Beware of Chinese Craftsman wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going WAY, WAY back to the OP getting a burr from a Chinese wrench, I remember I once got a nick from a coke can, something about the flip top getting me. Wonder if that was a Chinese junk aluminum can?

Originally Posted By: Trav
I see you didn't bother to go to the second link where they are about $37.

Ya, but how much is shipping from the father land.

Originally Posted By: hatt
30 year old MIT stuff is probably far superior to later USA production Craftsman.

What in heavens name would make you think that?

How bout todays MIT?

Ya'll can conjecture until the cows come home, I enjoy harbor freight for what it is, and craftsman too. Do I care about days gone by where americans built hand tools? No, I care about doing a job (a hobby fortunately). Now back to your scheduled mindless debate.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Do I care about days gone by where americans built hand tools?

Some of us do.

And some of us have fought the good fight for years and years, only to watch things continue to go down hill.

As I said, I've had this same discussion before, never reaching an understanding on either side. Everyone do as they wish, none of us are going to save our economy by ourselves and it highly unlikely enough will band together to save it either.

It is what it is, get over it.

Listen; do you need approval from Trav or JHRZ or Vikas to purchase that Snap On or HFT wrench? No you don't. There is no need to justify your decision to them.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
And some of us have fought the good fight for years and years, only to watch things continue to go down hill.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/busi...-to-us/2070327/

Originally Posted By: USA Today
In 2011, British-based Rolls-Royce began making engine parts here in Virginia and shipping them to Europe and Asia to be assembled in jet engine factories. That same year, Siemens, a German company, started making power-plant turbines in Charlotte, N.C., most of which it's shipping to Saudi Arabia and Mexico.

From 2007 through 2012, foreign investment in U.S. manufacturing totaled $493 billion

Foreign manufacturers pay U.S. employees 14% more than the industry average, OFII figures show.

Rolls-Royce decided to build a new factory in Virginia to make jet engine discs and ship them across the Atlantic rather than expand similar plants in the U.K.

Boeing began making 787 Dreamliners in Charleston, S.C., in 2011 and Airbus is building its first U.S. assembly plant in Mobile, Ala.

Rolls-Royce is planning two more factories on the Prince George County site.

Rolls-Royce is working with local community colleges to establish a steady pipeline of manufacturing workers.

Siemens began cranking out gas turbines at a plant in Charlotte and added 800 employees

Europe's Airbus is building a $600 million assembly plant in Mobile, in part because North American airlines find the Made-in-the-USA label "particularly attractive," says Alan Allan McArtor, chairman of Airbus Americas.

Politics are also at work for Airbus as it builds a $600 million facility that will open in 2015 and employ up to 1,000 workers to assemble the company's popular A-320 family of passenger airliners.

BASF, which has invested about $5.7 billion in North America since 2009. It's building a plant in Geismar, La., that will convert natural gas to make formic acid, used in pharmaceuticals, leather and cleaning products.

BASF Chief Financial Officer Fried-Walter Münstermann says the company will likely continue to locate plants in the U.S. because BASF customers that make finished products are also moving here to exploit cheap natural gas. Europe and other regions "with high energy prices are at a disadvantage," he says.

Bridgestone, a Japanese tire maker, to choose Aiken, S.C., that year as the place to build new manufacturing capacity for tires sold in North America. The new and expanded plants in Aiken will cost $1.2 billion and employ 850 workers.

Michelin recently expanded an Earthmover tire plant in Lexington, S.C., and is building a similar facility in Anderson, S.C., spending $750 million and adding 500 workers. About 80% of the 12-foot-tall industrial tires are exported.

Which would you rather do? Stamp cheap hand tools, or build jet engines? If we slammed the door on allowing US businesses to invest in other countries how likely is it that foreign governments would allow their local companies to invest in the US?

This door swings both ways. You can't be angry that the ratchet you purchased was made in China but be okay with the hundreds of millions of foreign dollars being invested in the US aerospace business.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

Which would you rather do? Stamp cheap hand tools, or build jet engines? If we slammed the door on allowing US businesses to invest in other countries how likely is it that foreign governments would allow their local companies to invest in the US?

This door swings both ways. You can't be angry that the ratchet you purchased was made in China but be okay with the hundreds of millions of foreign dollars being invested in the US aerospace business.

But our imports far exceed our exports.

If all of the above is so good then what's the problem with me buying Harbor Freight or shopping at WalMart.

But our imports far exceed our exports.

If all of the above is so good then what's the problem with me buying Harbor Freight or shopping at WalMart.

I don't know... I don't have a problem with Harbor Freight or Wal-Mart. I hate being in Wal-Mart, but that has less to do with where they source their products and more to do with it typically being an unpleasant place to be.

Trade balance and its effects is a topic of conversation I don't know enough about to be able to comment on intelligently. I simply wanted to show that billions of dollars and thousands of jobs are being created in the US by foreign investors. That the simple inability to find a good, inexpensive American made wrench is not a good barometer to use to measure the health of US manufacturing.

True, there seems to be little I as a lone person can do to stop the imbalance.

In the small town I live in we have a company headquartered that manufactures store shelving, Syndicate Systems, they are the one that has supplied shelving to Meijer's, WalMart, many grocery chains, and countless small businesses. They were one of the largest employers in our town if not the largest. They are now operating with a skeleton crew as most of their customers have switched to imported shelving and displays.

Like I said, it is what it is.

True, there seems to be little I as a lone person can do to stop the imbalance.

In the small town I live in we have a company headquartered that manufactures store shelving, Syndicate Systems, they are the one that has supplied shelving to Meijer's, WalMart, many grocery chains, and countless small businesses. They were one of the largest employers in our town if not the largest. They are now operating with a skeleton crew as most of their customers have switched to imported shelving and displays.

Like I said, it is what it is.

Maybe it is what it is, but those are neighbors' jobs going away. And there arent necessarily newer, higher paying, higher tech jobs to backfill. Opportunity is abundant, but there isnt necessarily enough to go around completely.

Thus if there is anything that I can do to try to keep it here, I will. Forget lame excuses. Would/should everyone be making jet engines rather than stamping tools? Maybe, maybe not. The practical reality is that if the population is growing, which it is, and more folks need jobs, then the best way to fulfill that is to get the job plus the supporting jobs, not offshore one because it is "less important" or not glamorous. Cant have your cake and eat it too, when it comes to avoiding handouts and social programs yet having people employed and stable. The tax base is only so big, so something has to give, one entitlement or another, one service or another. But that's a discussion for another day.

Unfortunately many of these things died by a million paper cuts. What can one person do, after all?

Stamping out"cheap tools" takes metallurgy, metal from foundries, forging presses and forging hammers and lots of other precision equipment.
Like other industries, the trickle down economics from things made of metal are widespread.

All the companies you cited are foreign based, where do they pay their corporate income tax, the USA?
Even Walgreens is leaving the US as a corporation and basing the company in Switzerland.
You cant legalize and flood the country with 40 million illiterate people and expect them to work in the friggin jet engine or other high tech industry.
Someone has to make plastic bowls and plastic lawn furniture.

The door better swing both ways or you are going to have 40+ million more on the public cow and less corporate tax revenue to help pay for it.
Germany has proven that every industry is important and not every student can or should be a college grad, you need industry to provide jobs for everyone.

All the companies you cited are foreign based, where do they pay their corporate income tax, the USA?
Even Walgreens is leaving the US as a corporation and basing the company in Switzerland.
You cant legalize and flood the country with 40 million illiterate people and expect them to work in the friggin jet engine or other high tech industry.
Someone has to make plastic bowls and plastic lawn furniture.

The door better swing both ways or you are going to have 40+ million more on the public cow and less corporate tax revenue to help pay for it.
Germany has proven that every industry is important and not every student can or should be a college grad, you need industry to provide jobs for everyone.

The tax question is answered in the article.

40 million illiterate people? Where are you getting your numbers from? No wonder you think the problem is so bad, you're literally multiplying the issues to make them many times worse than they actually are.

They calculate 11 million illegals right now. When they give this gang amnesty the next gang will be waiting. I have read figures over the last few years that over a ten year period between 30 and 50 million.
Quote:
My estimate of 38 million illegal aliens residing in the United States is calculated, however, using a conservative annual rate of entry (allowing for deaths and returns to their homelands) of three illegal aliens entering the United States for each one apprehended. My estimate includes apprehensions at the Southern Border (by far, the majority), at the Northern Border, along the Pacific, Atlantic, and Gulf of Mexico coasts, and at seaports and airports. Taking the DHS average of 1.2 million apprehensions per year and multiplying it by 3 comes to 3.6 million illegal entries per year; then multiplying that number by 10 for the 1996–2005 period, my calculations come to 36 million illegal entries into the United States. Add to this the approximately 2 million visa overstays during the same period, and the total is 38 million illegal aliens currently in the United States.

http://www.cairco.org/issues/how-many-illegal-aliens-reside-united-states

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/9/nearly-20m-illegal-immigrants-us-ex-border-patrol/

The problem is much worse than i am thinking, many not illegal Spanish speakers (which should be illegal to speak in schools IMO) are dam near illiterate and not counted and its getting worse by the day.
America is catering to the worlds unwashed, TB infected, uneducated masses and American taxpayers are footing the bill.

The tax question is answered in the article.

No it isn't! Tell me where those companies pay their corporate taxes. Where are the profits going? The USA? No, back home where they pay tax on it.

Why is Walgreen's setting up headquarters in Switzerland?

Last edited:
America is catering to the worlds unwashed, TB infected, uneducated masses

We're done here. You clearly have some pretty serious hate issues and I'm not interested in being the guy who tries to talk through that. Your xenophobia is driving what you see here, not actual data, so nothing I share with you is going to make a difference.

Have a nice day.

America is catering to the worlds unwashed, TB infected, uneducated masses

We're done here. You clearly have some pretty serious hate issues and I'm not interested in being the guy who tries to talk through that. Your xenophobia is driving what you see here, not actual data, so nothing I share with you is going to make a difference.

Have a nice day.

Cop out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back