Best most afordable oil filter for my Prius?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to buy a case of oil filters this week. I wanted to get some input. Right now I'm looking at factory Toyota, or Wix filters as they are about the same price. Your thoughts on these, or others for a high mileage Prius?

Not sure what Generation Prius you own, and if there is an oversize filter available...

But my choice would be the same, a Purolator PureOne (yellow color)...

Either from Advanced Auto when you can get the 40-50% off coupon, or Blains Farm and Fleet, Free Shipping with $75.
Blains also has the Purolator Synthetic (blue color).

Not the best filter, not the cheapest, but the best bang for the buck filter...

Last edited:
mattwithcats said:
Not sure what Generation Prius you own, and if there is an oversize filter available...

But my choice would be the same, a Purolator PureOne (yellow color)...

Either from Advanced Auto when you can get the 40-50% off coupon, or Blains Farm and Fleet, Free Shipping with $75.
Blains also has the Purolator Synthetic (blue color).

Not the best filter, not the cheapest, but the best bang for the buck filter... [/quot

Its a gen 2 2005 with 132,000 miles. I have a walmart purolator classic on right now. It's only had Toyota filters from the dealer before that.

its a used state car so god only knows what the intervals were. My plan is to go 4-5K on dino oil.

Rockauto.com has Denso oil filters that'll fit for $2.86 ea. #1501000 - 2005 Prius
Can't go wrong with a Wix - The Denso 1501000 fits my 2013 1.5L 4 Banger Yaris as well as the Baldwin B-33's that I use, so they should fit your Prius also.

Baldwin might be an option too. Found the B33's for $5.50 shipped. Would that be a step up in quality?

What are the specs on those filters? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rebadged Wix or made to spec internals? I like base end bypass Wix.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Denso, Hastings/Baldwin, Napa ProSelect/Carquest Red/O'Reilly Microgard.

I forgot to mention that SuperTech filters are also pretty decent.

Are SuperTech oil filters still available? I thought those were only sold through Walmart, and were discontinued a while ago.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, if you go to sparkplugs.com you can get DENSO oil filters for your car pretty cheap, Denso makes the OEM toyota filters, so that is why I would use if your trying to save a few bucks? Order a case will last you years.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Looks like for a Gen 2 Prius
you can go double oversize
Fram 3600 or Purolator 20195...

Doesn't a bigger filter add more stress to your oil pump?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Are SuperTech oil filters still available? I thought those were only sold through Walmart, and were discontinued a while ago.

No clue, I haven't been to Walmart in years, but I used to use those filters and they worked fine. That would be a bummer if they were discontinued, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

No clue, I haven't been to Walmart in years, but I used to use those filters and they worked fine. That would be a bummer if they were discontinued, but I wouldn't doubt it.

SuperTech are long gone. Used them in my Geo Metro for 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back