Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nebroch
How has the winter been going with R2 tyres?

I just finished swapping old studded Xi2s to summer tyres, plenty of tread and studs left so have to wait a year before going R2
smile.gif

You're a Finn and you originally went with Miches instead of Hakkas, FOR SHAME!!
31.gif
lol.gif

Nokia's Hakka7 (studded) couldn't compete back then, there is a significant price premium and road noise/ride comfort is much smoother with Michelin. Just pragmatism
smile.gif

Last edited:
Nokia's Hakka7 (studded) couldn't compete back then, there is a significant price premium and road noise/ride comfort is much smoother with Michelin. Just pragmatism
smile.gif

I know/understand, and was just kidding/razzing you with that comment.
I should have made that MUCH more clear!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Semi related question: how does R2 SUV compare to Nordman 5 (non-studded)? I'm having a hard time deciphering Nokian's website. Is Nordman 5 inferior since they market it as a "budget-friendly" tire?

http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-nordman-5-suv/

The R2 is a "studless" friction tire, so of course, it is a different tire than the Nordman 5, which was designed to be studded, so its intentions for design is different from that of the studless friction tire.

You can see the Nordman 5 has less dense siping compared to the R2, as the Nordman 5 was designed to be optimized with studs. But like, the General Altimax Arctic (similar story), it should still be a capable winter tire without studs

The Nordman 5 is actually the Hakkapeliitta 5, which is a few generations old. It's onto to the Hakka 8 for next season.
http://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-hakkapeliitta-8-suv/

Last edited:
Thanks. So if I'm not planning on studding, then Hakka R2 is the better bet?

Unless you see only snow and very little ice / hardpack, yes, the R2 would be the better choice.

Thanks. So if I'm not planning on studding, then Hakka R2 is the better bet?

Yes, if you're willing to pay more money

Wasn't R2 just introduced last year?

Yep. R2 came out last year, the 8 was just a year behind for the US market (came out in Europe last year). So the R2 is still their current gen stuff.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Wasn't R2 just introduced last year?

Yep. R2 came out last year, the 8 was just a year behind for the US market (came out in Europe last year). So the R2 is still their current gen stuff.

Sorry, I thought it was out for a few years now, but just not yet too 'long in the tooth'.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: GenSan
SubLGT & Boardy: I recently visited two local Nokian tire dealers, one was a VW/Audi dealership and the other was a garage that specialized in Volvos. What I heard was disconcerting. The dealership had several defective manufacturer build swaps under warranty due to balancing issues on a handful of Touraregs and Q7s that were being outfitted with Hakka R2 SUVs and the owner of the Volvo garage reiterated the same thing for a customer of his who had an XC90 and was interested in the same Nokian winter tire.

This sucks. Has anyone bought the R2 recently? Are they still having these quality issues?

I'm going to need a set of 235/60/18 winter tires soon, and was really hoping to get the R2, but I don't want to deal with vibrations.

Quote:
I therefore decided I won't be purchasing the Hakka R2 SUV and will instead go with Yokohama's Ice Guard IG51V for my wife's 2013 Highlander Hybrid Limited in 17".

Did you end up buying these Yokos? How are they?

If not the R2, then I'm not really sure what to get in that size...

I've heard that some of their tires have too low of a bead tolerance and that's why they can be difficult to balance because they're not always seated properly sometimes they need be over pressured to make the beads seat properly

Did you end up buying these Yokos? How are they?

If not the R2, then I'm not really sure what to get in that size...

Michelin has it's Latitude series for SUVs which is probably good too, but I wouldn't be too worried to buy R2. If there's vibration, dealer will replace them.

but I wouldn't be too worried to buy R2. If there's vibration, dealer will replace them.

I know. It's just a hassle, depending on how many trips to the dealer it'll take to sort it out.

I put a set on my '95.5 AUDI S6 Avant last season & ran them about 5-6K mi. No vibration problem for me. I've used Nokian for 20 plus yrs. and every new design shows distinct improvement of the predecessor. The R2's are amazing!

Nebroch, is it already winter in Finland? It looks like TekM wants to be the first this year with winter tire tests. Too bad the new Blizzak WS80 was not in the test. The GoodyearUltraGrip Ice2 looks to be for sale only in the European market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back