Leaking power steering pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Noey
Greg, it;s hard to tell which part in your snappy you're referring to, could you draw an arrow or something?

P/S fluid doesn't typically require a change, it's not actually lubricating much, it's used primarily as a hydraulic fluid, it's the pressure within the system that's used to assist steering effort. If you;ve gone thru the trouble of changing it, two things arise: First, what type of fluid are you using? and 2) are you tightning the cap sufficiently?

Wipe the entire area down thoroughly, spray some brake parts cleaner on everything and wipe it all dry so you have a spotless area, and drive the car for awhile and see what gets wet. If it's the P/S, you'll also note a drop in fluid in the reservoir.

An A/C compressor can leak oil (there's oil in there), and the way we usually prevent that is to always run the a/c at least once a month, regardless of weather, so it circulates and lubricates the seals. If you're not doing this, start. Typically, when an a/c compressor gives up the ghost, it's replaced. If the system blows cold, you're OK.

Thanks for the feedback, yes I have been taught that and Yes I do run it even in the winter to prevent the seals from drying up. And yes thankfully it still blows cold. My main question is, if it is leaking oil/freon (which I am 90% sure it is) and its still blowing cold, what can I do to fix it before damage occurs. I dont want to wait until too much oil runs out then it really breaks on me. I do not have the money to replace it if it goes, so I want to fix it while its a "small" problem if possible.

I believe it's just a replace or nothing. I highly doubt it'll just stop working. If it runs low on freon you can just buy a recharge kit, they're cheap. I had a truck that I just recharged the A/C every summer, was a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing parts.

The only way to add more oil or refrigerant is after completely evacuating the system and then adding the measured amount of refrigerant and oil.

At this stage you can not do anything but just monitor the leak. I understand that you are worried but there is nothing that you can do proactively. Even if there is a slight leak, it will be probably years before you will need to do anything, including adding refrigerant and oil.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The only way to add more oil or refrigerant is after completely evacuating the system and then adding the measured amount of refrigerant and oil.

At this stage you can not do anything but just monitor the leak. I understand that you are worried but there is nothing that you can do proactively. Even if there is a slight leak, it will be probably years before you will need to do anything, including adding refrigerant and oil.

Why would you need to evacuate the system to add refrigerant? They sell it on the shelf at the auto parts store. I've always just topped off and it works great

This is making me feel somewhat better...so running it low on freon/oil shouldnt hurt it? And all I have to do is have it recharged once in a while? To be honest I didnt/dont fully know what a recharge of the AC system is. Is it just a cleaning out and topping off of fluids? Thanks so much guys you really are a help!

The reason you need to evacuate before is to make sure there is exact amount. It is very bad if you add too much refrigerant in system.

If you find that AC is NOT cool enough, take it to a reputable AC shop.

Last edited:
The reason you need to evacuate before is to make sure there is exact amount. It is very bad if you add too much refrigerant in system.

If you find that AC is NOT cool enough, take it to a reputable AC shop.

Well, as of now I am going to take it to my local shop to see what there thoughts are. Praying its nothing serious!

And if so, how much does the dealer usually charge for this?

C'mon, do it yourself. It's only two lines, a wiring harness connector, and the mounting bolts. The first thing you do it take off the accessory drive belt, then you disconnect that wiring harness connector from the pump. Next up disconnect the pressure line and the return line. Now all you do is unbolt the pump from its bracket. Install the new pump and go in reverse order.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

C'mon, do it yourself. It's only two lines, a wiring harness connector, and the mounting bolts. The first thing you do it take off the accessory drive belt, then you disconnect that wiring harness connector. Next up disconnect the pressure line and the return line. Now all you do is unbolt the pump from its bracket. Install the new pump and go in reverse order.

I wish Merk, I am not mechanically inclined at all. Anybody recently have the AC compressor replaced, and if so...labor and all how much?

I wish Merk, I am not mechanically inclined at all. Anybody recently have the AC compressor replaced, and if so...labor and all how much?

If it's the A/C compressor, it comes off the same way the power steering pump does. The only difference is you gotta add some compressor oil to the new pump before you bolt it on to the bracket - usually about 3 or 4 ounces.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

C'mon, do it yourself. It's only two lines, a wiring harness connector, and the mounting bolts. The first thing you do it take off the accessory drive belt, then you disconnect that wiring harness connector from the pump. Next up disconnect the pressure line and the return line. Now all you do is unbolt the pump from its bracket. Install the new pump and go in reverse order.

I agree. A/C compressors are a piece of cake.

I bet even engineer20 could do it, Lol

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I agree. A/C compressors are a piece of cake.

I bet even engineer20 could do it, Lol

NNNNNNNNNNNOooooooooooooooooooooooooo..............that's too sad to be funny...but it's an icon in the making!

Last edited:
OK, I give up. I used to think I had the most sarcastic streak here but you guys have me completely beat by suggesting that OP can replace the compressor himself.

OP:- Those guys are messing with you. Usually, I am part of them but this time I am giving you real advice!

OK, I give up. I used to think I had the most sarcastic streak here but you guys have me completely beat by suggesting that OP can replace the compressor himself.

OP:- Those guys are messing with you. Usually, I am part of them but this time I am giving you real advice!

Appreciate it.

Um, I'm really not messing with him. Mounting bolts, electrical connector, 2 hoses, put oil in it, can evacuate system if you get a vacuum pump, and recharge yourself.

The hardest part that would depend on car to car is wherever the location of it is. That would potentially be the hardest part if it's a tight squeeze.

Well, OP has similar ability as myself (aka not much) and I know I would not even try to replace the compressor. I thought he made it pretty clear about that.

And yes, you have to extract the freon and you have to evacuate the system. I do not believe he has those tools.

Besides, his air-conditioning is working. Would *you* replace your compressor if it was still working? He is just OCD and is worrying about nothing.

Last edited:
Well, OP has similar ability as myself (aka not much) and I know I would not even try to replace the compressor. I thought he made it pretty clear about that.

And yes, you have to extract the freon and you have to evacuate the system. I do not believe he has those tools.

Besides, his air-conditioning is working. Would *you* replace your compressor if it was still working? He is just OCD and is worrying about nothing.

OCD, yes. Worried about nothing, maybe not. If YOU saw oil/freon leaking from your AC compressor I would like to think you would be concerned as well. I am planning on going to my mechanic tomorrow in the morning. Ill keep you all posted. Thanks for the help.

Ok guys, it needs a new compressor. They said just keep using it until it gives out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back