Undercarriage protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a rubberized undercoating or an anti-corrosion creeping liquid work better for undercarriage protection during winter? Or, perhaps, both at once?

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Forget the Rubberized Undercoating, turns hard and holds moisture causing more rust and problems.

This^^^^^

oil based spray is the only thing that works

Last edited:
No experience but making an educated guess I'd say even worse than the undercoating.

For us in the States unable to get the dripless oil, bar & chain works to a certain extent.

Forget the Rubberized Undercoating, turns hard and holds moisture causing more rust and problems.

Agree 1000%

Been there, done that.

Carwell or FluidFilm.

I just had my Jeep done (3rd year) with Carwell and the owner did it this time. He said he has some FluidFilm but feels its too thick to flow into areas like Carwell does.

I snowplow and heard about a product called plowcoat sold in gallon paint cans at farm and fleet about 16 bucks and thin it out with xylene and put in a spray bottle works better than undercoating and doesn't dry out , works best out of everything I have tried
57.gif

No experience but making an educated guess I'd say even worse than the undercoating.

For us in the States unable to get the dripless oil, bar & chain works to a certain extent.

I have used Bar and Chain oil mixed with hot melted paraffin wax, it works quite well.

So does wire rope lube where durability is more important.

We don't have a Krownwhere dealer near here, or I would use it.

Originally Posted By: Bumble_guy
I snowplow and heard about a product called plowcoat sold in gallon paint cans at farm and fleet about 16 bucks and thin it out with xylene and put in a spray bottle works better than undercoating and doesn't dry out , works best out of everything I have tried
57.gif

What have you tried?

Thanks for all the suggestions for fluid.

Has anyone tried ACF-50? Apparently this fluid is highly recommended in the aerospace and motorcycle industries.

Originally Posted By: cookiemonster
Thanks for all the suggestions for fluid.

Has anyone tried ACF-50? Apparently this fluid is highly recommended in the aerospace and motorcycle industries.

No knowledge, but then I've yet to see a motorcycle rust out.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Carwell or FluidFilm.

I just had my Jeep done (3rd year) with Carwell and the owner did it this time. He said he has some FluidFilm but feels its too thick to flow into areas like Carwell does.

Generally you use a thin oil in doors and hoods, and trunks. Anywhere it needs to flow into crevasses. A thicker product is needed for the frame and undercarriage so it doesn't wash away easily.

This picture was taken today when I replace my o2 sensor on my Explorer. I accidentally scraped the frame with a tool I was using. You can see bare steel under the undercoating even after 14 Canadian salt filled winters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Donald
Carwell or FluidFilm.

Generally you use a thin oil in doors and hoods, and trunks. Anywhere it needs to flow into crevasses. A thicker product is needed for the frame and undercarriage so it doesn't wash away easily.

This is what Rust Check does.

Bar and chain oil is the best you can get and is fine for some applications. It has a tackifier so its easy to spray on. A bit too thin for undercarriage, but better than nothing, You don't need a fancy expensive product for this job. You just need a barrier between the steel and the environment

I use paraffin wax heated up until it melts. Then you add diesel fuel and non detergent motor oil. Look it up i think its called waxoil. Their are some recipes that people use. Its popular with the old land rover crowd.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
I use paraffin wax heated up until it melts. Then you add diesel fuel and non detergent motor oil. Look it up i think its called waxoil. Their are some recipes that people use. Its popular with the old land rover crowd.

Waxoil is a British invented product. Not great but its better than nothing. All waxoil dealers in Canada have gone out of business as far as i know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back