Truck Double Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moving2
Originally Posted By: grampi
All true, but in the example I gave where everyone who owns a pickup started driving a compact car, it would literally take the oil industry years to figure out what to do with all of the excess production, and in the meantime, prices would have to go down...

The example you gave is not practical unless you have data showing what percentage of pickup owners "really need" a pickup, what percentage use them to haul their families around, etc. Just because you're not driving a pickup doesn't mean you can drive a compact car instead- many buyers will need a people mover like a minivan (not great gas mileage), or want a large car or even a sports car or an SUV. The fact you are picking on trucks (and not large cars, sports cars, minivans, etc.) only shows your bias here.

Okay, how about any vehicle that gets less than 20 MPG? Don't get wound up too tight, my example was purely a hypothetical situation that will obviously never happen...just trying to make a point...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
brabus-mercedes-benz-b63s-6x6.jpg

This will fly here like a lead balloon, a $600k+ truck.

I'm really not into trucks, but if I had the money I would buy it just so I could watch the eco-weenies stroke out.

I'm pretty sure AMG or Brabus makes a V12 version that runs on the tears of starving children, and crying hippies.

On a serious note they had to add a second fuel tank because it just inhales fuel, you could probably burn off the 40 gallons it holds in an hour having fun or less. I'm sure the V12 gets .05mpg- 5 maybe 6?

Its pretty much the civilian equivalent of the King Tiger...

Last edited:
I've never quite understood the whole pickup truck/SUV criticism. There are a multitude of reasons why someone makes the choices they make. If someone wants to buy a massive 3/4 ton, double cab truck for a grocery go-getter, why does it matter? Same with a Porsche, etc.
If they can afford it, more power to you.

But the fuel efficiency argument never held much water. Yes, trucks/SUVs are gas guzzlers. I think car companies should be doing everything they can to improve fuel efficiency. But it is a little annoying when people fly off the handle about trucks being bad for the environment when I think we're distracted from bigger issues. I'd say the vast majority of factories and powerplants dump far more pollutants into the air in a week then an entire neighborhood of 10mpg pickups could in their entire lifetimes. Yes, I realize that, to an extent, that is comparing apples to oranges. But having such a major focus on driving a 12mpg vehicle vs. a 35 mpg vehicle is a misdirection.

I used to drive a 2002 Subaru Outback wagon. Great car. But I have always loved SUVs and pickups. I now drive a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I love it more than any other car I've had. I don't tow anything, but I want 4WD and cargo space for when I need it. And I use the 4WD a lot in the winter here in MN. (And I wanted something different than another Subaru.)

But I'd also buy an old pickup before I'd buy a car again. I don't think it's much of an ego thing, because at the most it would be an F150-sized truck, and no newer than 1999 or 2000. I have no need for a massive vehicle. But I enjoy driving a truck more than a car. Brings back childhood memories, for one.

Btw, couldn't the same stereotypes be made for Harley riders vs. crotchrockets?

What's with the orange interior?

I have to chuckle a little. There are 2 different threads about the Dodge Hellcat, and I haven't seen a single negative post about the car. A 700 hp car, and nothing is said about it being wasteful.

Originally Posted By: whip
I have to chuckle a little. There are 2 different threads about the Dodge Hellcat, and I haven't seen a single negative post about the car. A 700 hp car, and nothing is said about it being wasteful.

I imagine the hellcat still gets decent mileage though. I suppose some people commute in a high performance car, but on my way in to work in the morning, I sometimes see a 911 turbo, and a few mustangs. Well over half the vehicles are SUV's and pickups hauling a single schmuck, just like my car...
I don't care what people drive anyways, as long as they pay attention and don't mash me in my tin cans.

There are a lot more (and always will be) needlessly bought pickup trucks than hellcat dodge.

Hummer-Towing-F40-600x401.jpg

Originally Posted By: strat81

What's with the orange interior?

On a custom vehicle whatever the buyer wants, the buyer gets. Hence orange.

It was because of bellyaching by John Q. Public about how bad these gas guzzling pickups are, that got our license plate renewals priced thru the roof for them. License fees went up 400%. I suppose one could argue that those of us should get something a little more efficient and get a lower license plate fee accordingly, but I would like to know of a high mpg car that can get thru 4 miles of gravel road in a winter snow storm and then 11 miles to town. The County will not even attempt to clear the gravel roads for a couple of days after the storm has passed. People out here in fly over country still need to get places. So to that end, we buy 4x4 pickups. Kinda hard to haul a drum of oil, some hay, some fence posts, etc, all off road in muddy fields with a Prius or a Civic. And the same pickup that does all of that also is the grocery getter when we go to town.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
It was because of bellyaching by John Q. Public about how bad these gas guzzling pickups are, that got our license plate renewals priced thru the roof for them. License fees went up 400%. I suppose one could argue that those of us should get something a little more efficient and get a lower license plate fee accordingly, but I would like to know of a high mpg car that can get thru 4 miles of gravel road in a winter snow storm and then 11 miles to town. The County will not even attempt to clear the gravel roads for a couple of days after the storm has passed. People out here in fly over country still need to get places. So to that end, we buy 4x4 pickups. Kinda hard to haul a drum of oil, some hay, some fence posts, etc, all off road in muddy fields with a Prius or a Civic. And the same pickup that does all of that also is the grocery getter when we go to town.

There are plenty of fuel efficient vehicles that'll go anywhere a gas guzzler 4 X 4 will go....Subaru comes to mind just for one...

I don't care what anyone drives. If someone wants to commute in a Peterbilt let them.

Personally, I enjoy driving both the truck and car. For different reasons.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Pablum. Howzabout YOU try getting down an unpaved road covered with a foot of snow in a Forester!

How often do you get a foot of snow at a time? Once a winter, if that? I'd be willing to bet that you could count the number of times it snows too much to be able to get around in Forester on one hand over the course of a decade...

Last edited:
Pablum. Howzabout YOU try getting down an unpaved road covered with a foot of snow in a Forester!

How often do you get a foot of snow at a time? 2, maybe 3 times a winter, if that?

Then what are the options those 2-3 days? I prefer not to be snowed in. Nothing wrong with having a 4x4 that can get you where you need to go in the winter. Granted my Jeep is in 2wd more often than not, but like I said I prefer to be able to go somewhere if I really have to.

*Have you ever been on north to sound country road on a windy day while snow is on the ground?

Last edited:
A foot of fresh snow isn't an issue with anything with AWD/4WD with snow tires. Heck even the Neon went in fresh snow deep enough to blow over the hood so you are speed limited by visibility, not traction.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

How often do you get a foot of snow at a time? 2, maybe 3 times a winter, if that?

Then what are the options those 2-3 days? I prefer not to be snowed in. Nothing wrong with having a 4x4 that can get you where you need to go in the winter. Granted my Jeep is in 2wd more often than not, but like I said I prefer to be able to go somewhere if I really have to.

*Have you ever been on north to sound country road on a windy day while snow is on the ground?

No, but I've been snowed in and it's not that big a deal...I'm not wasting money on a giant gas hog that's actually only needed 2 or 3 days a year...I can stay home those 3 days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back