Get a load of the Elio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can it turn?

I'm looking at that thing and thinking the rear suspension's got to be pretty complex and highly dependent on the condition of rubber bushings that few people will bother checking and replacing if it's going to be able to corner.

How about when you're stopped at a 'T' intersection? Is that thing going to be able to get going or is it going to be a situation where the driver's only option is to listen to one tire spinning while praying that the guy he cuts off is quick on the brake?

It interests me , looks fun. But i have to wonder what happens if you are rearended. Especially if its not straight on. I imagine it spinning around.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Regarding the motorcycle versus car issue the bigger issue is requiring drivers to wear a helmet in those states that have helmet laws which is why they plan to get this certified as a car.

This is my biggest concern. Unless they can get it certified as a car it will be worthless in VA.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Can it turn?

I'm looking at that thing and thinking the rear suspension's got to be pretty complex and highly dependent on the condition of rubber bushings that few people will bother checking and replacing if it's going to be able to corner.

How about when you're stopped at a 'T' intersection? Is that thing going to be able to get going or is it going to be a situation where the driver's only option is to listen to one tire spinning while praying that the guy he cuts off is quick on the brake?

It's front engine, front wheel drive so I don't think traction is going to be an issue.

To further my case that they will not meet their price target:

tango-spt11.jpg

Made in Uruguay. 200cc single cylinder. Cost? $6800.

There is no way it can meet the target price given the content of the vehicle and country of origin.

If they do manage it, they will be sold out for years!

I hope it works out for Elio, its too bad the Aptera died as it would've broken the 3 wheel stigma for the Elio.
I'm sure someday cars like these will be common, but maybe gas isn't quite expensive enough now to have them take off.

Don't be such negative nellies...I think these things are gonna sell like hotcakes! Over 29K people have already put a deposit on one...

Last edited:
Like i said before , they interest me, but the delivery date keeps changing. I am also curious to see if they can meet the pricepoint.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Don't be such negative nellies...I think these things are gonna sell like hotcakes! Over 29K people have already put a deposit on one...

Yeah...didn't a bunch of people put deposits on the Dale?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Yeah...didn't a bunch of people put deposits on the Dale?

So what? Didn't all of the auto manufacturers start from nothing at one time?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Like i said before , they interest me, but the delivery date keeps changing. I am also curious to see if they can meet the pricepoint.

There's nothing wrong with being cautious about a new company. I'm curious about these things also, but they don't indicate some kind of scam or that the company won't be a success, and neither do the failures of other companies with similar products...I'm giving them a chance until there's reason to believe otherwise...

Originally Posted By: spasm3

There's nothing wrong with being cautious about a new company. I'm curious about these things also, but they don't indicate some kind of scam or that the company won't be a success, and neither do the failures of other companies with similar products...I'm giving them a chance until there's reason to believe otherwise...

I don't disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back