. That would seem to be a more efficient approach if you value your time.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
You still have the used filter partially filled with oil plus the paper cup with used oil to dispose of even more frequently.
And how are you doing that? From the sound of things they are not being returned to the appropriate place that one returns used oil for recycling?

If you just want to avoid jacking up the car you can pump the oil out of the the dipstick tube into a used oil jug and leave the oil filter on for a couple of oil changes. That would seem to be a more efficient approach if you value your time.

You make assumptions. I store used oil in any spare water bottle on the road to recycle later, or dump it in my waste oil container at home. And it stays clean because I change the filter, not because I add oil so much. Besides, sucking out oil from the tube doesn't sound so easy or convenient to me.

Man this is fantastic! Let the know-it-alls just spout all they want. What you are doing make all the sense in the world. And look at the RESULTS! Seriously keep in mind the results you've shown. I think most of us just wish we had the balls to do what you are doing. Keep it up!

Reason why most people won't do what jsinton is doing, not changing oil, is fear of sludge. What we need is a good way to predict the onset, the beginning of sludge. If we could do that, then you could just delay changing the oil until it looks like its about to sludge up.

A sludge gauge please

Originally Posted By: Richtrashman
Originally Posted By: route66mike

A sludge gauge please

Maybe I can get one for my arteries as well! Too many French fries, steaks, hamburgers and mayo!

Just top up your blood and replace your liver every 3 months, and you'll be OK.
smile.gif

As long as your engine doesn't shear oil, sludge would be your primary concern. Still would have liked to see a TBN in that uoa...

To see sludge better, they need to make quick-release ez-open valve covers for inspection to look for the start of sludge.

Someone tell Fumoto there's a mint to be made selling those to OCD BITOG'ers
laugh.gif

Thanks for posting your results, OP. I'm considering doing the same in my car (1qt/1-2000mi) but am running a course of UOAs first.

Reason why most people won't do what jsinton is doing, not changing oil, is fear of sludge. What we need is a good way to predict the onset, the beginning of sludge. If we could do that, then you could just delay changing the oil until it looks like its about to sludge up.

A sludge gauge please

Sludge is not concern when using synthetics.We have 20-25k miles oci without make up oil in every diesel and petrol here. Up to 150000k km on heavy trucks ( with topping up). Fuel dilution and acid build up would be my concerns. And oil thickening.I would top up with grade lighter oil every other time. But result speaks for itself. Good job OP.

A sludge gauge please

That's what UOA's are for. If viscosity is increasing over the virgin value, TBN is low, TAN is higher than TBN, and Oxidation, Nitration, and Sulfation numbers have increased, the chances are good that the oil will polymerize and start to form sludge.

UOA is too much expense/trouble/labor. Just make those valve covers easier to get off and on, and one can tell right away if goo is building up or not. Assume if goo is up in there, its a problem elsewhere in the engine as well.

32.gif
Given that the polymers are typically deposited on cooler surfaces, rather than where they are formed, I've been contemplating for a while a means of cooling the skin of the oil filter, to see if the laquer can start to be picked up there...not a complete idea, but once you can get it to a location that you want, it will harvest from other surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back