Hess acquisition by Speedway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speedway is around me but the gas depots set the price. Speedway, Pilot and Loves are the only ones who bring in their own gas. There is a Speedway and Loves at one Interstate exit near me. They will really jack up the prices sometimes and everyone else stays where they were.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Speedway is around me but the gas depots set the price. Speedway, Pilot and Loves are the only ones who bring in their own gas. There is a Speedway and Loves at one Interstate exit near me. They will really jack up the prices sometimes and everyone else stays where they were.

Good to know.
I have been told that downstate Illinois is relatively stable pricewise.

I don't know about stable. They hi/lo price will typically rotate around the area. Currently my two local stations are the highest but travel 20 miles south and they are the lowest. The two local stations are in two different town and both at interstate exits. There is a major bridge reconstruction going on between the two towns on the interstate. I think they are trying to capture the detour traffic with higher prices.

But they usually rotate the price in about three areas in a 40 mile radius of the depot. Ironically the depot is local to me.

Currently the range is 3.399 to 3.579. Gasbuddy.com is your friend.

I don't know about stable. They hi/lo price will typically rotate around the area. Currently my two local stations are the highest but travel 20 miles south and they are the lowest. The two local stations are in two different town and both at interstate exits. There is a major bridge reconstruction going on between the two towns on the interstate. I think they are trying to capture the detour traffic with higher prices.

But they usually rotate the price in about three areas in a 40 mile radius of the depot. Ironically the depot is local to me.

I heard somewhere (not sure who) that said that downstate Illinois is relatively stable in comparison to where I am at (Columbus, Ohio area.) I just went by a gas station where RUG is $3.28.9, and I would guess that there will probably be a 25-30 cent spike Weds night/Thursday morning that till take it over $3.50. If you look at the Columbus graph that I put up, you will see that this market is all over the space.

Totally agree that Gas Buddy is good to have. It really is the reason my Wife convinced me to get a smartphone.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Thanks Tdbo. It's even more fun when there actually is a 30c rise on the market, because then Speedway will raise by 30c twice in the same week.
They should contribute extra millions into healthcare for the stress they cause some people when they do that.
09.gif

I suspect local gas station owners like Speedway, because the Speedway pricing scheme enriches them too.

Glad to know that you too realize the phenomenon.
Don't know what the market is like in Lexington and the state of Kentucky, but they just dominate here. I was amazed when I read the stats from the newspaper article, posted earlier in the thread.
Around here, sometimes the other stations follow and sometimes they don't.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
You are totally unreal.

You have proven that you either did not read the rationale for the three choices, or you are just going to rant and make noise.

All this because I posted a link to The Gas Game. Know where I found that? From reading this site.

Using the site Gas Buddy, in which you claim is valid, I produced two graphs for two different markets, Columbus, Ohio and Lexington ,Kentucky and compared them to the US average, and picked a city at random that had no Speedways in it. Both had virtual straight lines. The cities with Speedways had lines that resemble EKG's.

What is the difference between the City (Phoenix) and Columbus and Lexington? Phoenix has no Speedways.

I am not the first to notice this phenomenon. Since Gas Buddy seems to be your site of choice, read the forum section. Many have talked about this phenomenon. Heck, someone started their own blog/website about it (The Gas Game.)
Two people have stated that they have observed the phenomenon on this thread (Old Mopar Guy while traveling through the area and Bear Z Defect, who lives in Lexington.)People like Bear Z and myself deal with it. I (and I am fairly sure that he has as well) know when to buy gas prior to the spikes.

I have proven in my graphs that there are spikes. That is the crux of what I have stated. The graphs show clear and pronounced spikes. Therefore, I have backed up what I have said.

If you don't like my conclusions, then school me as to why these spikes seem to occur in areas that have a large volume of Speedways in them. After all, 1) you represent yourself as the all knowing "expert" and 2) you seem to be the one that is all cranked about it.

If you have nothing constructive to add, stop the trolling and butt out. And BTW, to reuse your snark "Funny turnabout really irritates offenders."

Since you have not provided any data I assume you have nothing.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
You are totally unreal.

You have proven that you either did not read the rationale for the three choices, or you are just going to rant and make noise.

All this because I posted a link to The Gas Game. Know where I found that? From reading this site.

Using the site Gas Buddy, in which you claim is valid, I produced two graphs for two different markets, Columbus, Ohio and Lexington ,Kentucky and compared them to the US average, and picked a city at random that had no Speedways in it. Both had virtual straight lines. The cities with Speedways had lines that resemble EKG's.

What is the difference between the City (Phoenix) and Columbus and Lexington? Phoenix has no Speedways.

I am not the first to notice this phenomenon. Since Gas Buddy seems to be your site of choice, read the forum section. Many have talked about this phenomenon. Heck, someone started their own blog/website about it (The Gas Game.)
Two people have stated that they have observed the phenomenon on this thread (Old Mopar Guy while traveling through the area and Bear Z Defect, who lives in Lexington.)People like Bear Z and myself deal with it. I (and I am fairly sure that he has as well) know when to buy gas prior to the spikes.

I have proven in my graphs that there are spikes. That is the crux of what I have stated. The graphs show clear and pronounced spikes. Therefore, I have backed up what I have said.

If you don't like my conclusions, then school me as to why these spikes seem to occur in areas that have a large volume of Speedways in them. After all, 1) you represent yourself as the all knowing "expert" and 2) you seem to be the one that is all cranked about it.

If you have nothing constructive to add, stop the trolling and butt out. And BTW, to reuse your snark "Funny turnabout really irritates offenders."

Since you have not provided any data I assume you have nothing.

Troll, troll,troll your boat.
I said there were spikes. The graphs provided show those clearly.
Like I said, school me if my conclusions are in error. I'm willing to listen to viable theories or explanations. I'm all ears.
Like I thought, you have nothing to add but noise.

Since you have demonstrated the inability to research your position.

Gas Buddy Senior Petroleum Analyst Patrick Dehaan says competition between stations in the Great Lakes area leads to the continuing fluctuations.

“The markets are almost hyper competitive in these areas – gas stations continually undercut each other until they are both losing money and then one decides to raise prices very high to make up for that loss and then the other station matches – then they start going back and forth on prices going down,” he says.

Our analysis is the first, however, to detail when cycling started, mid-2000, and that it continues unabated. We find consumers are better off on average in cities after they began cycling. … This finding is consistent with the hypothesis that price cycling is a form of retail price war.”

http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/lower-gas-prices-predicted-for-2014/ncgQR/

Gregg Laskoski, senior petroleum analyst for GasBuddy.com, said gas prices in the region went up by 30 cents in a single day in 2013. In Fort Wayne, Ind., prices increased 34 cents in one day. Outside the region’s seven-state footprint, the largest one-day change was 14 cents, in Lubbock, Texas.

“You’re in a region where there’s more price volatility than anywhere in the country,” Laskoski said. “You see price jumps that are incredible. It’s created and perpetrated by the dominant retailers. They have huge spikes and come down. Once they hit the floor they go way up. It’s got to be extremely frustrating for consumers.”

Laskoski expects the trend to continue in the region. Last month, the U.S. average price for a gallon of gas floated within a 7-cent range. Cincinnati’s average price per gallon fluctuated by roughly 40 cents.

Jamal Kheiry, spokesman for Marathon Petroleum Corp., based in Findlay, said the price moves in the Midwest are influenced by many factors, including the price of crude oil.

“The retail gas market is extremely competitive,” he said. “You have different factors and costs and it could be any number of those factors.”

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/gas-price2.htm

"Another area where prices have far exceeded the U.S. national average is the Midwest. In 1999, before the rest of the country started using ethanol-blended gas, the Midwest region became subject to rules that required the use of ethanol. Few refineries outside the region produced this type of reformulated gasoline, which meant that demand could outstrip supply. This was one of many factors contributing to higher gas prices in the Midwest in the early 2000s. The problem cropped up again across the United States after the national call for ethanol-blended gas in the spring of 2007.

Crude oil inventories have the single biggest effect on gas prices, and the United States depends heavily on foreign oil supplies. In July 2008, the United States imported about 13 million barrels of oil and petroleum products per day [source: EIA]. We'll look at exactly where that crude oil comes from next."

All alternative explanations other than a single supplier is gouging gasoline prices.

Like I said, school me if my conclusions are in error. I'm willing to listen to viable theories or explanations. I'm all ears.

What relationship does this post have with gasoline price fluctuations in the Midwest?

Gee whiz, you actually have something to add to the discussion other than dissonance after all.

From your quote:

Gregg Laskoski, senior petroleum analyst for GasBuddy.com, said gas prices in the region went up by 30 cents in a single day in 2013. In Fort Wayne, Ind., prices increased 34 cents in one day. Outside the region’s seven-state footprint, the largest one-day change was 14 cents, in Lubbock, Texas.

“You’re in a region where there’s more price volatility than anywhere in the country,” Laskoski said. “You see price jumps that are incredible. It’s created and perpetrated by the dominant retailers. They have huge spikes and come down. Once they hit the floor they go way up. It’s got to be extremely frustrating for consumers.

According to Mr. Laskoski: "You see price jumps that are incredible. It is created and perpetuated by the dominant retailers."

He acknowledges that:

1) There are spikes (The phenomenon exists.)
2) That the dominant retailer(s) create and perpetuate it. In my area, that would be Speedway.

Sounds a lot like what I said. Thanks for playing.

P.S. Thanks for the validation also. Mr Laskowski and I seem to agree.

What relationship does this post have with gasoline price fluctuations in the Midwest?

It has nothing to do with price fluctuations. You need to have this statement explained to you?

It has nothing to do with price fluctuations. You need to have this statement explained to you?

Kettle pot black.

Gee whiz, you actually have something to add to the discussion other than dissonance after all.

From your quote:

“You’re in a region where there’s more price volatility than anywhere in the country,” Laskoski said. “You see price jumps that are incredible. It’s created and perpetrated by the dominant retailers. They have huge spikes and come down. Once they hit the floor they go way up. It’s got to be extremely frustrating for consumers.

According to Mr. Laskoski: "You see price jumps that are incredible. It is created and perpetuated by the dominant retailers."

He acknowledges that:

2) That the dominant retailer(s) create and perpetuate it. In my area, that would be Speedway.

This quote does support your claim that price fluctuations are due to Marathon. This fluctuation is throughout the Midwest region. You have to provide something to support your position. An biased blog against speedway is not creditable information.

From your quote:

He acknowledges that:

This quote does support your claim that price fluctuations are due to Marathon. This fluctuation is throughout the Midwest region. You have to provide something to support your position. An biased blog against speedway is not creditable information.

Good, glad we finally agree on something. However, IMO, the short term graphs that break down activity also show the phenomenon quite nicely.

From your quote:

He acknowledges that:

An biased blog against speedway is not creditable information.

I'll even partially agree with you on this. Note that I linked the page called "The Speedway Effect." This is actually a good easy to follow explanation of the phenomenon that includes information from Gas Buddy (and credits that source.) The rest of the blog is conjecture.

Well speedway is the symptom not the cause. I believe it will be more beneficial to find the cause.

That's the $64K question.

I heard somewhere (not sure who) that said that downstate Illinois is relatively stable in comparison to where I am at (Columbus, Ohio area.) I just went by a gas station where RUG is $3.28.9, and I would guess that there will probably be a 25-30 cent spike Weds night/Thursday morning that till take it over $3.50. If you look at the Columbus graph that I put up, you will see that this market is all over the space.

Totally agree that Gas Buddy is good to have. It really is the reason my Wife convinced me to get a smartphone.

$3.24.9 for RUG as we speak and Gas Buddy has issues a Price Hike Alert for $3.55 +/- ten cents. Looks like spike and hike may strike again. The pattern continues.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Speedway raised prices here by 36 cents today.

You just know that it is coming. The projection here is for 26 cents. Meijer has already taken the leap here , + 31 cents, going to $3.55.9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back