antifreeze leak on back corner of engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 02 sl appears to be leaking antifreeze on back corner of engine. So looking at it in the engine bay it's leaking near the corner by the ects and the exhaust manifold. Around that corner. No antifreeze is oil or vise versa. Anyone ever had a saturn do this? I thought usually heads crack and swap oil and coolant. Heater still works good too .must be a small leak.

I am confused, you say "back corner of engine" but go on to say its "leaking near the corner by the ects and the exhaust manifold".

To ME the back corner would be the AIR INTAKE manifold, not the exhaust.. if in fact it is leaking near the air intake I suspect a bad intake manifold gasket.. unless you can tell for sure it is coming from the head gasket.

My brother drove his Lexus to Montana and it starts leaking coolant. He diagnosed it as a leaking head gasket. I drive up there last week to bring him home. I get up there and it's a leaking intake manifold gasket and the hose that runs under it as well. Get some mirrors and good lights and see exactly where it's leaking

Originally Posted By: actionstan
I am confused, you say "back corner of engine" but go on to say its "leaking near the corner by the ects and the exhaust manifold".

To ME the back corner would be the AIR INTAKE manifold, not the exhaust.. if in fact it is leaking near the air intake I suspect a bad intake manifold gasket.. unless you can tell for sure it is coming from the head gasket.

The front of the engine is in the passenger fender area. The leak is where the back corner is near the the temp ssensor and around the corner near the exhaust manifold. If you are looking at it in the car the exhaust manifold is in the front of the car the far right corner of the block and around the corner going to the ects is where it's leaking.

On third gen saturns the intake manifold gasket gets smooshed at the #1 cylinder which is on the opposite corner from your problem. Still, yours might be an oddity. Coolant goes through the throttle body too, which is closer.

If someone has pulled the ECTS to check for crackage, then replaced the old (good) one, it could have worn off the built in pipe sealer. So it could be leaking there even though it's tight.

its not magic, there is a leak somewhere. fill up the radiator, start the car up, put on some goggles, and look for the leak.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
its not magic, there is a leak somewhere. fill up the radiator, start the car up, put on some goggles, and look for the leak.

Passed a pressure test and hasn't leaked since drove 45 miles and nothing not a drip. Last night I did tighten the ects and it wasn't loose but it did tighten up some. Maybe it was leaking. I still have the dexcool in it as well.

Gm does spec walnut pellets or the equivalent of the powdered original bar's leaks in some vehicles. I wouldn't add a full dose, but I'd consider adding a bit to see if it helps, since the leak seems to be tiny.

I think I have some that I haven't used. You're on a budget so I'd send it to you if you don't have any.

+1 GM does have the tabs and they work very well without clogging up the works. They are ginger root and almond shell (IIRC it was previously walnut).
The almond shells perform some minor cleaning by scouring and the ginger root does the actual sealing.

Get the large pack tabs for the N* and use 3-4 for a 4cyl, make sure to crush them first and mix with a bit of coolant unless you have a N*.
These are made by Bar's Leak and were sold as a powder at one time as Bar's Leak Gold.

These are the same as GM >50% ginger
http://barsproducts.com/catalog/view/6-radiator-stop-leak-tablets-hdc

I get these, same thing just a bigger tab and much cheaper.

http://barsproducts.com/catalog/view/30-difm-professional-cooling-system-treatment-j-100

http://www.amazon.com/Bars-J-100-Cooling-System-Treatment/dp/B003RGBUTE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back