I wish Wix filters had a textured grip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Why would anyone want the textured grip? I have never seen a useful application for one on an oil filter. Just buy the proper tool to remove a filter and the textured grip is not needed.

Exactly!! When I first saw textured oil filters I laughed..OMG...

And how old are you?

I'm 70 years old and still change my own oil and filter. Believe my the textured grip surface makes a huge difference for my old arthritic fingers/hands.

^^^ The textured surface works well in my experience. No more hassles with installation and removal tools.

I hate the textured filters!
On the GM v6 cars I always used a cup style filter wrench with a ratchet and extension. The grip paint is too thick and the cap wrench's don't fit.
The strap wrench's work fine either way.
I don't really see the point of it, just makes it harder for those that actually use the proper tool for the job.

Why do you need a cup wrench for a filter with a textured finish?

Even my arthritic hands can handle putting a filter on and off with a textured finish.

I don't have a dog in this fight either way, because on the Audi there's an oil cooler/heater in the filter base and the filter is always far too hot to even think about removing it with just my hands, even after letting the thing cool while the sump is draining.

I've even tried gloves with the textured PVC coating on them and it's still too hot. I just use the old filter wrench that my grandfather left me. Works like a charm.

Back when they started doing the grip there were a lot more vehicles with filters out in the open where you never needed a wrench because 2 men and a small child could climb into the engine compartment. Filters used to not even have the flats for the socket either.

The grip is awesome on the ph8a on an old ford 300 inline 6 that spews oil every where.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Why would anyone want the textured grip? I have never seen a useful application for one on an oil filter. Just buy the proper tool to remove a filter and the textured grip is not needed.

Exactly!! When I first saw textured oil filters I laughed..OMG...

And how old are you?

I'm 70 years old and still change my own oil and filter. Believe my the textured grip surface makes a huge difference for my old arthritic fingers/hands.

I'm plenty old...try some latex gloves next time to give you some grip. Its helps if the oil filter isn't covered in oil

Wix would never give a "nod" to Fram in this regard so I'd not ever expect to see it.

I personally really like the Fram style. Did not like the PureOne it got all over the gasket and base plate but no more Puro's for me anyway.

I do find it very "handy" pun intended.

I'm plenty old...try some latex gloves next time to give you some grip. Its helps if the oil filter isn't covered in oil

With the textured surface I have no need for gloves of any type, furthermore I'm allergic to latex. I've yet in the last decade have a filter covered in oil. Further getting used oil on my hands is not an issue for me, any hazard has long sense passed.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Wix would never give a "nod" to Fram in this regard so I'd not ever expect to see it.

I personally really like the Fram style. Did not like the PureOne it got all over the gasket and base plate but no more Puro's for me anyway.

I do find it very "handy" pun intended.

Correct about the excess texture getting everywhere, I've used Wix & Purolator in the past, now OMG I'm using Fram Ultra. May switch to OEM in the future. But I do like the texture.

Odd isn't it we can get so worked up over a small amount of texture paint on a filter.

Today was my first filter change with a Fram filter. All I have to say is wow! If only I didn't put the filters on so tight.
27.gif

With the textured surface I have no need for gloves of any type, furthermore I'm allergic to latex. I've yet in the last decade have a filter covered in oil. Further getting used oil on my hands is not an issue for me, any hazard has long sense passed.

Bare hands on a metal filter I have found give a very good grip on its own

Blue if that's you,re preference fine.

But adding a texture obviously gives even a better gripping surface, something similar is done to many items, one that comes to mine is checkering on firearm grips and many knife handles.

You may find it unnecessary, I find it helpful. Win,win all the way around.

Why do you need a cup wrench for a filter with a textured finish?

Even my arthritic hands can handle putting a filter on and off with a textured finish.

Because not all cars have oil filters out in the open where you can get a good grip and leverage them on and off.
Also they don't always come off easy after a long change interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back