Hypothetical situation: Locktite on filter threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to change your oil filter, but the filter won't budge. You find out they used Loctite 2620 Ultra High Temperature, High Strength Red Threadlocker on the threads!

You also find out the filter is a K&N (with that nut on the end)and the person installed it with a 250 ft/lb impact gun.

Then you realize that guy is a moron!

What would you do?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
You need to change your oil filter, but the filter won't budge. You find out they used Loctite 2620 Ultra High Temperature, High Strength Red Threadlocker on the threads!

You also find out the filter is a K&N (with that nut on the end)and the person installed it with a 250 ft/lb impact gun.

Then you realize that guy is a moron!

What would you do?

10 foot pipe on 3/4 breaker bar car on a lift.. LOL or find someone with a much stronger impact..

I'd get my big grips on there and twist. If I don't break the threadlock The threaded nipple in the oil filter adaptor will come out with the filter and I can replace the nipple.

I've never heard of using locktight in the thread of a spin-on oil filter to stop it from backing off.
haslet At the track it is not an uncommon problem to come a bit lose and then blow the rubber gasket with disastrous results. Many, myself included safety wire it in place using a hose claim around the body of the filter.

Anyway your question is how to get the filter off.
Presumably it's to tight to loosen without buckeling the can.
You nay have to destroy the can to remove it which I have done in the past by driving a screwdriver through it to get extra leverage.
What have you tried so far?

It depends on how the access is, but...

I would start by trying to bang it off with an impact... once that failed (rounds nut off or rips it off of the can)

I would try some sort of large plier/vice grip/channel lock/oil filter wrench... once that failed I'd cut the can off the tapping plate and apply heat to the tapping plate to release the lock tite and either fabricate a spanner or try to spin the tapping plate off with a hammer and punch...

After that.... ?

Question: Why did you do that?
grin.gif

I'd use my Snap-on S831 ratchet with a socket to rip the welded nut off the filter and then I'd use my Lisle 63600 filter wrench to get the filter off.

torque the filter til it gives, if not loose tear the rest off then hit the center with a propane torch for a while and then while hot a screwdriver and hammer. Then move up to the acetylene torch.

Oil filters properly installed simply don't come loose in service.
Why would anyone have done this?

If we're in hypothetical land, I'd make sure that it is not you that is the moron, and are trying to remove the filter by unscrewing the wrong way.

Much more likely scenario than the above (especially if you're working upside down)

Last edited:
Some people stick a screwdriver straight through the filter, then use that screwdriver as a handle to help remove the filter.

But I don't know if that could save you if someone used loctite and an insane amount of torque.

Also, the nut on a K&N oil filter isn't exactly solid, it is a steel stamping welded on. I'm not sure how much torque you could apply before tearing the nut off the filter.

Assuming that the moron is actually another person who works for an automotive shop, make the shop worry about it. Or document it and head to small claims court.

If the moron is not someone else, I like the idea of the long lever bar if you have the room.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Assuming that the moron is actually another person who works for an automotive shop, make the shop worry about it.

Yes, but I have a different idea.

What if the car belonged to someone who called himself a tuner or hot rodder, but doesn't know that much about cars?

Now imagine, you bought a car directly from the owner. Now what?

Now here is another explaination: What happens when someone does a DIY oil change this way, THEN hires a repair shop to correct their error?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back