Hypothetical situation: Locktite on filter threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turn the filter off with that Harbor Freight wrench is what I would do.

-Locktite needs an oil-free surface to work
-The K&N "nut" couldn't stand that much torque...been there done that trying to get one off my bike. It will round off.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Originally Posted By: Richtrashman
Can you imagine a world with no hypothetical situations?

You mean hypothetically?
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Exactly! I knew someone would get it!
wink.gif

Its all about the dremel. First cut the can off, then with patience slowly cut your way through the threaded ring. Then you can split it in half.

Well, you put the lime in the coconut and shake it all up - I mean... lol.

Hypothetically, if all else failed, (if the car was on a lift) I would probably grab a massive sledge hammer and see if it couldn't be busted off. If that would wind up not only getting the filter off, but also the mounting threads (male piece) on the vehicle, one could always re-route a new filter mount.

Keep the engine cold - get the filter hot. Then do what you're gonna do. Heating the filter may buy you some expansion clearance.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
If we're in hypothetical land, I'd make sure that it is not you that is the moron, and are trying to remove the filter by unscrewing the wrong way.

Much more likely scenario than the above (especially if you're working upside down)

I hate to admit I`ve actually done that.............once

I kinda wanna call bullpuckey on this whole thing... Loctite on an oil filter? Really? And an impact gun would make mincemeat of the 'nut' on a K&N filter in about 0.68 seconds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back