New CRV, but free oil changes at dealership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed with those who warned you of upcharges. The dealer will obviously try to warn you about other services you need whenever you get the oil changed. They'll try to sell you on the convenience of, "well it only takes an extra half-hour."

In many ways, certified pre-owned and manufacturer-backed extended warranties are similar. You have to follow their strict service guidelines, which they already make a nice margin on. In some ways, my BMW Extended Vehicle Protection is a waste of money...because in order to claim on it, you have to adhere to their requirements of getting in serviced by BMW with full documentation. Oil changes at the dealer are not cheap. Still, it's peace-of-mind knowing that I'm well-protected in case my $20k engine or $12k transmission grenades.

You could get the free oil change, and then come home and do a quick drain and refill with your oil, use the dealership oil in your 06 honda.

Last edited:
Get ready for the sales pitch at every oil change.

Oil changes cost them nothing.

They want you to buy cars and more stuff that you do not need.

They want you in there looking at new cars every few months.

I wouldn't worry about the quality of the oil, its fine.

If you don't think its fine, then run a UOA from what they changed the oil with.

I would go with it, but I would also let the service folks know that you are watching them carefully.

Whoever mentioned to be especially carefully and observant once the factory warranty expires hit the nail on the head! That is the time that they would likely try and screw you on repairs that are not needed, or I hate to say this but I have experienced cases where I am certain that the $tealership actually damaged things so they could get to "fix them". Beware. You seem to trust this
store, but things always change.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
You could get the free oil change, and then come home and do a quick drain and refill with your oil, use the dealership oil in your 06 honda.

Mobil 2!

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I noticed that some dealers have maintenance schedules that are different (more aggressive) than the owner's manual schedule. Which one does yours require?

Have you inquired about the cost to have the dealer follow the maintenance schedule? Tire rotations, air filter changes, windshield wipers, etc.?? If you are a diyer, then the oil change savings might be consumed by these other simple maintenance items.

Yes, check the details. At worst, you could get a few free oil changes until they start wanting to charge outlandish fees for simple maintenance items.

Best of luck.

+1. Hopefully this is clearly stated. If not, Id find a lame excuse the first time they try to upcharge, then directly email Honda, ask if x service is prudent because it doesnt show up in the manual, and then take that back to the dealer.

document, document, document.

They are also betting upon the fact that nothing will be needed. Hopefully still valid given DI.

Vikas....Roger that. Free tire rotation for the first year, going to take advantage of that. But things like cabin filters, air filters, etc. etc. I'll still be doing myself.
dparm.....kind of exactly why I got that extended warranty, for that reason alone. I was overwhelmed by just how much electronics are on this car. I paid....don't kill me here..
27.gif
.....1400 for the extended, 5 year, 125K miles warranty. Well, honestly, the wife was more inclined to get it than I. this is her car. She told me later she felt better that she had that blanket protection because she averages about 21K a year. You know the saying.....happy wife equals......well, you know.

How much did they knock off the MSRP? Your "deal that you could not pass up" is sounding more and more like you got taken for a ride.

While it is none of our business (really), I'm starting to wonder if the "excellent" trade-in value was offset by other factors.

Now you add that you paid $1,400 for a 5 year, 125K extended warranty? The drive train already has a 5 year warranty, so you basically paid for 2 more years of warranty over the 3/36 bumper to bumper coverage. The CRV does not have a reputation as a high risk vehicle regarding quality and repairs.

walked out of there with a brand new car, paid off the older crv and got an extended 5 year warranty for less than 18.5K....you tell me. Also, factory is 3 Year/36,000-Mile New-Vehicle Limited Warranty and 5-Year/60,000-Mile Limited Powertrain Warranty. We'll smoke that mileage way before the time expires. Is there some overlap....sure....I knew that. That extended warranty originally was only up to 100K, I told them that we normally trade in at 4-5 years, but they would have to raise the 100K to 125K for me to even think about it and drop the price down substantially. They bit. 5 years at 25K per year puts it about where I wanted it. Plus, the extended warranty is transferable....when I do sell this one, I'll probably not trade it but sell it privately and hopefully still have some of that warranty left over and can use it as an incentive to the next buyer.

You owe us no explanations and I apologize for heading this off your original question regarding the free oil changes. The CRV is a safe and excellent vehicle and will serve your wife well.

Dealers are not known to give excellent trade in values and often times they mask a "good" trade in value by manipulating other factors. We cannot access your deal because we don't know all the details (model/trim level, etc.). And, again, let's not go there because it's none of our business.

Congrats on a great vehicle. It was my choice of vehicle spring of 2013, but I just couldn't whittle them down on the price after extensive attempts. The free oil change deal might work out well. Oil/filter brand should not even be a factor since you don't run your vehicle out to very high mileage/years. You seem to know what to look out for if they attempt to hoodwink you.

Take care.

It's cool. I value all ya'lls input and not afraid to tell how much I paid or what kind of deal it was. Hopefully others can learn as well. It's the EX-L with Navi.

I haven't popped the hood on my moms old Rav4 in a couple of years, free dealer oil changes for life. Her next Toyota will be the same thing.

If your board and want something to worry about go buy a late 80's XJS V12, but a modern Japanese car can pretty much have the hood welded shut for the first 100k.

Last edited:
I am getting a bit older in the body even if my mind sometimes thinks I'm a young pup, but I still won't allow anybody dealing with my drain plugs or lug nuts=too many that do this mostest important work are entry kids thinking of anything but the job at hand!

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
walked out of there with a brand new car, paid off the older crv and got an extended 5 year warranty for less than 18.5K....you tell me.

So I've had to extrapolate a little bit so these numbers aren't exact, just back of the napkin stuff. I am assuming that both cars were 2WD. If either is 4WD then my numbers will be off.

The AVERAGE trade value for a 2010 CRV EX-L with 112k miles is: $10405

The INVOICE price for a 2014 CRV EX-L w/Navi is: $28674

$10405 (trade) -
$28674 (invoice)
--------------------
$18269

You got the extended warranty included in the cost. So you basically bought the new vehicle at invoice price with a "free" extended warranty. I would say this was an OK deal but given that it's the end of the month and that the CRV is due for a refresh next year, I would have hit them for another 1200-1400. The fact that they were already very aggressive with their offer tells me they had a lot of room on the table to move a car.

You still did pretty well. Anytime someone can get a car at invoice price or less, you're doing better than 95% of the buying public. But in my opinion, it wasn't a smoking deal, just a desperate dealer looking to move one more car. Enjoy the new ride and you are correct, a happy wife is worth something too.
wink.gif

I still owed 2300 to Honda Finance for the 2010 CRV......10,500 for the 2010 at trade in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back